New hatch for kayak

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
mrcharly

New hatch for kayak

Post by mrcharly »

I'm thinking of installing a front hatch in my nelo 510. It has a recessed moulding where one would go, but it isn't fitted.

Apart from giving me more room for luggage, it would enable balancing out the load.

Does anyone have experience of these temu hatches: https://www.temu.com/ul/kuiper/un9.html ... xMQAvD_BwE

They look a bit too cheap to be true, but also identical to more expensive models sold elsewhere.
Owen

Re: New hatch for kayak

Post by Owen »

I would have thought a 6ins hatch would be rather small, you'd just about get one hand through.
mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

That's big enough to thread in a sleeping bag, or water bottles and food.

It goes into a sock anyway, so you don't have to worry about it sliding around in the boat.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

I have a 6" hatch internally on my Shrike and I pack my sleeping bag into a lomo gun dry bag after expelling air from it.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Pushing a sleeping bag through a 6ins hatch? You people must take forever to get packed.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Hi Owen
Surprisingly not too long as the sleeping bag is down and the Lomo bag is 1.5m slightly shorter when sealed. Important to pack it in carefully and expel the air and then it weaves into the front compartment. I do however wish I had installed an 8 inch hatch but it's workable.
Owen

Post by Owen »

This is why 99.999% of my kayaking is done solo these days, I just can't believe the amount of faff sea kayakers produce. I came to the conclusion a few years ago that I could not longer stand it.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Good morning Owen
That's an interesting point rippling out from the op's question about a hatch cover. For me it's not a particular faff. I won't take it personally as I know others who are serious faffers but as long as we get on the water at the allotted time it's not an issue.
I'm probably not quite 99.9999% percent paddling with others but generally do so at sea and especially when on multi day trips as that's part of the fun in sharing an experience and seeing how others cope with packing and seeing diverse kit in action.
A note for mrcharly that my hatch cover is the screw type.

Return to “Sea Kayaking”