Thermals and UV protection

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
ChrisJK

Thermals and UV protection

Post by ChrisJK »

I remember 1976 was a very hot and dry year.

I work out doors for my day job. I also have a skin type which given reasonable exposure provides a lasting tan.

However these last few days have been pretty harsh.

I took a paddle on Sunday and ended up with a two inch band of my left arm with a hit of more UV than it liked. On my return to land I saw lots of overcooked bathers who were going to regret wearing their shorts and bikinis.

I have spent the last couple of days in my Palm rashy top which would perhaps seem counter intuitive but it both kept me relatively cool and totally sunblocked where it was needed.

Tomorrow I might just risk a little more sun but for anyone suffering this might be a comfort.

Beryl

Re: Thermals and UV protection

Post by Beryl »

I was out today and still wear a long sleeved ‘Sharkskin Chiiiproof’ full cover two piece: similar to ‘Forth Element Thermocline’ more people are probably aware of. It’s quite thick so protects from sun, wind and light rain but just dunk enough of yourself on such as today and you can easily keep comfortable. Can’t recommend it highly enough. Expensive but bulletproof and very long-lasting apparently.
Growing old disgracefully

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Thanks Beryl
I will look that up. I always need warm layers in the winter for my day job
I notice I got the make wrong my thermal irashy is Peak. Very comfortable even on slightly burnt skin.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

I was out on Saturday & Sunday for an overnighter on Anglesey, one of our group was in a full dry suit!!!

He had to roll regularly to avoid the 'boil in the bag' syndrome. In these conditions I wouldn't last 2 minutes in anything other than a long sleeved rashy with built in UV protection (SPF50) plus a wide brimmed hat and reflective shades - oh yes and neoprene shorts below deck :-) My top is by Mountain Hardware and is very good at preventing UV skin damage.

We measured the water temp at 18 degC so no issue with 'dressing for immersion', although I am not in anyway suggesting that prolonged immersion even at this time of year wouldn't be a problem.

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

You have been having a great time. I'd agree wearing a dry suit is guaranteed 'Sous Vide' in these conditions.
Beyond the shallows the water is still quite cold if you are as poorly insulated as me!
I went out in an aquascene wet suit in my inflatable but I needed to drop anchor and take a short swim to keep cool.
This weather is rather enjoyable for kayaking in relative safety

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks »

I’m one of those who wear a full drysuit, main reason being I don’t have anything else. What to folk recommend for hot weather when getting wet may still be on the agenda? Having said that I’ve never had problems with over heating, even last Sunday on Yorkshire coast, I just don’t wear much underneath

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

on the rocks wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:21 am
I’m one of those who wear a full drysuit, main reason being I don’t have anything else. What to folk recommend for hot weather when getting wet may still be on the agenda? Having said that I’ve never had problems with over heating, even last Sunday on Yorkshire coast, I just don’t wear much underneath
I'm the same: drysuit with a thin wicking tee-shirt and a pair of lightweight hiking trousers underneath. In the current extreme weather conditions, I cool down by capsizing and staying under as long as I can hold my breath. I usually have to do this fairly quickly after launching, but eventually the sea-breeze and evaporative cooling combine to cool things down and I guess I then do it once every hour, if that. I've got a few cags, but I just don't find them any cooler whilst paddling as they've got too many bells and whistles, i.e. extra layers, pockets, flaps etc. Similarly, I find wetsuits get red hot in the sun. So unless you're going down the tee-shirt and shorts route, I think drysuits are a good contender: IF they're made of decent thin, breathable material without any unnecessary fiddly pockets and flaps. And they're just a convenient tool for the job: easy to get in/out of, they keep the sun off you on long paddles, they keep your bottom half dry if you're wading out through the rocks and you won't give heart attacks to the bus-load of elderly nuns who inevitably drive past whilst you're getting changed. The capsizing to keep cool thing has other benefits - as of Sunday, I now know that humpback whales don't do whale song. Or at least the one off Plymouth didn't.

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks »

And it's always good to have a reason to practice a roll

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

ChrisJK wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:25 pm
this might be a comfort.
Where is it Chris? Looks a bit like Mull, across to Jura?
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

on the rocks wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:21 am
My go-to on non-drysuit days unless it's absolutely roasting is a Palm 'Quantum' farmer-john wetsuit and a Decathlon rashy (which may or may not be 'thermal' and is rated SPF 50+ for UV protection). Dry or semi-dry cag over the top if it isn't quite t-shirt weather. That does for a pretty broad range of conditions, I doubt I'll be putting my drysuit back on now until the water starts to get cold again in October.

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Thanks for these comments.
My small sunburnt patch has calmed down.
Yesterday in a swimmers wet suit I was jumping out of my inflatable to cool every ten minutes or so and slowly adding to the pool of water in the bilge.
Today I took out the proper boat and wore swiim shorts light shorts and my peak top plus BA of course. I'd not want to spend long in the water but can't as yet do the luxury of rolling to cool off.
I splashed my self with handfuls of water occasionally and the risk of coming out was pretty low. Though I was slightly concerned by a bull seal and his huffing and puffing harem and gave them a wide berth further out than I intended.
The view posted earlier is from Porth Dinlean (Llyn peninsula) towards Trefor which Seawolf has also posted pics of in the hot paddle thread having made the trip from there to Nefyn which is the next bay along.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Whatever choice you make, dry suit, wet suit or tee shirt, we all then put additional layers like a spray deck skirt and a BA over the top so in these conditions its gonna be roasting whatever we do.
I was with a group doing safety and rescue practice at Colwyn Bay N. Wales last night and we measured the sea temp 500m off shore and it was 21 degrees !! Swim shorts and tee shirt would have been the order of the day for a short evening session but there were so many jellyfish around I kept to my my normal attire for hot days of knee length neoprene paddling pants and a long sleeved rashy with my socks pulled up :-)

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Sort of overlapping with hot paddle thread here.
I took a trip out from Machroes (Abersoch) and got somewhere near Trwyn yr Wyfa and then bottled due to a bit of swell. Had it been glassy I might have plodded round to Porth Neigwl.
You guys might have pressed on and I'd have joined in!
Paddled back rather hot and chucking water on my self from time to time. On returning to the shelter of the shallow bay I thought on your rescue practice in Colwyn bay Seawolf and thought hey in these conditions it was a great opportunity.
So in the same kit as described I practiced getting out using my gp to stabilise and got back in by a couple of methods. Cowboy scramble seemed the easiest though I managed a sort of twist in method. Useful skills if only to swim anchored in a beach less cove.
I think I'd have found it all a lot more challenging and definitely colder out in St Tudwal's road. Though plenty of small craft might have taken notice and hopefully come to my aid.