Peak UK Big Deck

Inland paddling
DaveB

Peak UK Big Deck

Post by DaveB »

Peak UK big deck.
I have just had to bin my peak UK Big Deck. The triangular reinforcement patches around the rim of the deck seem to have just concentrated wear into the areas of neoprene around the edges of the patches and the neoprene has developed multiple holes/areas of weakness.
It may be a poor quality batch of neoprene or a design defect. Has anybody else had any experience similar to this?
Demondave

Re: Peak UK Big Deck

Post by Demondave »

I use the same deck. Not had any issues with it. Might be worth contacting Peak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Franky

Post by Franky »

Sounds like bad design to me. How long have you had it?

I use Playboater decks and have never had this problem with them, because the Kevlar covers the whole of the rim.

With my previous Playboater deck, the bungee rope round the edge split. It doesn't leak and is still usable as a spare, but it's only a matter of time before the stress tears the deck apart.

The deck before that developed holes around the rim between the bungee rope and the Kevlar. It only let a little water in, and was good for about as long as I'd have expected (3-4 years I think).

I think my decks have always been too tight for my playboat, otherwise perhaps they'd have lasted longer. I developed a dumb idea that having a tight deck made it more watertight, but I suspect it just makes it harder to get on and off the boat, and more likely to break.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Nope, I use Peak UK decks, but not that type so haven't seen that problem. Main problem I see cockpit rims cutting through where people don't replace the tape on composite rims when it falls off, but thats not a deck issue, and not relevant for PE boats.
They are usually quite helpful if you have problems, I'd ask them directly.
SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

At the moment I've been finding that an IR deck with a hole in it is drier than a Peak one!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”