Preventing Paddling Related Injury^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
MikeB

Preventing Paddling Related Injury^

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:11 pm

Warm-up / pre-paddling exercises. I recall Cailean taking a group of us thro some nice ones on Bute, not that I can remember them of course! Are there any useful web-resources anyone can point to?

Or diagrams. Or useful reading/reference material?

Mike.
Last edited by MikeB on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattD

Post by MattD » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:20 pm

Both my Physio and Chiro have told me on seperate occassions about the importance of hydration for fending off the aches and pains (i did a little series on 'old' TWP, but can't find it now).

I notice more and more BA's are being designed with this in mind (such as the Astral ones and now some PeakUK ones) such that a hydration pouch can be popped up inside an enclosed rear compartment.
Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.

James F

Post by James F » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:36 pm

(I deleted the former TWP)

Palm have a platypus style drinking device that clips to their bouyancy aids.

However, the single best piece of advise is to generally be active. If you do nothing all week apart from drive to work, sit at a desk, drive home and then watch tele until you fall asleep, there is no wonder your body is not up to unexpected physical exercsion (sic?).

Cycle to work, take the stairs, half an hour walk at lunchtime and a couple of games of ping-pong during the week. Hey presto.

Erling

Post by Erling » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:01 pm

The older I get, the better I used to be.

Ken R

Post by Ken R » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Warm up exercises ought to be the norm for all of us. Even with my knowledge as a Sports Therapist all too often my warm up is to switch on the heater in the car on the way to paddling!

Can I make one plea. It would almost be better to do nothing rather than perform some of the stretches shown in Erling's links. What is required is general warm up and mobilisation of the joints. Many of the stretches shown are static stretches, which should be done at the end of exercise.

The comments about normal lifestyle exercise are also well made - must go for that walk now!

Ken

Owen

Post by Owen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:51 pm

Warm up exercises.

1. Lift Kayak off car roof.
2. Carry kayak Xmetres to the water’s edge.
3. Run from boat to car several times carrying kit you don’t really need.
4. Perform the dance of the seven veils getting changed into your paddling kit.
5. Run back to the kayak, get in and push off.
6. Paddle five strokes, remember something you really do need; turn around.
7. Run back up the beach, search for your car keys, retrieve said article.
8. Run back to the boat and set off again. By now you should be warm enough.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:58 pm

Site for 4 hours, in a car. Arrive at desination. Climb out of car,
Owen wrote:Warm up exercises.

= knackered back - - - -

Mike.

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:00 pm

Owen wrote:Warm up exercises.

3. Run from boat to car several times carrying kit you don’t really need.
4. Perform the dance of the seven veils getting changed into your paddling kit.
5. Run back to the kayak, get in and push off.
6. Paddle five strokes, remember something you really do need; turn around.
7. Run back up the beach, search for your car keys, retrieve said article.
8. Run back to the boat and set off again. By now you should be warm enough.
Owen have you paddled with Dave and I before cause that's us to a tee! Having said that Dave usually waits until we're half way through the trip before muttering those imortal words - Did I put the bags with the keys in the boat? We then spend the other half of the trip debating if we should go back and check! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

H - x

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:46 pm

The simplest way is not to go paddling in the first place!

As for James' suggestions, I cycle to work, but I'm damned if I'm taking the stairs (4 floors) as well, I have to do 3 flights to my flat at the other end!

It seems for years that certain sources have recommended stretching as a warm up for kayaking, when all other sports instruction I've ever had (including PE at school) told me that I need to warm up before I stretch!

Unfortunately I am very bad at remembering to do either.

JIM

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:03 pm

Ken R wrote:Warm up exercises ought to be the norm for all of us. !

Ken
Warm-up ideas Ken?

Mike.

Ken R

Post by Ken R » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:53 pm

Mike,

Packing now as off to the hills for a few days.

Will try to put something together early next week.

Meantime turn up the car heater on the way to the water.

Ken

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:47 pm

Warm up is really basic stuff to get the blood flowing and ease joints and stuff. It is little things shaking your arms and hands, wiggling your feet, maybe a bit of jogging on the spot. GENTLE exercise that uses all your limbs and stuff. You are supposed to build up, so after that you would maybe jog around the car a couple of times jump up and down or something, and then eventually when your body has got all it's zing back you might think about doing some stretching, starting with the easier ones. Do note though thaqt a lot of good paddlers stretches are dangerous if you have had shoulder problems in the past, so stick to exercises and stretches that your physio has given you if this is you.

Once warmed up you want to stay warmed up, so if you are waiting in the snow for the shuttle, have snowball fights, run around and do stuff to keep you moving and warm.

When you get on the river you can do gentle warm up paddling and some boat specific stretching if it's your thing.

I beleive it is called warming up because that is what you are actually doing - warming your muscles prior to exerting them. Hence driving with the heater on will do more for you than arriving shivering and starting to stretch immediately - the latter is going to damage cold tense muscles, with the former they are probably going cool fairly quickly after you get out of the car, but you have a better start point.

One of the reasons I prefer to paddle in warmer climes is that I feel instantly more supple and ready to do something even if all I have done is sit around the campsite eating my breakfast, the muscles are warm from the sun and need less or no warming up.

JIM

Geoff Seddon

Post by Geoff Seddon » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:22 pm

May be a reactionary view and not backed up with any scientific mularky, but I can't see the point in warming up exercises, or indeed stretching, prior to sitting down and doing not so damn much for a few hours.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:46 pm

Geoff Seddon wrote:May be a reactionary view and not backed up with any scientific mularky, but I can't see the point in warming up exercises, or indeed stretching, prior to sitting down and doing not so damn much for a few hours.
Er, you've seen Sean Morley in action - - - ? Not sure how that qualifies as "doing nothing" ;-)

Mike.

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:20 pm

Geoff,

You have a fair point regarding why bother warming up for doing very little whilst siting down for a few hours and MikeB has drawn an example at the other end of spectrum.

It's a case of warming up and stretching to meet the expected activity - fishing from sea kayak for a few hours in the evening or a hard day's paddle in winter or a tida race munching session. The first example requires a next zero warm up, the second example requires a minor warm up and the third requires an through warm up.

There is no rights and wrongs but bear in mind if you don't warm up you are placing your self at a far high risk of straining or damaging muscles and if you don't cool down as well, then you will be stiff and aching the next day or possibly when you get out the car after driving home for a few hours.

CaileanMac

Geoff Seddon

Post by Geoff Seddon » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:00 pm

Yep, I've seen video of Sean Morley working hard to get on the top wave of the Bitches and I have occasionally worked hard myself on various bits of water, but unless we're talking park and play tide races and there are some I'm sure, or banging out through very big surf, then doesn't the hard work come after a period of paddling, during which one may increase steadily one's workrate, in order that one's body and particularly those bits of it which are going to be used most are optimised warm-upwise and further is it not the case that the end of a day/session is characterised by a tailing off in workrate as the destination is reached?

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:33 am

but unless we're talking park and play tide races and there are some I'm sure,
What about that little thing off the end of Wallasey? You can park there. The ice-creams are nice too......for a cool down afterwards.
you've seen Sean Morley in action - - - ? Not sure how that qualifies as "doing nothing" ;-)
I think Geoffs point, is that like Sean, we would normally paddle there, sometimes via the Bishops, but more normally direct from Whitesands, an absolute minimum of 30 mins gentle exercise, which according to our resident physio is adequate for people in their "twilight years":-)
As we get even older I am sure it will take longer, hence an increased cardio-vascular / aerobic workout would seem to be inevitable......

Geoff and I went right off deliberate exercise after we stopped to stretch our legs once and then our footrests were too tight for the rest of the day;-)

Phil