Advice on northshore Atlantic LV RM

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
rodspink

Advice on northshore Atlantic LV RM

Post by rodspink »

Hi there.
Interested in an Atlantic RM and have the offer of a mk2 LV . Size wise is perfect for my single day trips as don't require to carry to much. However is it OK for an average sized person with regards to fit.
I am 5 11 and just over 13 stone.
I understand that the best thing to do is to try them out , however they don't come up often and I have a limited budget also it is a couple of hours drive from me. I really don't want to waste any ones time.

Any advice greatfully received.

Thank you and kind regards.

Rod

DirkZ

Re: Advice on northshore Atlantic LV RM

Post by DirkZ »

Hi, we have a whole series of these hv and lv at our club.
They are great for initiation (good primary & secondary stability, easily manoeverable on edge), great for going out in a rough surf for the experienced, by far the easiest british style seakayak to (learn to) roll, can carry enough load for at last a long weekend out, they last a lifetime, hatches are good. Do check the bulkheads (as for any 2nd hand rm boat). Valley seat is comfy.
The club also has a scorpio mv. It does have the looks, but is harder to roll and if you happen to have very long legs or very short ones, the range is slightly more limited in the scorpio mv ( that's why they have an lv mv & hv).

The atlantic (both the lv & hv) is a true every man's/girl's friend.

simon64

Post by simon64 »

Think you may struggle to get in a LV, at your size the normal one would be perfect.
P&H Virgo

Owen

Post by Owen »

I'm a similar size to you, maybe a little shorter. I paddle a regular sized Atlantic RM (the mk1). I too think you'll find the LV a bit tight. The Atlantic is a great kayak, handles rough water well and has plenty of volume for kit.

Steve Agar

Post by Steve Agar »

I've been paddling the predecessor to the Atlantic, original composite NorthShore Shoreline (and a later one) for many years, with trips of 2-3 weeks fully laden as well as day trips largely empty. I'm about 6 ft and 12.5-13 stones. Don't think you'll have any problem with it unless there are any significant differences between the composite and RM versions.

simon64

Post by simon64 »

I can fit snuggly into a composite LV but the RM LV is smaller inside, possibly due to being triple layer ? I am 5’10 12 stone skinny build.
P&H Virgo

rodspink

Post by rodspink »

Thank you to everyone that replied.

Think I will be waiting for a standard one to come along.

Regards.

Rod