Hot Paddle

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
yippie kayak

Hot Paddle

Post by yippie kayak »

July heatwave and super flat sea,, Sun cream, Hats, and plenty of water.

ChrisJK

Re: Hot Paddle

Post by ChrisJK »

So one of you guys lost their spraydeck? Thankfully returned via UKRGB. Apologies if I got that wrong.

The Blue pool has a fun entrance/exit at the right time in the tide.

Are there any kayak clubs on the Llyn this week that I could tag along with an organised trip. I have all the gear and a faint idea.
I came across a solo paddler on Bardsey island today who was on his return to Porth Oer with a carrying tide but an opposing wind.
I would enjoy such a paddle but not without some form of safety net

yippie kayak

Post by yippie kayak »

Hi Chris,
I think the spray deck was found on the side of a road,,,, probably fell of a car, this was several weeks ago.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

ChrisJK wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:55 pm

Are there any kayak clubs on the Llyn this week that I could tag along with an organised trip. I have all the gear and a faint idea.
I came across a solo paddler on Bardsey island today who was on his return to Porth Oer with a carrying tide but an opposing wind.
I would enjoy such a paddle but not without some form of safety net
Hi Chris, regrettably I've just missed you. I was staying on the Llyn last week and conditions most days were near perfect so I felt comfortable venturing out on my own. There were a few days when Bardsey was shrouded in a thick haar (sea fog) so even if tidal conditions were right, it would have been impossible to get there and pointless too.
One day, I did the paddle out of the Welsh sea kayak guide from Trefor to Morfa Nefyn, if you haven't done that section of the Llyn before, honestly I was blown away by just how beautiful it was.

Have a great trip.

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Thanks Seawolf
I did half of that trip from Porth Dinlean up to around Penrhyn Glas. I turned back at that point though perhaps I should have continued but it is a roughly 24 mile round paddle and my wife was ashore. I presume there are some races as you get further round.
Today in the Gumotex messing about in Porth Oer jumping out etc.
Tomorrow looking at Porth Towyn and depending on access may try there left or right probably right as I think the out going tide goes west hence an easier return if it's like this.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

ChrisJK wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:35 pm
Thanks Seawolf
I did half of that trip from Porth Dinlean up to around Penrhyn Glas. I turned back at that point though perhaps I should have continued but it is a roughly 24 mile round paddle and my wife was ashore. I presume there are some races as you get further round.
Today in the Gumotex messing about in Porth Oer jumping out etc.
Tomorrow looking at Porth Towyn and depending on access may try there left or right probably right as I think the out going tide goes west hence an easier return if it's like this.
I wish I was still down there with you Chris. The section of coastline above Penrhyn Glas towards Trefor is very spectacular so if the tidal flow direction is suitable (incoming flood = West to East, outgoing ebb = East to West) have a look. Also the car parking is free by the beach at Trefor - unlike most other places on the Llyn which are owned by the NT and its £5 per day wherever you go!!
Can't blame you for turning back to Porth Dinllaen (was she waiting for you at the Ty Coch with a cold beer perhaps?).
There actually wasn't much tide race action on my trip until I reached the main headland at Porth Dinllaen. I called into the bay to look at the mob at the Ty Coch and I intended to round the headland for a nose at Borth Wen BUT as I neared the end of the headland (just past the LB station) the texture of the water changed dramatically and I found myself being pulled very strongly into a rather lumpy tide race running hard off the point. I reckon I could have ridden through it but there would then be absolutely no chance of me getting back round the point (to my waiting wife) until the tide changed. It was mid tide so max flow but it was closer to a neap than a spring and I had to paddle VERY hard to escape the pull of that race.
Enjoy your paddle from Porth Towyn. I walked a section of the coastal path approx 8km West of Towyn from a cove called Porth Iago GR167317 (lovely remote beach) round the headland to another remote cove called Porth Ferin and there was a good healthy tide race running off the headland (appropriately called Penrhyn Mawr!) but that whole coast is brilliant so take care and stay safe.

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

ChrisJK wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:55 pm
Hello. :-)

I'm home again now too. I was actually staying on Anglesey, but took a road trip round to the Lleyn to take advantage of the amazingly benign conditions. The paddle was all business though really, just out and back, mostly as a means to get to the island and explore it a bit on foot. I seemed to be circled by a group of Manx Shearwaters skimming over the water on the way out, I swear the same little flock of birds went past my bow half a dozen times.

I had a rather sweaty walk around the island, lunch at the top of Mynydd Ennlli whilst enjoying the view (and the relatively cool breeze), an ice cream on the way back to the Mediterranean scorchio slipway, and a couple of bottles of beer to take home. Lovely. :-)

There was a bit of chop in the sound on the way back with what wind there was opposing the flow (a foot or so, very short period), the only waves I encountered all day, and then it was back to glassy smooth again off the mainland. I had a go at ferry gliding across the sound over to Carreg Ddu but when it became obvious that I wasn't going to make it without putting a lot more effort in realised I was hot and tired and had had enough really so turned directly down tide and hopped on the conveyor belt back round to the beach at Porth Oer.

seawolf856 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:17 am
... honestly I was blown away by just how beautiful it was.
It isn't an area that I've explored before, though I've spent a lot of time on Anglesey. It was pretty obvious that a really interesting and beautiful coastline was whizzing past as I was staying well out and going with the tidal flow - clearly I've been missing a trick. I'll be back. :-)

Ooh - speaking of fog, I had a spooky half hour or so on the way to the Skerries on Sunday when a gentle mist descended, just on the very surface of the water. The Skerries, West Mouse, the horizon and everything gradually disappeared leaving just me on the mirror calm flat water with a blue sky overhead. The water was calm enough to see jellyfish down to quite a depth. Lovely, but eery. I was quite happy when the Coal Rock buoy materialised out of the haze, and all the more so as the mist burnt off revealing the Skerries once again.

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Hi Sean-soup
So nice to put a face to a name. I presume you twigged that I was the guy who called you back with the hail "sea kayaker".
It'll be a while before I set off solo on that trip but it looks great in these conditions.
I think I could benefit from a basic navigation/tidal course as today I found I reached further than I expected against the flow to find that it would shortly reverse and I'd be doing the same again. I just called my long suffering wife who picked me up from there!
I might not always be so lucky.
Thanks also Seawolf, I saw your post within the edit window.
I reached Porth Dinlean from Towyn and wary of the headland I saw a couple in a SOT and asked if they had come round they affirmed ( I really think some folks are unaware of hazards)
I popped round and on my way I met a lady in a sea kayak who had just arrived from Trefor. We discussed the tide and apparently it would be swapping flow in half an hour. Seeing it took me an hour to get there and being lazy I called my wife. I could see the race but went between the rocks but could see the flow from the waving seaweed.
If I'd been cheeky I guess I could have followed the lady and her guide and companions from a distance on the return to Trefor.
Re parking in Morfa Nefyn we are members of the NT so parking is effectively free. There is a slipway below the car park at the end of the road just before the car park where it is possible to drop off and pick up but with wheels one can do the same.
Re Towyn (Tudweilog) the car park is £2.50 honesty box. I used wheels but it might have been a struggle had I returned.
It was mostly glassy flat and pellucid water.
It's what memories are made of

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Sean_soup wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:12 pm

Ooh - speaking of fog, I had a spooky half hour or so on the way to the Skerries on Sunday when a gentle mist descended, just on the very surface of the water. The Skerries, West Mouse, the horizon and everything gradually disappeared leaving just me on the mirror calm flat water with a blue sky overhead. The water was calm enough to see jellyfish down to quite a depth. Lovely, but eery. I was quite happy when the Coal Rock buoy materialised out of the haze, and all the more so as the mist burnt off revealing the Skerries once again.

Hi Sean soup, wow what a great solo paddle to Bardsey, such a coincidence that Chris actually saw you there but I was also on Anglesey this weekend and we did an overnight camp on the North coast (NOT the brickworks), using Cemlyn as our launch point so it is very likely that on our return to Cemlyn on Sunday morning it was you I saw heading out towards the Coal Rock buoy and the Skerries on the perfect ebb tide. We could see the very strange layer of sea fog in distance obscuring the Skerries but we cruised back to Cemlyn via Middle Mouse under clear blue skies.

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

seawolf856 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:25 am
I was also on Anglesey this weekend and we did an overnight camp on the North coast (NOT the brickworks), using Cemlyn as our launch point so it is very likely that on our return to Cemlyn on Sunday morning it was you I saw heading out towards the Coal Rock buoy and the Skerries on the perfect ebb tide. We could see the very strange layer of sea fog in distance obscuring the Skerries but we cruised back to Cemlyn via Middle Mouse under clear blue skies.
I recognise that camping spot. :-)

It would have been me if it was a solo paddler you spotted I think, but there were a couple of groups out too. I made out it was slightly more lonely in the mist than it actually was - I could just about make out a group of four kayaks in the distance and we ended up converging at the cardinal buoy. I was a bit surprised when it turned out not to be the same group who launched a wee bit before me - they probably took a more direct route. There was no real need to go all the way out to Coal Rock, but I'd never been there before and it was really interesting to be able to see how fast the flat calm water was actually flowing. (Even getting on towards the end of a relatively small ebb tide.)

There were about a dozen of us having our lunch on the little beach by the lagoon at one point. (Still can't approach the lighthouse at the mo, but the terns are starting to look like they're just about ready to leave and begin their epic migration again.)

There were lots of strange atmospheric effects during the week - the Skerries were apparently floating just above the horizon as I set off on that trip, and I saw a fair few inferior mirages caused (I think) by a temperature inversion and a layer of air close to the water a fair bit cooler than the ambient air above. The same thing that caused that rather strange low lying mist I suppose. I took a mobile phone photo (a really rubbish one unfortunately) the evening before of a ship at sea apparently floating above the horizon looking over Penhryn Mawr from The Range. I thought it was the ferry at first, but it was actually rather larger and further out than that.

The following morning I even saw a full-on 'Fata Morgana' mirage of the Skerries from North Stack and scrambled up on to a rock to fish my big camera out of a hatch and get a photo. (Twice! The first time I got the camera out of its dry bag just as the mirage disappeared, and of course it reappeared again the second I was back in the boat.)

Check this out. It's like a prog rock album cover. :-)

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

Oops - too late to edit. I meant superior mirages. (Things appearing higher than they really are.) 'Fata Morgana' is a specific kind of superior mirage.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Great info and photos Sean, thanks for sharing your experience.