Leaky Drysuit

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Franky

Re: Leaky Drysuit

Post by Franky »

ChrisJK wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:26 pm
I appreciate that if one takes a swim what one is wearing could be a matter of life and death but perhaps if you are heading out into heavy winds and working hard possibly it could be perspiration rather than leakage?
Different activity, but in winter when I'm cycling I wear 4 layers on top and 3 layers of trousers. The waterproof outer layers are dripping with condensation when I get back. Admittedly those outer layers aren't breathable, but it shows just how much you perspire during vigorous activity, even if you don't feel hot. Given that the OP evidently likes to go hell for leather, it would be surprising if there were no condensation in his dry suit.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I made a round hole of a 1” thick bit of plastic to fit the neck
I think I follow that! It inspires me to suggest a plastic plant pot in the neck, with a bike valve, and jam jars in the wrists. What pressue did you pump to? I think I'd be worried at more than a couple of psi.

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

I speak for myself but I try not to immerse my self in water and stay as warm and dry as possible wearing as suitable clothing as I can for the occasion without spending loads of money. I may of course regret that philosophy but hopefully I will live!

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Chris Bolton wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:52 pm
I made a round hole of a 1” thick bit of plastic to fit the neck
I think I follow that! It inspires me to suggest a plastic plant pot in the neck, with a bike valve, and jam jars in the wrists. What pressue did you pump to? I think I'd be worried at more than a couple of psi.
It wouldn’t inflate fully but enough that when I sprayed on soapy water I found three tiny holes in two abrasions. It was a Reed ChillCheater item so I just tied a knot in each wrist. Plant pots have drainage holes ; how about nicking a traffic cone;)
Growing old disgracefully

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Plant pots have drainage holes ; how about nicking a traffic cone;)
I was thinking of a plant pot with a single central hole, into which I would set the bike valve. Traffic cones also have a central hole - but I already have many plant pots!

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Obviously I need to think more than one move ahead when exchanging posts with you :) You left out the ‘wink’ in my post BTW.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Beryl wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:36 pm
Obviously I need to think more than one move ahead when exchanging posts with you :) You left out the ‘wink’ in my post BTW.
Thanks for the edit ;)

jackp

Post by jackp »

Hi .have tested the suspect areas again and seems ok .I think it’s possibly more to do with this particular model not being breathable enough as the thermals stink bad once again of sweat.the multisport version seemed a bit more breathable than this one .I am back out tomorrow and could just go back to wetsuits for a while but its a bit of bore to dry them out this time of year

jackp

Post by jackp »

Quite an eventful time out on the water today .ended up having to take a dip so at least I know this drysuit doesn’t leak.
On the way back in i spotted 2 drifting dinghies only about 60 m from shore so quickly went to the car for a rope and went to pull them in which was hard work against an offshore wind /tide also being full of water and no time to attempt to scoop them out before they drifted even more .so I got it to the sea wall after a struggle then the tide was even stronger and too deep /slippery to stand in so had to let it go before something went wrong.quickly afterwards coastguard turns up in force to reports off a van in the sea but no one could seem to find it .no one was in the dinghies but various stuff was in there ie paddles etc .very strange .made sure coastguard was aware no one was in them.but just hoping now no one drowned

Mark Graham

Post by Mark Graham »

As an ex diver I am puzzled as to why the neck seals on dive suits are different to kayaking suits - dive suits have the smooth neoprene surface on the outside of the seal and are worn folded over internally on themselves (or at least they were, might have changed by now).
Diving I always accepted that some degree of leakage would occur - through the seals, especially if you vented by the wrist and via the neck - you could feel trickles of cold water from time to time. I now use a Gul drysuit for cold water paddling, and perhaps because of my previous experiences I've never expected it to be totally dry, especially if rolling or swimming. I've also got damp inside it on totally calm fine days just via perspiration, even though it's breathable. This is usually in the chest area behind my buoyancy aid, suggesting that the breathability is blocked by it - like sweating under your rucksack in a goretex CAG.
I've also got a Reed touring top and when my drysuit is due to be replaced I might consider one of their paddling suits. Interestingly I don't think Reed actually regard these as a drysuit - they have another version which I think they recommend if you expect to be in the water a lot.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

Mark Graham wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:56 am
As an ex diver I am puzzled as to why the neck seals on dive suits are different to kayaking suits...
I replace my own seals on all my drysuits - diving and kayaking - so I started putting the fold-in neoprene diving neck-seals on my kayaking suits when the original ones needed replacing. I found them to be very dry, however there were a couple of disadvantages. Firstly, having a doubled-over layer of neoprene around your neck is uncomfortably hot when paddling in summer. Secondly, water will collect in the 'well' where the neoprene folds into itself and gravity can eventually pull it past the seal and down your back... (This is especially true after the seal starts getting a bit older and looser.) As a result, I've now switched over to a different type of seal - still made from the same stretchy neoprene material, but in a single layer. It's made by Seaskin, who are a diving company, but marketed as a surface drysuit seal. I've been using one for a few months, and it seems to be dry and comforable. I wouldn't say it was 100% dry because you can get it to 'burp' if you angle your neck and shoulders acutely during a roll, but I do a lot of rolling and it's been minimal enough to not notice.

https://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Neck ... RFACE.html

(You can get similar-looking seals on eBay for less money, but I've tried one and it was total rubbish.)

Re. breathability of drysuits. I've obviously got some sort of problem as I own something like 7 Gore-Tex suits! I've owned loads of other types in the past, and always found them damp from leaking or sweat. If you get a high quality suit made from something as good as Gore-Tex, it will be sufficiently breathable for you not to get damp in normal use. That said, even during the depths of winter, the most I'll be wearing under my suit is a wicking tee-shirt, a set of thin skiing thermal leggings and long-sleeved top and a pair of hiking trousers - any more than that and I'll boil-in-the-bag. In summer, I'll lose the skiing thermals, but on the hottest days I'll regularly capsize and hang upside down for 30 seconds to bring my temperature down. (i.e. good quality breathable fabrics can do a good job, but they can't work miracles.)

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

'll regularly capsize and hang upside down for 30 seconds to bring my temperature down.

I think this might undermine some of your very sensible posts.

jackp

Post by jackp »

So I guess this all just comes down to an overheating issue then as I had completely submerged the other day and came out bone dry! The multisport never seemed to have this issue though and would always be dry. maybe the trick is to go for a swim more

jackp

Post by jackp »

Quite damp again this morning .went for a quick dip aswell to try and get temp down.
Strange though as sometimes come out much drier than other times .could try running shorts underneath but it could be a bit cold