P&H Delphin Surf Spec

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
coldwind

P&H Delphin Surf Spec

Post by coldwind » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Having demo'd a Delphin 155 in the usual Corelite layup, its gone to the top of my "must have list"

As I sit here working out how I am going to get the funds together, I was wondering whether it is worth upgrading to the surf spec model.

The Delphin will be used as P&H intended - surfing, rock hopping and day trips.

Is there anyone out there who has gone for the surf spec and regretted it or gone for the triple layer model and wished that they had gone for the single layer with the full plate foot rest.

At the moment my personal thoughts are that I prefer the idea of the triple layer but would like the full plate foot rest.

Any advice appreciated

Andy

Kayaks'N'Beer

Re: P&H Delphin Surf Spec

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:12 pm

I got a second hand corelite 155. I've had it out in pretty heavy surf and it was rock solid. Only thing I'd change is (if I had the choice) I'd have gone for the 150 (on account of I'm quite small) but, even then, I have no problems chucking it about like a maniac. Even the 155 is a pretty snug little boat by my standards.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 pm

I too have the Corelite and no regrets after 18 months. One thing that might put me off the surf spec is if it has a vertical foam wall between your legs in the cockpit. It would make some assisted rescues more difficult.

Douglas

briant

Post by briant » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:38 pm

I have the corelite version and with hindsight I would have went for the single layer version. The inner layer on mine has lots of cracks some of which are from impact with rocks and others are from being left high and dry on rocks. These things happen with my kind of rock hopping! This inner layer is not so easy to plastic weld when repairs are needed whereas the single layer build is relatively easy to repair.

The backrest ratchet mechanism has also corroded to the extend that it has fallen apart, don't know why stainless steel hasn't been used when the boat is intended to be used in a salty environment, perhaps newer models have been changed.

A fantastic boat though and when mine finally expires I shall be having another....but it will be a single layer version.

Daker

Post by Daker » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 am

I have a corelite version and cant see me needing anything different but my idea of rock hopping is based on doing my best to avoid the rocks rather than deliberately surfing onto them or doing huge seal launches etc as some others do, although that may well change once I've had it long enough to no longer care.

Regarding the central pillar,I cant see that being an issue for most folk particularly if you paddle river or surf boats already but if you plan to do major rock bashing, perhaps the single layer would be best for you.

coldwind

Post by coldwind » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks for the advice

Looks like the corelite model will suffice for me.

Not in "Briant's" league when it comes to rock hopping and if I ever end up high and dry, then its major panic stations. Respect.

Andy

Daker

Post by Daker » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Daker wrote:I have a corelite version and cant see me needing anything different but my idea of rock hopping is based on doing my best to avoid the rocks rather than deliberately surfing onto them.
Ehm, slight amendment to the above;
During a very enjoyable day's rock hopping around Duncansby Head I had a few altercations with rocks. No big deal I thought but one bit of particularly bad judgement caused a fairly heavy landing on a rock and nasty wee gouge to the skin of the boat which hasn't broken the skin.

However, a look inside also revealed a crack to the inner shell which, presumably, is a lot less flexible than the outer.
As such I would have to say that if I was now buying from new, and planning any rock play, Id definitely go for the single skin surf variant.

So, does anyone know the best way to repair an inner skin crack please ?
I believe there are ding repair putties designed for plastic Royalex (?) canoes, is that the best stuff to use ?

coldwind

Post by coldwind » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:21 pm

However, a look inside also revealed a crack to the inner shell which, presumably, is a lot less flexible than the outer.
As such I would have to say that if I was now buying from new, and planning any rock play, Id definitely go for the single skin surf variant.
Oops !! That's what I was afraid of, a kayak can get quite a hard life in the rock hopping, surf environment and they don't come cheap. I had just about made up my mind on a Corelite Delphin but I really wanted the full plate foot rest. I am now looking at the Hammer which only comes in single skin, white water spec.

As for repairs, if no one comes up with any viable suggestions then maybe P&H can help. After all you can't be the first to suffer this

Daker

Post by Daker » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:50 pm

coldwind wrote: I had just about made up my mind on a Corelite Delphin
That's why I re-posted, hope it helps in your decision process.
I know folk who have had Corelite boats for years without an issue but if you ARE going to be doing some challenging rock hoping ----
Good luck with your choice.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:17 am

Yes I believe you can arrange for a repair with P&H for about £100.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

briant

Post by briant » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Good to know that the inner layer can be repaired. Ploblem is though.... if it costs £100 per crack................then I'll just be saving up for a new boat in preparation for the day when mine sinks! :-)

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:40 am

briant wrote:If it costs £100 per crack................then I'll just be saving up for a new boat
My thoughts exactly.

LookoutLance

Post by LookoutLance » Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 pm

I ordered a corelite but received a "surf".
It was probably very fortunate as I have given this kayak some extremely brutal treatment and it has stood up to the chalĺenge. It is extremely heavy but after 3.5 years of surfing and rock landings there are no cracks except for the small split where the thigh brace and rachet for back band is mounted. (But I was rolling with the sail deployed)
For the sake of a few kgs I would definitely go "surf". I hàve read s lot of stories about corelite that make me wonder about the true nature of the product, yes it is lighter but light don't get you home when you've split your hull on a reef 3 miles offshore.

coldwind

Post by coldwind » Tue May 29, 2018 2:40 pm

I opted for the surf model but it leaked, badly. It was replaced under warranty and I then opted for the corelite model but with a full plate foot rest. I love my Delphin but I don't use it often enough really. For sea kayaking I use my Etain as it's faster and holds more gear and I spend most of my time in a surf boat. I wouldn't part with it tho. Maybe the new MK2 Scorpio would suit better. Lots of volume but it now handles a lot better in following seas, surf. Always on the lookout for the perfect kayak.