Paddling in Austria

Inland paddling
theotherdave

Paddling in Austria

Post by theotherdave »

Hi. Does anyone have any good info on paddling in Austria, in the summer?

Interested in:

- A good place for a base, place to stay. I've heard the Landeck area might be good.
- Good rivers, sections of rivers.
- Somewhere to hire a boat.

We're thinking about going end of July, hopefully the coronavirus situation is better by then, and would be looking to paddle grade four, plus and minus.

Thanks!

BobbyR

Re: Paddling in Austria

Post by BobbyR »

We usually paddle around Landeck most years. We camped at Pfunds last July which is well placed for Engadine and Inntal. But it was packed in July. There’s a smaller campsite at the takeout at Prutz. Also packed.

There’s no where decent in Landeck itself. I’ve never heard of anywhere around Landeck where you can rent a boat.

But honestly there’s loads of class 4 paddling options around Austria.

clarky999

Re: Paddling in Austria

Post by clarky999 »

There's cool places to paddle all over Austria, from Landeck/Ötztal (Inn, Ötz, etc) in the west to Lofer (Saalach) in the middle, the area around Ennstal and the Koppentraun further east, or further south in Osttirol (Isel, Defferegenbach).

The only place I can think of to rent boats is Source2Sea just outside of Innsbruck: s2s.at From there you are also close to rivers like the Sill, Ruetzbach, Brandenberger Ache, Gschnitzbach, etc, as well as being about halfway between Ötztal, Lofer and Ost Tirol.

Edit: atm there's also a metric shit ton of snow in Ost Tirol (and the southern end of Ötztal and Stubaital, but less so basically everywhere else in AT).

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”