Loch Shiel^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Hamish

Loch Shiel^

Post by Hamish » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:57 pm

Looking at maps and thinking about next years trips. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paddle from Loch Shiel down the river Shiel and into the sea near Loch Moidart (in a sea kayak). Any hazards or portages?

If so Loch Shiel like a good way to start a trip with some friends who are relatively new to sea paddling.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

hamish

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:58 am

Less than a km, must be possible at high tide...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:07 am

Not done it, but having looked over the bridge a few years ago I'd say it should be possible, certainly at high tide.

Loch Sheil is certainly a pleasant paddle.

Mike

RichardCree

Post by RichardCree » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:47 am

Hi, we did it as a club trip 2 years ago, ended up in Loch Ailort, the shuttle only takes 20 minutes. 3 things to be aware of.

1. if the loch is high the 90 degree bend under the bridge is a bit confused, not a good place for beginers.
2.when the river mets the sea you ideally want to be at high tide, at low tide there is a shoot that drops about 2 metres, you can portage this if you want. (this is the only place i ever fell out a sea kayak)
3. the guy who looks after the river for the fisherman is an arse, he got it in to his head that our sea kayaks were damaging the fish and there environment and wanted us to carry boats the distance.

it does make a really nice trip.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:10 pm

Yep, did it about 20 years ago in sea kayaks, no problems then, apart from the sh*t of a gamekeeper or whoever who made a nuisance of himself.

I've an ambition to paddle down loch Shiel, down the river, then back up loch Ailort, getting the train back to Glenfinnan ... some day.

Hamish

Post by Hamish » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:33 pm

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of taking a week and paddling down the Loch, camping one night on the way if possible(?), out into the sea up towards Knoydart (Lochs Nevis Hourn, etc) ending back at Mallaig to catch the train back to the car.

Shame about the 'keeper- I thought angling and kayaks had a better relationship north of the border!

Hamish

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:54 pm

Camping no problem - come in to Glenaladale, or if you want to come further down there is a campsite at Austinscroft. Mike

steve crofts

Post by steve crofts » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:54 pm

Hamish try to start your trip on a Sat that way you have Sun to finish the loch and run the river with no problem from the anglers.A good Sat night
camp is at Camas Crom where the Glenaladale river comes out,nice campsite with freshwater.Try to get high water for your exit into Loch Moidart,that last 100 metres is a bit daunting when the tide is out.
Regards
Crofty