Identification

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Snipes

Identification

Post by Snipes »

Hi folks

I’ve just join this great site so hopefully I’ll have some fun surfing for topics?

I am looking to find out what make and model the White boat is next to the Yellow Nordkapp HM?
The White boat has 10 moulded deck fixing points forward of the cockpit but I can’t find any pictures of this boat anywhere on the internet.

Can anyone ID the boat please and tell me where to find any info on it?

Really appreciate any help.

Snipes

Mark Graham

Re: Identification

Post by Mark Graham »

Anus Acuta?
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Anas Acuta was my first thought. The ocean cockpit is not common these days. The back hatch looks bigger than the one on the Nordkapp, which would make it more recent than the original Anas. It would be useful to have a photo from the side, and of the hull shape, if it has chines that would suggest either Anas Acuta or Sea King. The Sea King is a possibility, because moulds were available anyone, and you could choose how many recessed deck fittings to put on, and where they were. But I don't think the Sea King had an Ocean cockpit.
Owen

Post by Owen »

It's not got the sticky up tail fin so it's not an Anus Acuta.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

It's not got the sticky up tail fin
I can't see the stern well enough to know.

I'm now thinking that the bit of built-in skeg visible in the first photo is reminiscent of a P&H Icefloe. Which does have an Ocean cockpit. Also the bow of the unknown boat looks quite wide, as does the Icefloe. The Icefloes I remember had Henderson screw hatches, but since the lids are off that might be the case.
Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

I hate to say it because the pics are not great, either in quality or perspective, but from the length, ridged foredeck, and most importantly in the 1st pic, the built in skeg, it just looks like another Nordy, but an HM in this case. Extra deck fittings and their placement were an option, given this also has a custom gel coat.

Regardless, from the fittings it's a Valley imo so take a look for the label inside.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

it just looks like another Nordy, but an HM in this case.
I thought that, but in that case surely it would have been sufficiently obvious not to need to ask? The compass recess is the same as the Nordkapp, which I hadn't spotted before. In the second pic, the yellow one looks like a HM too. If the boats were pointing the same way it would be easier!
Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

Well I'm going mainly by this, having owned both an HS and HM, and paddled an Anas, Iceflo and Seaking.

If the OP really wants to know they will submit some better (profile) pics.

To the others, it Anas Acuta btw, not Anus. The duck has a pointy tail, not the other bit (cloaca in its case)
Last edited by Ceegee on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.
Snipes

Post by Snipes »

Gentlemen

I put the pictures put for ID of the white boat because that is all the current owner sent me! I do not have them in my possession so can’t show side profile shots Ceegee.
I ask the questions because I don’t know the answers and they are Not obvious to me obviously Chris Bolton!

For those who tried to help with constructive advise and logic and understand why I’m asking, thank you very much. I didn’t realise Nordkapp were bespoke and that you could chose your number and position of deck fitting along with finished paint scheme of your choice.
Very interesting and helpful comments.
Thanks to all
Snipes
Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

Snipes, you're very welcome. Let us know if you get more. The custom (very '70s) gelcoat suggests this boat has a bit of history!

I doubt it is an Icefloe, due to the flatter foredeck and scalloped cockpit rim well of the latter, and that is the only other (besides a Nordy) with a similar HM skeg.

If it is not hard chined, it isn't an Anas or Seaking, and as I helped fair the original Seaking plug in 1977 I am pretty sure on that one too.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I ask the questions because I don’t know the answers and they are Not obvious to me obviously Chris Bolton!
That's fine! I wasn't suggesting you were asking odd questions, only explaining why I had initially thought it wasn't a Nordkapp.
Mark Graham

Post by Mark Graham »

To the others, it Anas Acuta btw, not Anus. The duck has a pointy tail, not the other bit (cloaca in its case)
[/quote]

Quite right of course. A hangover from a gentle mickey take of a friend with a vintage Anas (which I've enjoyed paddling on occasion). On a rough day it's his anus cutter....
Aled

Post by Aled »

They're both Nordkapps - the white one has custom graphics and extra deck-fittings. Back in the day... those deck-fitting recesses were not part of the mould, but were made by placing vinyl mouldings onto the mould surface prior to gelcoating - there was a standard configuration as per the yellow boat, where the white boat has extra ones. During laminating, a stainless bar was glassed into the raised centre section of the recess and two holes drilled beneath to create holes for the deckline and bungy.
Kayak Designer at Tiderace

Return to “Sea Kayaking”