vango storm shelter

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Canuck

vango storm shelter

Post by Canuck » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:37 am

Does anyone out there have any experience with this product? It appears to be a decent alternative to the VCP Igloo.

Cheers

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:38 am

I have the large Rosker version. It has performed well as a foul weather shelter during extended lunch stops, has been used during a wilderness first aid course.
It was also used to construct an excellent beach sauna on Mull a few years ago.

Picked the shelter up as an impulse half price buy, now don't travel without it.

Jon

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:19 am

Canuck,

The vango group shelter (biggest size 10-12man?) was standard issue at few outdoor centres I have worked at in the past. Cracking piece of kit and does what it says on the packet. Unlike the VCP one it doesn't have sitched in loops for using it as a temporary stretcher but you can use any group shelter as a temporary stretcher by placing the casualty in the middle of the group shelter and then sveral people (equal on both sides) rolling the excess material tighten in 'roll' and then using this 'roll' of excess material as a handle. Watch your back and remember that the fabric will sag under load.

'Temporary' stretcher - moving a casualty a few hundred metres away from immediate danger to life. Go on a good first aid course ( www.basp.org.uk REC www.pyb.co.uk) and practise this and other basic casualty handling skills in a realistic and controlled manner under guidance from a first aid / rescue trainer.

Has got a large retroflective 'x' on the top of it unlike some of its competitors which may be useful in the worst case scenario. Not the lightest group shelter on the market but very hard wearing. Hope this is of some use to you. Anyone else got views on the Vango group shelter or experience of using it? Group shelter is one of the few items which is always in my kayak or rucsac whether I'm playing personally or working with clients.

CaileanMac

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:04 pm

I have been using one for a couple of years. Very compact and light. Though mine is only a three person one.

For anybody who lives up in Scotland, Vango have their factory sale this weekend. Their factory is located on the A8 just before you enter Port Glasgow. They normally have loads of these for sale.

Canuck

Post by Canuck » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:08 am

many thanks to all. Just what I wanted to know.

Mike

Rich Best

Post by Rich Best » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:22 am

I made the mistake of buying a cheap and cheerful shelter at the Canoe Show in B'ham. Result: wet and annoyed. Buy the real thing!

Richard

Canuck

Post by Canuck » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:40 am

I've just ordered the 4 man Vango from outdoor action. The decision was based largley on CaileanMac's recommendation, specifically the comment about them being hard wearing. I've been wanting an emergency shelter for myself ever since I tried a friends VCP igloo.I figure I might get better use out of an alternate product made with a more durable fabric, as opposed to the igloo, which has more weight and bulk on account of it's webbing.

The sea paddling culture in the Pacific north west seems to differ somewhat from yours. Maybe that's why this is one of those bits of kit you just don't see very often over here.

I'm glad I found this site, it's a handy resource

Mike

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:54 am

JDS Components do an inexpensive range which appears to be of reasonable quality, though not tested by me in outdoor conditions. Does anyone have experience of a JDS Bothy in use?