Removing vinyl graphics

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Grian

Removing vinyl graphics

Post by Grian »

Does anyone have experience of removing these? I believe heat from a hair dryer is in order, then alcohol to remove residue. I wonder if this is completely effective, and does it damage the surface? I'm looking at a boat with the majority of the deck covered in graphics and the transparent film around the graphics.
leighv

Re: Removing vinyl graphics

Post by leighv »

Sometimes they’ll actually come off quite easily, but otherwise a hair dryer is usually enough. You do get products specifically for removing sticky residue but I’m not sure whether they’re suitable for polyethylene. Alcohol is probably okay…?
AllanC

Post by AllanC »

A hairdryer or boiling water should do the trick with the decals, use a plastic edge as scraper if needed.

If it's a fibreglass boat and the decals have been on for a while, the gelcoat might be faded. You'll probably be able to polish it to mostly eliminate the fading and bring the original colour back up, but it'll be a bit of work and you'll need a electric polisher. 3m do specific compounds for polishing gelcoat, but they're expensive in themselves.

I bought a boat second or third hand that'd started life with a commercial provider and as far as I know had spent it's life stored outside when I got it, so have been down this road. I found the patchwork of fading more annoying than the decals had been, and although I didn't know what I was doing, I got the boat looking half decent.

If any old glue is left behind, try spraying it with wd-40, it reacts with the glue to make a sticky gel that's easier to remove.

I've no knowledge of polyethylene, I image that fading might also be an issue. The wd-40 thing should be fine on poly as well though.

Allan
Grian

Post by Grian »

Thanks folk! It is a white fibreglass boat so less fading perhaps but perhaps even be whiter under the vinyls, which cover most of the deck. Not impossible anyway and that is encouraging!
nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

I've done this by laying on the thin film brown parcel tape, rubbed well, and then very slowly peeling off the decal and tape together, while carefully watching the leading edge as you peel it off.
CWP

Post by CWP »

I've removed many stickers/labels from many substrates in my time using the slow peel method. However, I didn't know about this method:

After removal many stains come out using an oxalic acid cleaner.

Colin
Grian

Post by Grian »

Thank you all very much, I will never be thwarted by sticky stickers again!

Return to “Sea Kayaking”