Lundy Guide

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Lundy Guide

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:35 pm

I've just written this for publication...if you know Lundy, could you please skim through the draft? Let me know if I've said anything inaccurate, dangerous or just plain stupid.

Cheers,

Mark Rainsley
---------

51°10' North 04°40' West

Paddles Magazine Touring Guide – Lundy Island

'There's a feeling I get, when I look to the west and my spirit is crying for leaving.'

Led Zeppelin, ‘Stairway to Heaven’

On most days, paddlers surfing at Woolacombe, or exploring the North Devon coast by sea kayak, won’t see it. But on the occasional clear day, suddenly it is right before you, impossible to miss. It fills the horizon, it blocks out the Bristol Channel and it seems improbably, confusingly huge. How is it possible that you didn’t spot this before? Three miles long, four hundred and seventy feet high. An enormous block of granite, with lighthouses guarding the northern and southern extremities and a third towering a hundred feet above the highest point. Where all of this appear from? This mysterious propensity to materialise from thin air has lead to identification with the mythical Isle of Avalon, last resting place of King Arthur. We know it as Lundy Island. A visit to Lundy should be placed high on any sea paddler’s wish list. You need to go there. Just trust us on this one.

The Crossing

How are you going to get there? The open crossing from North Devon is an intimidating barrier. Lundy is eighteen miles west of Morte Point and eleven miles north of Hartland Point. These distances are compounded by the very strong tidal flows in the region. Are you up to this trip? Quite possibly you are, as long as you are fully aware of all the factors that need to be taken into account for a safe trip. The main thing to grasp is that a paddle to Lundy requires no heroic paddling ability or outlandish risk-taking, just good planning and common sense. Any group of competent sea kayakers could consider this.

Good weather is obviously a pre-requisite. Look for several days of high pressure and low wind in the forecast, and little or no groundswell (check the surf forecasts). Winds from the east are to be avoided, as they make landing and launching on Lundy awkward. Carry equipment, food and supplies for an extended stay, whatever your plans…the weather can turn on you! Before the crossing and after landing, you will of course call Swansea Coastguard via VHF or mobile (01792 366534) to notify them of your plans. All of the standard sea kayaking safety equipment will naturally be carried. A GPS with your destination pre-programmed won’t get you to Lundy, only your own navigation will achieve that. It may however offer useful reassurance - in those initial hours when you can’t see the island yet - that Lundy really is out there somewhere!

The longer of the two crossings is perhaps the simplest to plan and execute. Starting from Lee Bay (or Ilfracombe) the full distance is over twenty miles. With a launch window just after high tide however, the tide flow is almost behind you. You will be slingshot along your course at speeds of two to four knots before you even put a paddle in the water! The flow drags you slightly south of your destination, so devote a little time with tidal flow charts, map and compass to finding the appropriate bearing to compensate. Depending upon the tides and the pace of the group, between three to four hours is normal for the crossing time.

The more direct crossing, from Hartland Quay via Hartland Point, is actually a bit trickier to pull off. From spectacular Hartland Point and its lighthouse, the tide flows strongly across your path. Although Lundy is closer via this route, a carefully pre-planned ferry glide will be needed to ensure that you don’t miss and end up in South Wales! This is clearly a crossing choice for more experienced sea kayakers.

Whatever your chosen crossing, there is only one viable target…the Landing Beach on the Southeast edge of the island. This has a jetty and small sea wall, and is sheltered from westerly and southerly wind and swell.

With either route choice, bear in mind that you will encounter the strongest tides and possibly the most demanding conditions in the tide races (and associated eddies) near the start and end of your voyage. Your journey back to the mainland? Well, simply reverse the tides, times and bearings. What could go wrong?

A final option is to take the ferry. The MV Oldenburg belongs to Lundy, and makes regular crossings from Bideford or Ilfracombe between April and October. Owners of folding or inflatable kayaks could easily transport their craft this way. The Oldenburg doesn’t usually carry full-sized kayaks; however they have been known to strap sea kayaks to their decks on the return trip when the weather has unexpectedly turned foul. This will only happen entirely at the discretion and good will of the captain and Island Manager, after significant money has changed hands.

Camping and Exploring

Camping on Lundy needs to be pre-booked (and prepaid) with a limit of around 40 spaces, due to the finite amount of fresh water available at the campsite. Call the Lundy Shore Office (01271 863636) to arrange this. The 2005 costs were £9 a night, plus £3.50 landing fee.

Those wanting a bit more luxury might consider a bit of extravagance…the Landmark Trust (01628 825925) rent out over twenty Historical properties on the Island…why not stay in a lighthouse?

From the Landing Beach on Lundy’s east coast, a steep road leads up to the plateau on top of the island. If you are lucky, you and your gear might get a lift to the top from one of the Wardens. If not…it’s a long slog when you are weighed down by dry bags. Make sure that you leave your sea kayaks a long way above the high water mark; more than one paddler has sacrificed their boat to the seven metre tides!

Reaching the top of Lundy is like landing on another planet. Despite boasting a grand total of twelve permanent residents, Lundy has a small shop and Post Office, a church and possibly the best pub anywhere in the British Isles, the marvellous Marisco Tavern. Lundy even has its own beer… there is no reason to ever leave. Inside the Marisco, seek out the ‘Sea Kayaking Book’ and record your visit. This tatty tome dates back to the Eighties, and includes many names that you will recognise.

A visit to Lundy isn’t complete without a walk around the coast. There is so much to see and explore, it’ll take longer than you allow for. Look out for the endemic Lundy Cabbage; it’s honestly more exciting than it sounds. Take your binoculars as the wildlife is rampant, from Soay sheep to pygmy shrew to tiger moths, to the ever-screaming seabirds above. If your legs have any strength left, climb to the top of Britain’s highest lighthouse. This is long since disused, as it was found that cloud regularly obscured the light from sea level.

Circumnavigating Lundy

The paddle around the island covers about nine miles if you explore the nooks and crannies. It requires a little forethought for several reasons. Landing is difficult or impossible for most of the trip. The west coast of the island is exposed to the Atlantic swell. The ‘Hen and Chickens’ tide race forms around the Northern tip of Lundy, whilst, named less ambiguously, ‘The Race’ guards the Southern edge.

The seas around Lundy are England’s only statutory Marine Nature Reserve, with restrictions imposed on fishing and diving. This is because the waters harbour a unique diversity of habitats and inhabitants; Lundy literally teems with life. Encounters with the cetacean folk who feed on this oceanic banquet are commonplace; Lundy’s seals are Grey Seals, Britain’s largest mammal. Consider taking a diving mask to get the best out of the Reserve…there is an awful lot going on down there…

The bird life is predictably impressive, this being Southwest England’s biggest seabird breeding colony and a stopping off point for innumerable migratory species. The very name ‘Lundy’ derives from Old Norse for ‘Puffin Island’. Guillemots, Razorbills and Manx Shearwaters are actually a more common sight as the Puffin population has taken a battering from non-indigenous rats. Puffins are still hanging on in there though and can often be seen swimming and fishing near Jenny’s Cove.

It hardly needs pointing out that the coastline itself is spectacular. A rock by rock description would fill a telephone directory; suffice to say that the smooth granite on the west coast is internationally renowned among rock climbers. Look out for the ‘Devil’s Slide’, a 120 metre high smooth ramp soaring up from the sea…the seal launch from Hell? Lundy has at least thirty-seven sea caves and they are, well, cavernous. One near the north of the island is reputed to extend back more than two hundred metres! Whilst wrapped up in this granite rockhopping wonderland, remember that the seals were here first…explore with care and sensitivity.

Further Reading

‘Lundy and Irish Sea Pilot’ by Imray Norie
Ordnance Survey Explorer 139 – Bideford, Ilfracombe and Barnstaple
‘Small Craft Sea Touring Guide: North Devon, Somerset and Avon Coastline’ by Nigel Hingston
‘The Lundy Companion’ by Michael Williams and Peter Rothwell
‘Island Studies: Fifty Years of the Lundy Field Society’ edited by R.A. Irving

Useful Websites

http://www.lundyisland.co.uk
http://www.lundy.org.uk
http://www.lundy.org.uk/dive/tide.html – indispensible tidal flow charts.
http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/lundy - photos.
http://www.crowng.com/lundy - ferries.
http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/otherOptions/lundy.htm - accommodation.
http://www.lundybirds.co.uk
http://www.english-nature.org.uk/virtualtours/Lundy
http://www.lundyisleofavalon.co.uk/lundy - barking mad, but compelling.
http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:00 pm

Looks pretty good to me! I think we need to go back next summer...

Zoe

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:57 pm

I was thinking of pencilling in the May Day Bank holiday weekend next year...28th April to 1st May. I will try to make a big advance booking....and then pray for good weather!
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:58 pm

don't forget to get people to send their postcards with the unique Lundy stamps!

Oh, and apparently there's a log book in the pub for sea kayakers to sign, though the one time I was there we didn't know about it. Having said that we didn't have long on the island having only popped over for lunch...

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:45 pm

Bertie.. wrote:Oh, and apparently there's a log book in the pub for sea kayakers to sign
Yes, I mentioned that in the article. We signed it - there are some notable names in the book, felt quite intrusive scribbling ours in there too.

A second draft has now gone off for publishing.

Thanks,
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Quest 129

Post by Quest 129 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:27 am

A first class tempter covering plenty info in a short draft. Having been to the Faroe Islands on 3 occasions I noted the faroese word for puffin was lundy.

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:23 am

guidebook wrote:
Yes, I mentioned that in the article. ,
that'll teach me to read things properly... ;-)

runswick2000

May day visit to Lundy

Post by runswick2000 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:49 pm

Wow, sounds cool, can you count me in for any trips there next year. Is it OK to snorkel there? I guess it is......
Perhaps the greatest flaw in democracy is the idea that, if a majority of the population believes arrant nonsense, it somehow makes the nonsense true.

Lifeboat Scrapbook

Chris Bolton

Snorkelling

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:53 pm

Runswick wrote:Is it OK to snorkel there? I guess it is......
Browsing Mark's links I found a zoning map for the Marine Nature Reserve which shows only a small area where snorkelling is permitted.

Chris

runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:38 am

Fascinating, curious though that snorkelling is only allowed in the recreational zone whilst diving is allowed in all but the archaelogical one.........perhaps this snorkelling ban is just advisory based on the fact that your average snorkeller is less well trained than a diver and as such is less able to cope with the currents?
Perhaps the greatest flaw in democracy is the idea that, if a majority of the population believes arrant nonsense, it somehow makes the nonsense true.

Lifeboat Scrapbook

Chris Bolton

Snorkelling

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:35 am

I agree, I found that odd. Given that it's in the rules for the Marine Nature Reserve, I think it is less about personal safety and maybe more in the expectation that divers will have had more training and experience and thus a better understanding of sensitive environments?

Alternatively, (I don't dive or snorkel so I'm guessing) it may be to do with the depth of water, ie, if the sensitive aspects are in shallow water, no snorkelling; if they are in deeper water, no diving.

Chris

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:45 pm

In mentioning snorkelling in the article, I had a mental image of capsizing wearing a snorkel and checking out the undersea life. Obviously, you roll up when you run out of air.

In honesty though, I've never tried this...how well does it work?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

NickB

Post by NickB » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:18 am

Surely the idea of wearing the snorkel when you capsize is so that you don't run out of air!
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:39 am

guidebook wrote:In mentioning snorkelling in the article, I had a mental image of capsizing wearing a snorkel and checking out the undersea life. Obviously, you roll up when you run out of air.
Most snorkels I have seen are about 30cm long - a snorkelling swimmer swims along typically with the back of his head above the water. Inverted in a kayak, ones head is about 70-80 cm below the water line and the 'top' of the snorkel would be lower still. Its an interesting mnetal image, but sounds a quick way of getting a salty drink!

Dave Thomas

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:15 am

Apologies....I meant a snorkel mask.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Dave @ TRC

Post by Dave @ TRC » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:23 am

Insert a modified snorkel pipe through and into your boat and you can snorkel to your harts content.

Or your air runs out. EVIL LOL

Dave

ps. Didn`t we all do this as kids amazing what u grownups forget.
Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."

WWW.THERIVERCREW.CO.UK

runswick2000

Re: Snorkelling

Post by runswick2000 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:11 pm

Chris Bolton wrote:
Runswick wrote:Is it OK to snorkel there? I guess it is......
Browsing Mark's links I found a zoning map for the Marine Nature Reserve which shows only a small area where snorkelling is permitted.

Chris
Looking at this link again I found the following slightly ambiguous wording:

"There are many hazardous currents and steep cliffs around the island, so seek advice on the island before snorkelling or swimmng elsewhere."

This suggests snorkelling elsewhere is allowed?

I will contact English Nature for clarification before I go.

Lifeboat Scrapbook

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:24 pm

Could it simply be that the water is too deep for snorkelling to be worthwhile in other spots? The currents argument is also plausible since anyone can snorkel but in theory anyway all divers train up before diving in currents.

JIM

runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:18 pm

Jim wrote:Could it simply be that the water is too deep for snorkelling JIM
It would have to be fairly deep !

Lifeboat Scrapbook