High Force

Inland paddling
ShaneOHara

Re: High Force

Post by ShaneOHara » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:54 am

RichA wrote:
cp wrote:He said he goes free climbing so what he did was not even hard for him but easy and relatively safe to set up.
What do you mean by this? Your poor use of climbing terminology suggests you don't really know what you're talking about.
He means using ropes for protection as you might while free climbing, seems perfectly clear to me.

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:57 am

Adrian Cooper wrote:It made sense to me. I don't do climbing so I don't use 'climbing terminology', maybe cp doesn't either. Do 'hard' and 'easy' have definite meanings in climbing circles?
yes...
The adjectival grade attempts to assess the overall difficulty of the climb taking into account all factors, for a climber leading the route on sight in traditional style. In the early 20th century it ran Easy, Moderate, Difficult, but increasing standards have several times led to extra grades being added at the top. The adjectival grades are as follows:
Easy (rarely used)
Moderate (M, or "Mod")
Difficult (D, or "Diff")
Hard Difficult (HD, or "Hard Diff" - often omitted)
Very Difficult (VD, or "V Diff")
Hard Very Difficult (HVD, or "Hard V Diff" - sometimes omitted)
Mild Severe (MS)
Severe (S)
Hard Severe (HS)
Mild Very Severe (MVS)
Very Severe (VS)
Hard Very Severe (HVS)
Extremely Severe (E1, E2, E3, ...)
The Extremely Severe grade is subdivided in an open-ended fashion into E1 (easiest), E2, E3 and so on.
Although climbing has many grading systems.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:04 am

So a hard climb will be equally hard for a skilled climber as for a duffer like me? I would have thought that a skilled free climber might find any particular feature easier to climb than I would. I suspect that is what cp was suggesting.

ShaneOHara

Post by ShaneOHara » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:10 am

Adrian Cooper wrote:So a hard climb will be equally hard for a skilled climber as for a duffer like me? I would have thought that a skilled free climber might find any particular feature easier to climb than I would. I suspect that is what cp was suggesting.
I suspect cp wasn't attempting to grade a climb, merely stating the relative ease (in general terms) in which a free climber might be able to set-up rope protection at High Force within the context of the discussion.

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:21 am

Adrian Cooper wrote:So a hard climb will be equally hard for a skilled climber as for a duffer like me? I would have thought that a skilled free climber might find any particular feature easier to climb than I would. I suspect that is what cp was suggesting.
Couldn't agree more the use of common words is a bit awkward, as something like hard is relative to the person. There is a technical grading 1 through to x (currently 8 I think) with sub grades (so a 6a is easier than a 6b), but the easy through ES system is a bit like the various times that people in kayaking have tried to add some notion of consequence to the technical grade. For example the grade 2 river that would not be suitable for a newb as there is a massive waterfall below it without much fishing out space, or a continuous grade 3 in a walled gorge in the middle of nowhere, so an easy section to climb with severe fall out if things did go wrong will be bumped up in these grades.

I think Shane is correct in that cp wasn't referring to the climbing grades, but I wanted to answer your question in that yes a Hard climb could have specific meaning in climbing
Graham Stradling

RichA

Post by RichA » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:28 am

Adrian Cooper wrote:It made sense to me. I don't do climbing so I don't use 'climbing terminology', maybe cp doesn't either. Do 'hard' and 'easy' have definite meanings in climbing circles?

Sorry, perhaps I was misleading as I wasn't talking about easy and hard climbs. Interesting sub-discussion though!

CP implied that the OP would've found the whole setup was 'not even hard' because he was a 'free climber'. The OP had actually said he was primarily a free soloist rather than free climber*. As such he may not even use or be aware of rope systems needed for something like this, as I suspect they would be quite complicated due to the change in loading angle.

It just struck me as odd that cp felt knowledgable enough to say that it would be easy (which it certainly wouldn't be for most people), but wasn't familiar with climbing terminology in the first place. Didn't mean to throw the debate this far off track!

Back on topic...!

(cp, if you know more than your post implied then I'm sorry if I caused any offence! Re-reading it, it may have come across a touch abrubtly.)

* Free climbing implies using rock protection and ropes, as opposed to free soloing which does not involve ropes. The OP implied he did free soloing.

cp

Post by cp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Free climbing is without ropes to me, using ropes is just climbing, and sport climbing with ropes pre set up, so his climb out over such a short distance would have been easy and with little risk to himself. To most this seems stupid but to someone who does this all the time it is just a short climb. All the video shows would be easily set up without ropes etc. Had he intended to go over the edge he would have got back in and carried that out. The video was just to cause discussion.

I don't take offence you have your opinion I have mine cest la vie

ShaneOHara

Post by ShaneOHara » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:50 pm

cp wrote:Free climbing is without ropes to me, using ropes is just climbing, and sport climbing with ropes pre set up, so his climb out over such a short distance would have been easy and with little risk to himself. To most this seems stupid but to someone who does this all the time it is just a short climb. All the video shows would be easily set up without ropes etc.
Ha, well I got that wrong!
cp wrote:Had he intended to go over the edge he would have got back in and carried that out.
Why didn't I think of this, genius!

elliott42kev

Post by elliott42kev » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:31 pm

Interesting reading the conspiracy theories which have
followed the earlier posts but if you look at the early
footage, from you will
see that a cushion wave formed across the rocks on
river left, at the edge of High Force. With his boat
pinned horizontally across these rocks, he's able to
grab a rock and the flows help push him into eddy!

Unless he had calculated that he could fake it if he
had the balls to capsize and pin his boat against those
rocks, a pinning for once may have actually saved
somebodies' life!

banzer

Post by banzer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Love how this thread runs and runs! I suspect it will continue to until someone,well, just goes and runs it.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:47 pm

a Bit of topic but theres alittlemore to climbing than what has been said.

Trad (traditional) you climb with a rope but place your own protection as you go up, you tend to climb above this.
Sport, as you climb you clip into pre placed protection usualy bolts but are still climbing above your last bit of protection.
Solo, Climbing on your own with no protection/ropes
Free same as above but may be in a group
Bouldering, Climbing small problems usualy powerfull moves.
Aid climbing, Climbing but using tools to gain hight or direction, usualy on big walls or mountaineering.

what is used indoors is commonly know as top roping,as the rope comes from above and idealy if you fall the fall factor will be 1 which is minimal.

These all use different grading systems

mikeyd

Post by mikeyd » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:02 pm

cp wrote:Free climbing is without ropes to me, using ropes is just climbing, and sport climbing with ropes pre set up, so his climb out over such a short distance would have been easy and with little risk to himself. To most this seems stupid but to someone who does this all the time it is just a short climb. All the video shows would be easily set up without ropes etc. Had he intended to go over the edge he would have got back in and carried that out. The video was just to cause discussion.

Oh I’m sorry, is that what you would’ve done? Having narrowly escaped an upside down kicking that likely would’ve killed you, you run round to chase your paddle downstream then after catching it come back to the pool to find your boats gone over the falls so you fish it out, and all the foam and shite that’s been washed out of it, only to find its got a great big dent in the tail. Your minds frazzled and your adrenaline glands are shot but you look up at high force and think to yourself ‘by effing crikey I am bloody lucky to have escaped that, time for round two! I’ll just re-fit all the foam into my boat, hope the dent in the back isn’t leaking and stagger back to the top.’ Have a word mate, I was only nuts enough for one go. Not sure why everyone keeps describing my boat as ‘undamaged’, its back end got stoved in, which I have stated, but thankfully got popped out when I left it in the baking sun on top of my van.

And the ropes, oh the amazingly easy to set up ropes (for the record I do have experience with ropes but f*** me I would not know where to start with setting up a rig to stop me going over high force while at the same time being capable of switching locations and remaining invisible, maybe I missed that chapter of the climbing instruction book). Watch the videos, both the film and raw footage, and you’ll see that there are times when a rope would have to be visible but isn’t. Also when I capsized I ended up on my offside, so what is the rope doing at this point? It would be wrapped under my boat (apply some logic here and you’ll see) so if anyone was at the other end reeling me in when I got near the lip of the falls, it would drag me back under. That’s if it hadn’t got wrapped round my neck when I capsized. And if there was some stretch in the system, as there often is with ropes, and I ended up just over the lip, jammed in my kayak, with the rope jamming me in the flow and no way of getting me out? I gambled my life for a hoax to try and impress faceless people like you? I tried to run those falls for my own reasons, and now over 5 months later I’ve made a film about it because I think it was worth sharing. Not advertising anything, not trying to get myself sponsored since I don’t even paddle anymore. Just sharing it.
Your theory is lame but you’re trying to make it work for some reason, maybe you wanted a pop at the falls yourself and you’re annoyed someone else tried it first. I don’t know, don’t care.
Don’t start calling me a liar unless you can back it up, which obviously you can’t. I guess when you run the falls successfully you’ll understand the currents and flows better. I await the footage covering every possible angle.

I did say I wasn’t coming back on here but when people keep saying ‘oh man have you read the stuff they’re saying on ukriversguidebook?’ when I can’t resist having a look. Fair enough to the people who think it was an idiotic thing to do, at least they know it was real. To everyone who had something constructive to say, you have my thanks. To the big sweeping statements about how its a hoax, I hope you're happy sitting on your computer pissing me off, because it won't change the fact I tried to run High Force man and my kids will tell their kids and they will tell theirs.
Never turn your back on the Sea.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Rdscott wrote:what is used indoors is commonly know as top roping,as the rope comes from above and idealy if you fall the fall factor will be 1 which is minimal.
But then if you apply the same technique outdoors, with an anchor rigged at the top and belayer on the floor you'll find some people calling it "bottom roping"... and reserving "top roping" for having the belayer at the anchor at the top, like bringing up a second but without the need for the climber to actually take any gear out.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:39 pm

mikeyd wrote:
cp wrote:Free climbing is without ropes to me, using ropes is just climbing, and sport climbing with ropes pre set up, so his climb out over such a short distance would have been easy and with little risk to himself. To most this seems stupid but to someone who does this all the time it is just a short climb. All the video shows would be easily set up without ropes etc. Had he intended to go over the edge he would have got back in and carried that out. The video was just to cause discussion.

Oh I’m sorry, is that what you would’ve done? Having narrowly escaped an upside down kicking that likely would’ve killed you, you run round to chase your paddle downstream then after catching it come back to the pool to find your boats gone over the falls so you fish it out, and all the foam and shite that’s been washed out of it, only to find its got a great big dent in the tail. Your minds frazzled and your adrenaline glands are shot but you look up at high force and think to yourself ‘by effing crikey I am bloody lucky to have escaped that, time for round two! I’ll just re-fit all the foam into my boat, hope the dent in the back isn’t leaking and stagger back to the top.’ Have a word mate, I was only nuts enough for one go. Not sure why everyone keeps describing my boat as ‘undamaged’, its back end got stoved in, which I have stated, but thankfully got popped out when I left it in the baking sun on top of my van.

And the ropes, oh the amazingly easy to set up ropes (for the record I do have experience with ropes but f*** me I would not know where to start with setting up a rig to stop me going over high force while at the same time being capable of switching locations and remaining invisible, maybe I missed that chapter of the climbing instruction book). Watch the videos, both the film and raw footage, and you’ll see that there are times when a rope would have to be visible but isn’t. Also when I capsized I ended up on my offside, so what is the rope doing at this point? It would be wrapped under my boat (apply some logic here and you’ll see) so if anyone was at the other end reeling me in when I got near the lip of the falls, it would drag me back under. That’s if it hadn’t got wrapped round my neck when I capsized. And if there was some stretch in the system, as there often is with ropes, and I ended up just over the lip, jammed in my kayak, with the rope jamming me in the flow and no way of getting me out? I gambled my life for a hoax to try and impress faceless people like you? I tried to run those falls for my own reasons, and now over 5 months later I’ve made a film about it because I think it was worth sharing. Not advertising anything, not trying to get myself sponsored since I don’t even paddle anymore. Just sharing it.
Your theory is lame but you’re trying to make it work for some reason, maybe you wanted a pop at the falls yourself and you’re annoyed someone else tried it first. I don’t know, don’t care.
Don’t start calling me a liar unless you can back it up, which obviously you can’t. I guess when you run the falls successfully you’ll understand the currents and flows better. I await the footage covering every possible angle.

I did say I wasn’t coming back on here but when people keep saying ‘oh man have you read the stuff they’re saying on ukriversguidebook?’ when I can’t resist having a look. Fair enough to the people who think it was an idiotic thing to do, at least they know it was real. To everyone who had something constructive to say, you have my thanks. To the big sweeping statements about how its a hoax, I hope you're happy sitting on your computer pissing me off, because it won't change the fact I tried to run High Force man and my kids will tell their kids and they will tell theirs.
What that there Dad was an idiot? Bet you cant wait for them to be telling that story?!?

Out of interest are you using your outdoor ed (?) degree you got from uni?

mikeyd

Post by mikeyd » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Lancs_lad wrote:
mikeyd wrote:

What that there Dad was an idiot? Bet you cant wait for them to be telling that story?!?

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/file ... ater-0.gif

mikeyd

Post by mikeyd » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:10 pm

Lancs_lad wrote:
mikeyd wrote:

I gave it a shot, it didn't work out. Such is life. Out of interest, have you ever lost a poker game to a nun? Oh wait sorry, are we not doing random questions? Please re-direct all your further statements to the gif of the fat dude on the dolphin, nobody cares about this anymore.

Mikers

Post by Mikers » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Why the spite guys? We're better than this.

Whether you think Mikeyd has balls of steel, or is incredibly foolish, the guy is here and open to discussing the 'why' and what motivated him. If you can't play nicely with those of us genuinely interested, don't play, the alternative will merely ruin the thread for everyone else.

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Mikers wrote:Why the spite guys? We're better than this.

Whether you think Mikeyd has balls of steel, or is incredibly foolish, the guy is here and open to discussing the 'why' and what motivated him. If you can't play nicely with those of us genuinely interested, don't play, the alternative will merely ruin the thread for everyone else.
Spot on.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Dr Robin wrote:

Spot on.
Gotta agree.

As he says "I tried to run those falls for my own reasons, and now over 5 months later I’ve made a film about it because I think it was worth sharing. Not advertising anything, not trying to get myself sponsored since I don’t even paddle anymore. Just sharing it."

Still impressed/astounded that the boat only got a dent in the back [that popped out again!]. Maybe there is a good line down it after all.
dave

Strad

Post by Strad » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:20 pm

DaveBland wrote:
Dr Robin wrote:

Spot on.
Gotta agree.
sounds like a broken record, but me too.
TheKrikkitWars wrote:
Rdscott wrote:what is used indoors is commonly know as top roping,as the rope comes from above and idealy if you fall the fall factor will be 1 which is minimal.
But then if you apply the same technique outdoors, with an anchor rigged at the top and belayer on the floor you'll find some people calling it "bottom roping"... and reserving "top roping" for having the belayer at the anchor at the top, like bringing up a second but without the need for the climber to actually take any gear out.
I've always come across anchor at top and belayer at bottom as still being called top roping (the main way I climbed for many years on all that lovely southern sandstone around Tun Wells), not heard that distinction before - I'l have to remember it just in case :-)
Graham Stradling

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:23 pm

DaveBland wrote:
Dr Robin wrote:

Spot on.
Gotta agree.

As he says "I tried to run those falls for my own reasons, and now over 5 months later I’ve made a film about it because I think it was worth sharing. Not advertising anything, not trying to get myself sponsored since I don’t even paddle anymore. Just sharing it."

Still impressed/astounded that the boat only got a dent in the back [that popped out again!]. Maybe there is a good line down it after all.
I have been reading this thread for a long time - I am really interested in how this thread has grown. I think in this time of social media/forums and youtube it is amazing that people are willing to open up to what they have done, to teh mistakes made and lessons.

Thanks

D
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

ShaneOHara

Post by ShaneOHara » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Fair points above, there was nothing to be gained only lost, so yes my comments were spiteful, so I apologise.

banzer

Post by banzer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:23 pm

A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

TLLRemixH

Post by TLLRemixH » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:20 am

I have never been one to sit back and post my own opinion on any topic over the internet.

Now that this thread has developed and i have watched positive, negative and outright personally destructive comments get posted, I feel the only thing i can do is intervene.

Mike isn't just a lifeless profile name or a paragraph of text. Hes a close friend and companion of whom which i have a lot of time and respect for and shared many a great experience with.

Some of the individuals posts towards Mike have truly offended me. But what does that matter, After all, everyone's entitled to their opinion. But to psychologically analyse and critique someones actions without knowing them isn't right.

I knew about Mikes interest in running High Force months before he did it.
To begin with it wasn't going to be a solo attempt.
It was going to be a structured and supported attempt which had to be carried out whilst avoiding conflict with the local farmers and rangers who patrol the land surrounding the Falls.

Before we were able to finalize a plan for mike to attempt High Force, it was too late.

Something within Mike made him attempt it solo. I didn't find out until the day after when he arrived at my door clearly not in a good place.

As shocked as i was, i wasn't surprised he made the decision.

-Yes it was unsafe
-Yes it was reckless
-His ability was not to the standard to 100% make the run in.
-His Drive was enough to make an attempt

ALL FACTS. Not opinion. All of the above stem from something neither myself or Mike can pinpoint.

What i do know is that Mike has a drive and motivation to push himself regardless of external factors.
Don't criticize the man for that and don't degrade his motivations and decision making.

The videos were made to give closure to a difficult time and event.
I have seen first hand the effect that responses have had on Mike.

Don't Judge him for defending himself.
Its hard to sit back and watch a friend get unfounded abuse.
Why did he post it all on here in the first place?
Closure works in many ways. The positive comments have gone great deal to making Mike understand everything in retrospect.

I dont have anything else to say apart from i know what is true.
Dont expect a reply to further comments specific to this one.

Life is too short folks.
move on...

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:18 am

Good on you for sticking up for your mate.
But to be fair it isn't surprising that there was some cynicism over it - partly by the way the image and vid were released, but mainly down to the sheer risk of it.
Yes he took some stick, but that is what happens on internet forums.
This site seems to be full of pretty decent folk with many highly experienced and wise paddlers. What he got was no worse than any abuse mates would dish out at the pub?

And for the record, i am one of those that believe he gave it a go and that he was very lucky.
Most important thing is your mate is safe.
dave

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:48 pm

TLLRemixH wrote:What I do know is that Mike has a drive and motivation to push himself regardless of external factors.
Don't criticize the man for that...
I'm sorry, but he certainly does deserve criticism for that. Wouldn't you criticise a climber who continued an attempt on Everest in a blizzard?
TLLRemixH wrote:...don't degrade his...decision making.
Don't we have the right to question his or anybody else's decisions? Having said that, any criticism should be respectful and not abusive. I hope mine has been?

John K

Post by John K » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:09 pm

TLLRemixH wrote: Why did he post it all on here in the first place?
Because he was actually rather pleased with himself and hoped the audience here might think he was cool? :)

joneduk

Post by joneduk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Anyone know if this video still exists?

Was wanting a friend to see it.

feedbackproblem

Post by feedbackproblem » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:15 pm

Does anyone want to see a video of someone jumping off High Force?

Thought so...

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/ ... ef=mr&lp=1

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:06 pm

Fairly depressing set of comments in the article, just you kids stick to TV and shopping.