P&h Capella nose repair

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
blindsided

P&h Capella nose repair

Post by blindsided »

blindsided

Re: P&h Capella nose repair

Post by blindsided »

I thought I posted a message with those pics!!
My P&h Capella has had a nose bash, a tiny leak on the corner of the edge of the wrinkle. Its a newer round hatch 3 layer PE.
Any suggestions on repair or patch up? I am North West based if there are any reccomends for anyone local who repairs.
Thanks
mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

You could try heating up something smooth (eg a thick screwdriver) and carefully, gently smooth the plastic. (that is what I would do for a hairline crack)

For something larger, I think that cable ties are compatible plastic (someone confirm or refute, please). Melt and smooth one into the plastic.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I've mended that kind of thing in polythene boats using a soldering iron as the heated item. One possible source of extra plastic, if needed, is to take a shaving off somewhere non-crucial, like the inside bottom edge of the cockpit rim. I've not tried it on 3 layer, but the outer layer is the same; it's possible you may find the middle layer melts away and you need more plastic for that reason.
twopigs

Post by twopigs »

mrcharly wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:13 am
You could try heating up something smooth (eg a thick screwdriver) and carefully, gently smooth the plastic. (that is what I would do for a hairline crack)

For something larger, I think that cable ties are compatible plastic (someone confirm or refute, please). Melt and smooth one into the plastic.
Some are - some aren't! Sorry.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!
Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

mrcharly wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:13 am
I think that cable ties are compatible plastic (someone confirm or refute, please).
I'll refute. Cable ties are generally made of nylon, definitely not suitable for welding hdpe. You've been very lucky if that worked for you in the past.

In reply to the OP:

Pyranha sell plastic welding rods, which are rather expensive for not very much plastic at all. They used to be extruded cylindrical rods and I'd have recommended them for a simple weld like that in spite of the price because they were very easy to use - but now they seem to be roughly cut square section rods that have just been chopped off a sheet. Much poorer quality and more difficult to work with, eg: https://www.roho.co.uk/pyranha-plastic- ... ate-colour

I bought a Burn with a massive split in the hull for £50 a few years ago and acquired a lifetime supply of Pyranha plastic for the price of a couple of dozen of those rods, as well as something to practice on before diving in and melting bits of a serviceable kayak.
(Drop me a PM if you'd like me to carve off a bit of that plastic and bung it in the post to you - red not orange though I'm afraid.)

Hot air is the way forward for plastic welding imo, but heating something like a palette knife up might suffice for smooshing over a very small crack that doesn't need any filler material.

The trouble with a DIY repair is the learning curve if you've not done it before though - it's a relatively simple repair but only after you've got the hang of it. And potentially more tricky if its a Corelite-X boat, as the outer layer of higher density plastic is not very thick.

When you say you're in the North West - if you mean North West England, Pyranha are based in Runcorn and I think they do repairs. It might be worth giving them a call to see if you can take your boat back home to the factory to be fettled.
Owen

Post by Owen »

For such a small hole you could try stuffing surfers sex wax in it. Works for temporary repairs on much bigger holes.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Thanks for that tip on surfers wax for repairs. I might cut a small slice to include in my repair kit for my wooden Shrike. I have used melted beeswax to successfully caulk a few micro holes.

I have a pre 2004 plastic Capella which I muse that I could turn into numerous weld rods and recycle it at a profit!? Hopefully there is life in that old plastic dog yet.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Find a local plastic fabricator, they should have someone with the experience to do a good job at sensible cost.
blindsided

Post by blindsided »

Thanks for the replies and thanks for the offer of the Pyranha plastic, thats really kind of you and i might take u up on it if I am struggling, as you said my fear is I make a hash of it!
I am NW UK based, I contacted P&H/Pyranha Runcorn but they dont do repairs unfortunatly. They Suggested Go Kayaking so I have dropped them a message and see what they say.
Ill try the surfers wax as a start, and have a look into some local fabricators as suggested. I did see someone on Facebook advertising Kayak repairs that looked like a plastics place Ill have another look.
Thanks again
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I contacted P&H/Pyranha Runcorn but they dont do repairs unfortunatly. They Suggested Go Kayaking
P&H and Go Kayaking both belong to Pyranha and are on the same site. I think the idea is that Pyranha and P&H are business to business boat manufacture, while Go Kayaking is retail.
Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

I hadn't really looked at the pics properly, it's a tiny crack (I'm not even sure I'm looking at the right bit) - you may not need any filler material, just a good clean and a bit of localised heat.

Disappointed to hear that Pyranha don't do repairs, they were suggested to me when I was dithering whether or not to set out on the learning curve to do some fairly extensive repairs on my Delphin. (The main thing I learned from that is that I'm *never* buying another Corelite-X boat. It's billed as the best of both worlds, but it's also the worst - not so tough that you can't damage it, but a huge pain in the arse to repair if you do!)

Edit to add:
I hadn't read the above when I posted.. If you do end up getting Go Kayaking to fix it I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Return to “Sea Kayaking”