NDK Greenlander Race.

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Owen

NDK Greenlander Race.

Post by Owen » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:09 pm

Hi,
Has anyone tried out the NDK Greenlander Race yet?

What do you think of it?

How manoeuvrable is it?

How much kit can you get in it?

What are its bad points?

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:07 pm

Owen,

Seen one last year but didn't get a chance to paddle it. Appears to simply be a just an enlongated Greenlander. Not getting draw into kayak design beyond saying that as a big rule of thumb the longer the boats waterline length then the faster it is.

Can't imagine its that manuovrable unless its edged heavily (see BCU handbook for picture of Colin Johnstone edging his - sea kayaking chapter) but as it's a chined hull it will be easy to engage a fairly 'fixed' edge.

Kit - if you travel fast and light (so you don't break your back carrying all your thingy-a-jigs up to your camp) then you would I imagine get lots of gear in it. Fiona Whitehead managed during her trip around the UK! www.fionawhitehead.com

As to bad points - well it has to said NDK boats do suffer from quality control issues..... they have struggled to get to grips with this over the years and this not mutterings and rurmours but boats that I actual see being used by paddlers and newly bought boats. It's not say though that if you get a 'good' one it wouldn't be good. Check any NDK boat your thinking about buying with a clear head and a very sharp pair of eyes.

Valley have brought out the Rapier, P+H are working on a rival boat to it and Rockpool have made noises about a 'Holyhead Bullet' boat so best bet might be to wait and demo all four boats together next season. Douglas another 'test' for paddles mag with a marathon/sea kayak racing paddler's input? What is the 'fastest' British sea kayak.......?! In 'sea kayaking' conditions i.e. not flat calm seas??!

CaileanMac

John W

Post by John W » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:32 pm

For a fast boat don't rule out Rob Feloy's Inuk. It is not perhaps as fast as the most recent 'racing' sea kayaks but it is a pretty seaworthy boat with a good turn of speed. After all it does currently holf the Anglesey circumnav record...

John W

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:59 pm

Looking at fast boats, some of the other craft in the Nelo stable would look rather entertaining in a big sea..

http://www.mar-kayaks.pt/
(touring boats)

Owen

Post by Owen » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:29 pm

Thanks Cailean & John,
I'm getting a Race out on loan next month for a play, I was really just after other peoples opinions of it; I'll let you know how I get on.
After paddling an old Dawn Trader for far too many years it's now totally knackered. There 's a section of keel about three feet long that's paper thin and daylight and water comes through. I've just patched it up once again but really its beyond repair.
I've decided that rather than getting one boat and trying to do everything with it, what I really would like is two boats; a day boat and an expedition boat. For the day boat I'm looking at a second hand (2 year old) Anas Acuta. For the expedition boat I'm working my way through a long list of possibles; hopefully by the time I've tried them all I have saved up the money to pay for one.

arnold

Post by arnold » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:13 pm

Peter writes in his blog how he is geting on with fast boats like Mosquito.
http://www.unold.dk/paddling/php/wordpress/
http://www.unold.dk/paddling/index.html