Garmin Etrex^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark McK

Garmin Etrex^

Post by Mark McK » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:08 am

Hi

I'm looking to buy a USB data cable for my etrex, I'm wondering if anyone has tried one of the cheaper third party options that are about? Or would I be better just shelling out for the garmin cable?

Cheers
Mark McKerral

Erling

Post by Erling » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:55 am

For what it's worth: My Garmin 60CS came with a USB cable, but I do not notice any difference in performance if I use this one, or the cable that came with the Canon camera, or any of the other USB cables that float around the house.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:06 pm

Got one from Lynks Cables Ltd http://www.lynks.co.uk - £12.95 inc postage, in 2003.

Works fine.

Dave Thomas

John W

Cables

Post by John W » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:43 pm

Yes, I can vouch for cables from Lynks Cables also. They've served me well for a few years now.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:00 pm

I've used Lynks cables as well - they're in Paisley, so Glasgow folk can just go an collect. Were helpful when things went wrong, and I'd use them again.

Not sure that they do a USB eTrex cable, though they certainly do a serial eTrex cable.

If anyone spots a USB eTrex cable, please post the supplier here.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:53 pm

Don't think the e-trex will talk to a USB port directly. I now have a PC with no serial port so use a serial-USB converter cable with the e-trex, but the computer 'sees' that as a serial port.

Dave Thomas

Vulch

Post by Vulch » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:55 am

Thinking of getting an Etrex but would also be using it on dry land in various capacities. Can you upload a map onto it, so you can actually see where you are? I have seen this facility on some GPS units...

Vulch

Erling

Post by Erling » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:20 am

Well, Garmin eTrex is a family of GPS receivers, and you can install maps in some but not all models. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but these are the various types of eTrex, going from simple to more advanced:
eTrex basic (or just eTrex), eTrex Camo, eTrex Summit, eTrex Venture, eTrex Legend, eTrex Vista, eTrex Legend C and eTrex Vista C. (These days they are launching new Cx models too.)

I believe that you need at least a Legend to be able to upload maps. The less advanced units will just plot your track on the display. The "C" models have colour screens, the others are B/W.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:08 pm

Mark, I just bought a cable direct from Garmin and it is parallel port only! Can't get it to work either but I think this may be due to corrosion on connectors on e-trex. not got round to asking them if i can replace the conectors?
Any ideas folks?
Ollie
Developing Desire for Adventure!

SeaDoug

Etrex problems

Post by SeaDoug » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:14 pm

I returned my basic 3 year old Etrex for repair as the battery spring terminal snapped off when changing batteries (fortunately at home, not when afloat). The basic repair charge was quoted at about 75% of the cheapest replacement cost unit, so I asked for them to let me know if it was beyond economic repair.
I received a current model FOC by return post!
I am a fan!
Doug

Mark McK

Post by Mark McK » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:19 pm

Dave Thomas wrote:Don't think the e-trex will talk to a USB port directly. I now have a PC with no serial port so use a serial-USB converter cable with the e-trex, but the computer 'sees' that as a serial port.

Dave Thomas
Sorry, my first post wasn't very clear, it was maore the serial converter bit I was intrested in. The garmin one seems to cost a fair bit, but I have also came across other third party ones at more sensible prices. I've also came across a cable from http://www.gpsw.co.uk which appears to have an in built converter. Has anyone any experience of either of these?

Thanks again
Mark McK

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:50 pm

I got a serial-USB converter lead from Watford Electronics (www.savastore.com) for £14+VAT. Plugs into my existing Garmin-serial lead from Lynks (see earlier post) and works fine. Don't know if a direct Garmin-USB lead is available, let alone cheaper, as I didn't need to proceed in one step!

Dave Thomas

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:41 am

I bought a usb to serial convertor from ebuyer.com and it works with a basic yellow etrex. Less than £10 if I remember correctly