Isle of Mull paddlers^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
adrian j pullin

Isle of Mull paddlers^

Post by adrian j pullin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:16 pm

Hi folks,

Due to having two four year olds, I am being dragged to Balamory in June. Fortunately, we are going with another family, so that means I can get a day off!

Are there any sea paddlers out there who might be up for a day's paddle anywhere around Mull in the first week of June? Are there any guides or centres on Mull? Failing that, what about recommendations for solo trips.

Cheers

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:54 pm

Adrian,

Some many options for paddles (solo) depending on conditions and your comfort level around Mull

1) Out of Finnphort to Iona
2) Finnphort, south to Erraid and the Caribbean beaches....
3) Out of Bunessan and across to the Ardmeanish Penisula with it's whacky geological formations included a fossilised tree in the sea cliffs
4) Staffa & Lunga......
5) North Coast out of Calgary & Dervaig - excellent mixture of rocky coastline
6) Coastline between Loch Buie & Spelve on the SE coast

Take your pick! It's a great island for sea paddling but in the height of the summer getting around the island on the single track roads can erode into your paddling day / session very quickly.

CaileanMac

NickB

Post by NickB » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:08 am

Hi folks,

Due to having two four year olds, I am being dragged to Balamory in June. Fortunately, we are going with another family, so that means I can get a day off!
This must be DeJaVu, or nearly at least, I have two 3 year olds and am taking them to Balamory (sic), we are going with inlaws and others meaning that my some of us will be able to get out for a paddle.

One of our group is a student so we will be going during the Uni summer holiday so this means late June or early September, which would be best for avoiding the dreaded mossie?

For accommodation we have a motor home, my inlaws have a caravan and others maybe camping or prefer to stay either B&B or self catering, obviously we would all like to be staying within a short stroll of each other so does anyone have any suggestions?
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

adrian j pullin

Mull

Post by adrian j pullin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:34 am

For avoiding mossies there is not much to choose between late June and early Sept. They peak in August, but there is quite a lot of variation from year to year.

There is a camp site at Salen which has various options from your own tent through to self catering. It also has the advantage of being central so it is easy to get everywhere on the ilsand. There is also a camp site just outside Tobermory and there are loads of options in Tobermory. A quick web search will through up lots of choice.

Cheers

neilw

Post by neilw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:16 pm

Campsite near Finnphort never gets the dreaded swarm, I didn't believe it till I tried the place for myself in mid July. Not a hit of them for the whole week.

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:33 pm

We're headed over there 27th May - 4th June. You are welcome to join us for a days paddle if you are around then. We haven't made any firm plans yet - just booked the time off work.

Liked the look of the Finnphort area. Where is the campsite there? I have a number for Fidden farm - is that it?

H - x

neilw

Post by neilw » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:49 pm

Fidden Farm, thats the one, as you get to thew village, turn left for the community heritage centre and carry straight on (its about a mlie out of the village)

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:11 pm

The campsite at Fidden is fantastic. Very basic facilities but at least twelve out of ten for location.

Andrea.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:15 pm

If you enjoy a challenge there is a campsite at Craignure, handy for the pub with nice little tent pitches right by the shore. I had never camped on astroturf before and I'm not sure it will catch on.....

Another possibility, which may not be listed by the tourist info, is a farm just after you bear right at a fork between Salen and Ulva Ferry right at the head of the Loch. They have definitely let paddlers use the field in the past, but you will be without facilities so probably no use for young children anyway.

JIM

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:27 pm

I had never camped on astroturf before and I'm not sure it will catch on.....
Its really easy to get your tent pegs out though! particularly with the sand substrate.

Phil

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:53 pm

Pelagic wrote:
I had never camped on astroturf before and I'm not sure it will catch on.....
Its really easy to get your tent pegs out though! particularly with the sand substrate.

Phil
How do you remember that? I thought that morning was mostly a blur for you, much like the previous evening in the pub where your attempts to get Keith drunk backfired on you? :-)

JIM

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:04 am

It was worse than a blur actually, it was like a pain ridden blurry thing with flashing lights and a resonant booming noise, so I remember trying to concentrate on very small things, which at the time was tentpegs. After establishing that I hadnt actually been kidnapped by space aliens and transported to an astroturf planet, I distinctly remember thinking how delightfully they slid out, no effort at all. I then made the mistake of rubbing my eyes to see more of the world than astroturf and pegs and feeling a burning sensation which eclipsed the massive headache and realising it was sand in my eyes, so you see at the time my universe was indeed in a grain of sand, and it was hot and burning and in my eye, leaving a lasting impression. Pavlovian I grant you, but true non the less.........................astroturf on sand, stupid idea.
Mind you it drains lovely

Phil

Ps your right by the way, it will never catch on.

Geoff Seddon

Post by Geoff Seddon » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:22 am

Top Tip -: Never post after the pub, you reveal far too much.

Geoff Seddon

Post by Geoff Seddon » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:23 am

Doh!

NickB

Post by NickB » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:25 am

Jim:
If you enjoy a challenge there is a campsite at Craignure, handy for the pub with nice little tent pitches right by the shore. I had never camped on astroturf before and I'm not sure it will catch on.....
I assume you mean the Shieling Holidays site, why the challenge? you also say right by the shore, does this mean beach, rocks, or cliffs?

Adrian:
There is a camp site at Salen which has various options from your own tent through to self catering,
do you mean Balmeanach Park, Fishnish for the site just outside Salen, although their website makes no mention of self catering so maybe I have got this one wrong!
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:16 am

NickB wrote:Jim:
I assume you mean the Shieling Holidays site, why the challenge? you also say right by the shore, does this mean beach, rocks, or cliffs?
I can't quite recall if it was on rock or tarmac, but they have these great looking squares of astroturf with a sandy/gravelly substrate below. As Phil recollects removing the pegs was a breeze, but forcing them in between the weft and warp of the cloth was a herculean task. We borrowed several rocks from the steep shoreline to place over the pegs that we weren't sure about!

Great spot though if you are only staying one night or something and you aren't expecting a gale!

JIM

NickB

Post by NickB » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:17 am

Adrian,

I am unable to find any reference to a campsite at Salen, as this one offers both camping and self catering it may be just the one we are looking for. From the mass of information sources I have found one of the best is http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/mull.htm, this states:
Designated campsites:

Craignure - Shieling Holidays - from the ferry turn left on the A849. After 400 metres turn left, the site is just past the old pier. Tel: 01680 812496
Tobermory Campsite - Tel: 01688 302624.
Balmeanach Park - Fishnish Tel: 01680 300342.

Other good spots to camp:

Fionnphort - Fidden Farm - map ref. 303215 on Landranger 48 (on entering Fionnphort turn left past the car park, follow the road for 1.25 miles).
Uisken - follow the road to Uisken from Bunessan for 3 miles.
Loch Scridain - map. ref. 513295 on Landranger 48.
Loch Beg - map ref. 532292 on Landranger 48.
Loch Na Keal - map ref. 537412 on Landranger 48 (on flat grassy area between the road and river).
Loch Tuath - map ref. 445424 on Landranger 48 (Eas Fors Waterfalls).
Calgary Bay - map ref. 374509 on Landranger 48 (Next to the river just down from the public toilets).
None of which seems to fit your description of a site at Salen, any more information gratefully received.
Cheers
Nick Benny

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:15 pm

I didn't see any sign of a campsite at Salen last May, is it possible it has closed?

JIM

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:44 pm

There used to be a campsite of sorts (don't know if it still exists) at the head of Loch na Keal where the River Ba flows into it (NM537412). I've never used it and it looks to be just a bit of rough ground between road and loch, probably midge infested! I believe there is a toilet and water supply along the road a bit in the farm buildings at Killiechronan .

Andrea.

NickB

Post by NickB » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:06 am

Having spoken to a lady at Balmeanach Park there is indeed a site at Killiechronan, and as it sounds very basic 'andreadawn' probably has identified the right spot. Doesn't sound too suitable for a family holiday with toddlers! It seems that our best option is to use the Sheilings Site at Craignure.
Cheers
Nick Benny

adrian j pullin

Mull paddle

Post by adrian j pullin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:56 am

Hi floks,

Thanks for all the above. We have booked in to a cottage in Tobermory for the week. Seems a better bet than camping in Scotish weather with 4 year olds.

We are going first week in June, so we'll probably miss Helen M, which is a shame.

Current plan is Sound of Mull, as it looks suitably sheltered for a solo, and the tide runs correctly whilst I'm there.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

ian.miller

Post by ian.miller » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:24 pm

Wouldn't bet on the shelter in the sound. In S. Westerlies when you often think the sound will be OK the wind howls up Loch na Keal over the pass and can really kick up the area round Salen Bay. I've given up trying to decide where the sheltered areas on Mull are likely to be. If you get into a problem on the sound make sure it's near the Fishnish ferry. I seem to remember them using the ramp to pick up a paddler and his boat a couple of years ago

adrian j pullin

Anyone on Mull?

Post by adrian j pullin » Thu May 04, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi

The time for our Mull holiday is fast approaching, so...

Is there anyone out there going to be on Mull first week in June and fancy a day's paddle?

Cheers

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu May 04, 2006 7:01 pm

ian.miller wrote:If you get into a problem on the sound make sure it's near the Fishnish ferry. I seem to remember them using the ramp to pick up a paddler and his boat a couple of years ago
Thats mentioned here

Mike.