Scorpio MV

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Troy0474

Scorpio MV

Post by Troy0474 »

I went to the store today to fit a new kayak. after selling the Cetus wich was a lovely boat but I hate scratches and I was more worrying wile paddling than enjoying.

So there were 3 kandidats to follow up the cetus, recreational kayaking, sometimes sea but most of the time flat water...lot's of playing, rescue drills, rolling practice...

I got in to the scorpio and the deck pod was an issue, a little bit to deep to be comfortable, my foot is not bending that far anymore due to some screws or fixed joints. if it would be possible to fit a less deep deck pod then the scorpio MV would be perfect. I tried one two years ago and the cockpit was a bit short but this model seems to have a longer entrance wich is perfect... but the dam deckpod is to deep en there is not enough distance between bottom and pod...

So I got into the Leo and it's a very comfie cockpit but the mz3 version that was available feels very "foldable", the skeg control, rope and cleat is substandard for P&H, anyhow it can be replaced or order de the corelite x. I don't know how this kayak behaves because I found it not enough having a fit like a glove feeling cockpit. very roomy but I did not have to much contact with the boat.

Up for the Delphin to try the cockpit.
Perfect entrance also for re-entry, the ratches give that snug fit feeling and the deckpod is less deep wich creates enough footroom to pass by.
strange that the delphin cockpit feels like the Cetus

So now the big question, I do prefer the scorpio because of the changed cockpit lenght, but hate the to deep deckpod (difference 6 to 7 cm)
this boat leans on the most to the cetus.

the Delphin sits, fits much better but will it fulfil on flat water, isn't it made for something else... or does it track well enough and has acceptable speed...
speed is not that important but beeing superslow is also unpleasant for my friends.

I will try it in a few weeks but knowing that the pod on the scorpio could be swapped out for an other would solve my problem...

thanks for your input
Chris Bolton

Re: Scorpio MV

Post by Chris Bolton »

P&H may be able to advise whether the pod can be removed or replaced. If the Scorpio is otherwise suitable, even cutting the bottom half of the pod off with a Dremel would work, but if you can get the pod out, anyone who does plastic welding could modify it.
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Troy0474 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:15 pm

Up for the Delphin to try the cockpit.
Perfect entrance also for re-entry, the ratches give that snug fit feeling and the deckpod is less deep wich creates enough footroom to pass by.
strange that the delphin cockpit feels like the Cetus

the Delphin sits, fits much better but will it fulfil on flat water, isn't it made for something else... or does it track well enough and has acceptable speed...
speed is not that important but beeing superslow is also unpleasant for my friends.
The Delphin is no racehorse but its no donkey either and it handles superbly in rough conditions, rock hopping and surfing. If speed isn't your overriding consideration, you will be fine. In a straight line I don't have any trouble keeping up in my Delphin 155 with the majority of my peers who paddle boats like Scorpios. Cetus' and the likes.
Troy0474

Post by Troy0474 »

Chris Bolton wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:04 am
P&H may be able to advise whether the pod can be removed or replaced. If the Scorpio is otherwise suitable, even cutting the bottom half of the pod off with a Dremel would work, but if you can get the pod out, anyone who does plastic welding could modify it.
Unfortunatly P&H is not the fastest and clear answerer... the dealer yesterday said he did'nt know. More people asked him about the small space between pod and kayak bottom but I guess as long as they sell they don't bother...

I took a closer look at the scorpio and if they would make a minor deck adjustment, not placing the pod horizontal but follow the contour of the deck it would be a win win situation. the deck slightly changes just a the hatch hole but inside you gain 6 to 7 cm... I can't understand this error. Or build a under deck pod that follows the shape of the deck... how difficult can it be... they probably order them with hundreds

anyhow I'm waiting for an answer of P&H but I doubt if they build it custom or are prepared to make adjustments...

if it's not working the Delphin wil be the new boat on my car, thanks

Return to “Sea Kayaking”