Cag lining issues...

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Linemakers2020

Cag lining issues...

Post by Linemakers2020 »

Hey guys

So I have just bought a second hand Palm cag for a really good price and in general it's in really good condition, but the grey rubber coating of the inner lining/inner skirt has started to break down and peel at the bottom edge, presumably where it's been rubbing etc on the dry trousers.

Does anyone know if there is a material that I could stick on/iron on that would stop it peeling further down? The lining is in great condition once you get around 3 inches from the edge.

Cheers!!

Beryl

Re: Cag lining issues...

Post by Beryl »

So not really in great condition? Just be more careful next time.
Growing old disgracefully

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I would try 'spinnaker tape'. It's 5cm wide very light ripstop nylon with a self adhesive back, designed for repairing very lightweight sails. I've seen it used for temporary tent repairs and still there 5 years later. But at your own risk - I haven't used it to stop a peeling coating, my guess is it will work but it might pull the coating off when you move!

SJD

Post by SJD »

https://gearaid.com/collections/tenacious-tape/

I have used this on a Kokatat jacket with good luck, can’t comment on the Palm fabric.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

If you have just bought a cag at a really good price and it’s damaged you really must learn from the experience.
Growing old disgracefully

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff »

Silicone bath sealant might work. I've used it to seal seams on tents and jackets.

Try a tiny spot first to see if it will stick to the waterproof lining.

It's a bit thick straight out the tube. You can dilute it with white spirit - use the odour-free kind ;) - and paint it on with a brush.
Have fun and don't die.

Linemakers2020

Post by Linemakers2020 »

Guys, I paid a tenner for the cag, knowing full well that the rubberised inner lining was breaking down in a few spots. It's a double layer cag, the outside layer is still in perfect condition, and I bought it with my eyes wide open.

I was just looking into whether it was possible to sort out that layer, but I am very happy and aware of its condition, and felt that way before I parted with my tenner. It's just a spare for me, that I picked up along with other bits that were in perfect condition, and I was just curious as to whether it was fixable.

Thanks for the useful suggestions, and to the "you really must learn" type comments, I'm quite aware. Maybe I should have highlighted the price originally, and that I'm not silly! Cheers!

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

Linemakers2020 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:52 pm
Hey guys

So I have just bought a second hand Palm cag for a really good price and in general it's in really good condition, but the grey rubber coating of the inner lining/inner skirt has started to break down and peel at the bottom edge, presumably where it's been rubbing etc on the dry trousers.

Does anyone know if there is a material that I could stick on/iron on that would stop it peeling further down? The lining is in great condition once you get around 3 inches from the edge.

Cheers!!
Whatever you use will need to be very stretchy if it's at the bottom of the cag where the skirt is usually elasticated. It will also need to be easy to spread over a large area. I'd therefore suggest liquid latex:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liquid-Latex ... Sw-gBe7ljK

The unknown factor here is whether it's going to bond to whatever's left of the fabric. You could give it a leg-up by degreasing the fabric with iso-propyl alcohol or whatever solvent you dare use on it, but ultimately it's pot-luck. However, even if it doesn't stick, you won't be any worse off: liquid latex is cheap, and it's got loads of uses in kayaking, e.g. waterproofing/strengthening stitched repairs on neoprene spray-decks.

(I think cags that have had a plasticky layer sprayed/bonded onto the inside are prone to this sort of thing. I've had it with two very lightweight cags - one from Decathlon and one from Palm. I got rid of both of them rather than repairing as the problem quickly spread and they were shedding this coating as fine powder, which would get everywhere.)

stuartpicken

Post by stuartpicken »

Just to piggyback of the back of this comment thread:
I recently bought a lightweight cag (my first, excepting the bin-bag-with-arms i had on as a kid/teenager) and it's very quickly developed the same issue. It's ad perhaps 15 outtings now.

You get what you pay for. yada yada.
But any specifics about how to spot this (sub-par?) construction method when buying online?

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

stuartpicken wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:13 am
But any specifics about how to spot this (sub-par?) construction method when buying online?
Yep, the materials that have caught me out have been 'coated' with polyurethane. Here's an example, where the description states 'PU coated' so should be fairly easy to avoid:

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2020-pa ... lsrc=aw.ds

I'm no expert on materials, but the good gear I've got doesn't depend on a coating: it's usually a 3-ply laminate. i.e. a layer of plastic porous film (goretex or equivalent) sandwiched between two layers of material. It's usually fairly expensive, whereas the PU-coated stuff is dirt cheap.