Interesting log books

Inland paddling
swimjimi

Interesting log books

Post by swimjimi »

I had a long paper log book a decade ago, but it was laborious and boring so was either lost in a house move or is hidden somewhere in a loft. I'm looking to do some BCU courses and might need to reconstruct it. Anyone made anything interesting as a way of doing a log book?

There seem to be lots of people doing interactive maps as guidebooks, and I wouldn't be adverse to building my own log book website / map based on data from these (although I'd have to learn lots from scratch). I don't think this would in anyway help my kayaking but would be a bit of fun.

Any interesting ideas of either how this could be a fun project or better still ways to make the logbook something to help me develop my skills instead of just something to show an assessor once and then ignore?
andynormancx

Re: Interesting log books

Post by andynormancx »

I just use a Google Sheets document for mine. I have one sheet for trips, one for coaching sessions I deliver and one for courses I've been on.

On the trips sheet I record various things:

Date
From
To
Via
Miles
Hours
Speed
Type (river, sea, lake, etc)
Wind Force
Tide (days before/after springs/neaps)
Tide range
Boat
With (who I was paddling with)
Notes

I have a few charts/pivot tables driven off that sheet so I can see how much I'm paddling and where.
andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

And yes, I've also occasionally considered creating a website/app to do it 😉
Poke

Post by Poke »

It has been done before, and was used to log fairy glen descents in opposition to the hydro scheme that was proposed a few years ago:

https://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/for ... dle+bubble

However, the paddle bubble website now seems to be defunct.

I know that Rob (the brains behind Rainchasers) considered adding that functionality to the site/app, but didn't have time to do so, so it never happened.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”