Flying with a 3 piece sea kayak??

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
creatamax

Flying with a 3 piece sea kayak??

Post by creatamax »

Hi everyone hope you are all good during these times.
This question has probably been asked before but I did a search and couldn’t find any info.

Has anyone got experience with flying with a 3 piece kayak. Especially to Canada or Alaska?. Just wondering what sort of prices it worked out at as I know I can be done was just wondering about logistics from someone that had actually done it?.

Would be looking to fly with a 3 piece ndk latitude standard layup.

Cheers for now!.

Chris Bolton

Re: Flying with a 3 piece sea kayak??

Post by Chris Bolton »

I haven't done it, but airlines often have rules about taking kayaks, and the staff don't seem to have (or to want to use) discretion to treat a 3 piece or folding boat differently to a complete one. I would work out the size of it, packaged up, and check it against the permitted dimensions (and weight, assuming you're putting gear in it). It may need to be two items. Then say it's 'sporting goods' - try to avoid saying it's a kayak. Also check (there are other posts on UKRGB) which airlines are best for flying kayaks, in case you can't avoid it being treated as one.

SJD

Post by SJD »

This may not help much but if you are bound for Alaska and can get a flight with your kayak to Seattle the Alaska Airlines Milk Run will likely be your only option for Southeast and South Central Alaska.

https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinations ... of%20roads.

simon64

Post by simon64 »

The milk run is a useful flight, or use the Alaska marine highway.
When I have paddled in Alaska I just rented kayaks, most towns have a outfitter, depends how fussy you are on the kayak you paddle, or rent/buy a folder such as Feathercraft K1, easy to stick these in a floatplane for drop offs.
P&H Virgo

mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

Beau Miles did this, taking a boat to Africa. He responds to messages on youtube.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Thanks for the reply’s some useful info there. The milk run is really cool. Good point about Beau miles, his YouTube channel is great. Will drop a message there.