Cockpit opening North Shore 17.6

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Tom the Dane

Cockpit opening North Shore 17.6

Post by Tom the Dane »

Hello Everyone,

I own a North Shore Atlantic RM. The cockpit opening is just big enough for me, so that I can sit in the boat and get my legs into the cockpit from a sitting position. I am about to buy an Ocean 17.6. Can anyone tell me if the Ocean 17.6 has the same sized cockpit opening as the Atlantic RM or bigger??

I have a Nordkapp RM where I only get into the boat if I sit on the deck behind the cockpit and slide myself in with stretched legs. As the Nordkapp is quite "alive" this is not without the risk of a swim for me. I would like to avoid that with the Ocean 17.6!!

I hope that someone can enlighten me! Beforehand thanks a lot.

Tom the Dane
DirkZ

Re: Cockpit opening North Shore 17.6

Post by DirkZ »

Hi, Tried -at 1.97 with relatively long legs- several boats here in the Netherlands at multi brand store Arjan Bloem. The GRP North Shore boats have a shorter cockpit that RM ones. The GRP Valley boats (Etain) have a bigger one, but with long legs you still need to move Seat to its aft position (3 settings, standart, forward and aft) Takes a bit of fiddling best done by the retailer. I own an Etain 17.7 and the cockpit is just long enough when doing a scramble re-entry with full dry-suit on with multi layers of fleece garment in winter conditions.
P&H has longer cockpits ( cetus, very stable, a true every man's friend), even more legroom does Tiderace offer with huge cockpits (Tiderace Xceed, also very stable)
Owen

Post by Owen »

I have an Atlantic RM the old style, the cockpit is quite a bit longer than the GPR cockpit. It's the next size up in spraydecks a "Bigdeck" or whatever they're calling it now.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Can anyone tell me if the Ocean 17.6 has the same sized cockpit opening as the Atlantic RM or bigger??
Both boats being North Shore, I would ask them - 01159 614995, info@northshoreseakayaks.com - and if they don't want to talk direct to a customer, ask one of their dealers.

Return to “Sea Kayaking”