Seals

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Owen

Seals

Post by Owen »

Not sure if the link will work for everyone. I would hope it's not anyone on here but it's worth posting just in case.

Chris Bolton

Re: Seals

Post by Chris Bolton »

Just to be clear, I assume that's Angel Bay, or Porth Dyniewaid, on the Little Orme? Before I looked it up, I did not know it was called Angel Bay.

Nor was I aware of the Conwy Marine Code - is it displayed at slipways?

mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

I disturbed some seals with pups a while ago. They are normally not shy, follow me around.

Saw them on a beach, headed a bit nearer (maybe 150m away) and they all fled panicked into the water. Guess their behaviour when they have pups is very different from normal.

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Around Flamborough head. There are similar problems as I think there is beach access and the RNLI lady at South landing told me of numbties try to take seal selfies the seals the hurt themselves plapping across the rocks to get in the water.
There is also a marine code with 100-300 m distance should be kept by craft.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Angel Bay on the little Orme has always been a honey pot for seal watchers and I would say the majority of sea kayakers who venture out there are aware of the marine code and maintain a respectful distance. From personal experience and from discussions I’ve had with plenty of kayakers, the NWWT would do more good by targeting the crowds of ‘Sunday polishers’ who scramble around on the cliffs overlooking the bay taking selfie’s and throwing rocks into the water - yes it has been seen and reported many times!!! The recent rise of every Tom, Dick and Harriet taking to the sea on SUPs hasn’t helped matters but just to complete my rant it’s normally the jet skiers who cause all the most noise and chaos.

Owen

Post by Owen »

Chris Bolton wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:32 am
Just to be clear, I assume that's Angel Bay, or Porth Dyniewaid, on the Little Orme? Before I looked it up, I did not know it was called Angel Bay.

Nor was I aware of the Conwy Marine Code - is it displayed at slipways?
I'm not sure if it's displayed on the slipways, I've not been down that neck of the woods for quite some time. There does seem to be an increase in reports of people disturbing seals, although it's mostly dog walkers. I've heard of incidents on both east and west coasts of Scotland in recent weeks.