Anyone else sneaked out today?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Beryl

Anyone else sneaked out today?

Post by Beryl »

The weather is lovely and everyone’s worked out their personal COVID gameplan. I went for a socially-distanced three hour paddle on a rather safe estuary so no need for the lifeboat argument. My boatyard where I usually launch from was all locked down so I had to slip down a muddy bank opposite in a community area that can fill up with people in an instant. It’s one of those villages where most people are so pleased with themselves they do get some good stuff together. I managed to negotiate my kayak through the nativity stuff and small children possibly superspreading.
Growing old disgracefully

Jim

Re: Anyone else sneaked out today?

Post by Jim »

No need to sneak out where I live, I have mostly been paddling on a tidal river for ages (as safe and socially distanced as your estuary I'm sure!), but with the put in and supermarket only a couple of miles away the drive hasn't been keeping my battery charged so the car wouldn't start today. So no, not today because I had to put my battery on charge instead - I was all changed with the boat loaded when I found out!
Normal service should be resumed tomorrow!

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Not today but I sneaked out on the Leeds/Liverpool canal on Saturday and apart from one super fast racer who I saw twice as he returned. There was nothing else moving on the water.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

In my five mile long estuary I saw eleven other kayaks, one rowing boat and two yachts a moving. Thankfully there was no tiny boat with a tiny outboard motor that does just enough speed to be in ear-shot the whole f**king time! Or is it just me?

Jim

Post by Jim »

Prior to Covid I could count the number of other kayaks I had seen on the Leven on 1 finger, then I spotted one from the office window just before I moved out to work from home, and then I met a couple of sea kayaks one day, and another day 4 SOTs. So that's 8 in total, ever.

A couple of years ago I saw a powerboat from the boatyard recovering a yacht from a mooring (it hasn't returned, and the other yacht in 'my' part of the river hasn't moved in 3 or 4 years), and one day I met the Fire and Rescue service training with their RIB on one of my rare long excursions upstream, I think they were launching from where I turned around, and they had no problem passing me quickly. The only other powered boat I have seen was a small inflatable with a big enough motor to pass me fairly quickly, unfortunately he did it right before the bridge forcing me to go wide of my normal line. So no, the tiny boat and tiny motor thing must be unique to you! Sorry!

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

No, was working, only have our two man inflatable still at the moment. Tell you what though, the weather yesterday and the day before made me reconsider my thoughts on dry suit verses wetsuit plus dry cag for autumn/winter. Dead calm yet soooo cold.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

P4ddy wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:39 am
No, was working, only have our two man inflatable still at the moment. Tell you what though, the weather yesterday and the day before made me reconsider my thoughts on dry suit verses wetsuit plus dry cag for autumn/winter. Dead calm yet soooo cold.
Despite F3/4 easterly I’m still wearing my summer kit of two piece Forth Element Thermocline. Just use my BA rather than summer life jacket as it puts a bit more material between me and the wind, especially around the back. Cornwall mind!

Out again today. Four kayaks, one trad sail boat and a vigorously rowed two man boat that left me for dead. No sun keeps the lightweights off the water ;)

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

As for me I enjoyed an atmospheric and windless river trip populated by a Heron, a Kingfisher and a couple of Cormorants airing their wings. I was marginally disturbed by a post teenager in some sort of rib when I was hoping to see the Kingfisher on my return but he proved a helper as I swerved into his wake and slip streamed around 3ft behind him for around 1/4 mile to my get out. A mix of relaxation and work out (I love my gp)

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Things a tad dull in Tier 3 land. . . .. Ben

stuartpicken

Post by stuartpicken »

Had an awesome day out yesterday on the coast.
Sunshine, light breeze and gentle swell. Me and my partner went out; her in a topper sailling dinghy, me in my kayak.
Beautiful day out with seals following, until 2.5 miles from home the wind dies completely and the sun's going down...
oh well, time to get out the tow rope.....

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Vallerbelly I am guessing that's a Fenland shot great to see a gp powering the action. The photographer got a level horizon. Near Friday Bridge?

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play »

Some of us do not need to 'sneak' out.

Sealwife

Post by Sealwife »

No need to sneak where I live (Scottish level 1). My 13 year old daughter and I took our boats and met a friend on her paddleboard and we had a sunset paddle following the coast. My paddle boarding friend is very cautious, so it was a gently paced, rarely out of standing depth trip. Encountered a few seals, a heron and lots of ducks.

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Just in case anyone is feeling a guilty pleasure when they strap their kayak to their roof rack and head for their favourite waterway whether they are in tier 3 or tier 1 ...... forget it.
Here is the advice from BCU https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/news ... -providers just bear in mind your local numbers restrictions .To misquote.a current TV hit .."keep paddling"

Kevin Cooper

Post by Kevin Cooper »

Stunning day out yesterday in Teignmouth harbour in the sunshine, paddling against the tide on both the outward and return (planned) with rolling practise the main event in the middle. No wind and sun all day.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

ChrisJK wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:59 pm
Vallerbelly I am guessing that's a Fenland shot great to see a gp powering the action. The photographer got a level horizon. Near Friday Bridge?
Nope. This was a dyke feeding into the Witham. Called a 'Delph'. Not sure why. I'm guessing something to do with the Dutch engineers who helped with the drainage of the Fens.
The swans have never seen anyone in a boat and I ended up driving 10-15 ahead of me so turned round and paddled back.

You lucky people with access to the coast. I'd have to drive 20 miles and then it would either be mud or half a mile to the waterline and waves the colour of milky tea. Never bothered paddling my bit of coastline.

P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Tier 1 2 or 3, in Southampton it appears no one gives a flying ...., They go out, have house parties, no one wears face coverings where they are supposed too etc etc. You'd be hard pressed to realised covid even existed.

Nope, Intex in the shed and proper kayak funds still in the bank so no sneaky paddle for us 😕

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

ChrisJK wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:49 pm
Not today but I sneaked out on the Leeds/Liverpool canal on Saturday and apart from one super fast racer who I saw twice as he returned. There was nothing else moving on the water.
It was the Leeds/Liverpool canal for me too yesterday. Me and a (Covid compliant) small group of friends have hatched a winter plan to complete the Coast to Coast (Mersey to Humber) crossing using inland waterways. Yesterday it was Burscough to Wigan but as we can't travel together, it was a two way trip racking up 40km and taking almost 9 hours due to all the portages - hence we finished in the dark. The canal side houses with their Christmas lights were a delightful navigation aid though :-)

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

I love those reflections. I am aiming to do bits and pieces over time. similarly adding up the Shropshire Union and Llangollen canals the latter obviously not just now. I have done sections of them all in inflatable though now using a sea kayak.
How was the Liverpool start I have been warned first hand of bricks being thrown from bridges.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Yellerbelly wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:29 am
You lucky people with access to the coast. I'd have to drive 20 miles and then it would either be mud or half a mile to the waterline and waves the colour of milky tea. Never bothered paddling my bit of coastline.
20 miles seems a bit far under travel restrictions, but the mud and distance issue is surely a matter of planning. For about 3 years now I have been taking my 'lunch break' at HW whether it is at 8 am or 5pm, to avoid having to climb down onto slippery mud!

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Yellerbelly wrote:
ChrisJK wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:59 pm
Nope. This was a dyke feeding into the Witham. Called a 'Delph'. Not sure why. I'm guessing something to do with the Dutch engineers who helped with the drainage of the Fens.
The swans have never seen anyone in a boat and I ended up driving 10-15 ahead of me so turned round and paddled back.

Haha! I grew up in southeast Kent and well remember the ‘tea-coloured’ seas; often with a LongMarch if the tide was low, and an equal LongMarch to get to a depth you could swim in. So, I feel your pain, but have a look at ‘Northseakayak’ on you tube. He makes the best of that awful ‘north sea’ .....brrrrr....;)

Sneaked out for a third outing. Had to wait for the incoming tide to reach up to my launching place. This was judged by the greasy slicks of the boatyard mixing with the pristine water of the out flowing stream; yuk! Got back after dark just using the ‘dim’ setting on the head torch. Wife doesn’t like it but it’s nice to be on the estuary as it transits to after-dark mode. It became rainy and the breeze picked up but if I’m on the water I quite like that on the way back.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

ChrisJK wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:35 pm
I love those reflections. I am aiming to do bits and pieces over time. similarly adding up the Shropshire Union and Llangollen canals the latter obviously not just now. I have done sections of them all in inflatable though now using a sea kayak.
How was the Liverpool start I have been warned first hand of bricks being thrown from bridges.
Hi Chris, Liverpool was actually really clean and safe. We didn't want to park and leave vehicles in the city centre so our first leg of the C2C was a two way trip starting at a quiet country lane 10 miles outside of the city at Melling. We paddled into the city past the famous 'Canal turn' at Aintree racecourse then right into Liverpool city centre. The canal water was very clean and you wouldn't really know you were right smack in the centre of one of the biggest cities in the North West. The canal is almost hidden away in a green corridor of its own. There are reed beds, lily pads (no lie) and tons of wild life, kingfishers, cormorants, Canada Geese and swans!!
Anybody who is within reach of Liverpool and is trying to think of somewhere to paddle during lockdown should give it a go. Yes its a 'boring canal' BUT honestly it was a great day out. You can actually paddle right to the very end point of the Leeds/Liverpool canal (just beyond Stanley Lock flight) and touch the wall where the canal ends/starts.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Anybody who is within reach of Liverpool and is trying to think of somewhere to paddle during lockdown should give it a go. Yes its a 'boring canal' BUT honestly it was a great day out. You can actually paddle right to the very end point of the Leeds/Liverpool canal (just beyond Stanley Lock flight) and touch the wall where the canal ends/starts.
40km is quite enough so I can understand why you didn't go down the Stanley flight into the docks and along past the Pierhead - but that should be worth a look for anyone going there for a shorter trip.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Jim wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:22 pm
Yellerbelly wrote:
20 miles seems a bit far under travel restrictions, but the mud and distance issue is surely a matter of planning. For about 3 years now I have been taking my 'lunch break' at HW whether it is at 8 am or 5pm, to avoid having to climb down onto slippery mud!
I'm just playing for the sympathy vote. Though I do remember an appalling bit of planning in the Menai Straits which required a 400m drag through knee deep mud back to Gallows Point. Thank heavens for some help that time. You can drive a long way to one of the best places and make the wrong choices.

"Yes its a 'boring canal' . . ." Oh give me a boring canal over a Fenland ditch!! Or a lumpy North Sea over a freshwater pond. (this could degenerate into the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch, worth a watch)

Still good to get out for a paddle. . . . . Ben

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Chris Bolton wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:41 am
40km is quite enough so I can understand why you didn't go down the Stanley flight into the docks and along past the Pierhead - but that should be worth a look for anyone going there for a shorter trip.
Hi Chris, yeh we've already done the Mersey estuary stretch from Wallasey to Stanley lock flight so that's why we started our winter C2C project at the end of the canal. We hope to have paddled all the way across the country and be at Goole by spring and complete the trip by paddling out of the Humber estuary to Spurn point sometime in the summer.
The restrictions have prevented us from travelling together so shuttles are not possible at the moment, that's why we are putting in 40km paddles and achieving just 20km of true progress for a massive effort. Anyway if we continue to do two way legs, we will be able to say we did the C2C both ways haha.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

we've already done the Mersey estuary stretch from Wallasey to Stanley lock flight
Interesting - how did you get out of the river at the docks? Were you able to paddle in at HW?

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

I'm not up to paddling across the Mersey without a coach or two. I am doing 2 or 3 hr round trip paddles as and when. I try to find sections where I can avoid locks etc. My last one was Parbold up to the the lock then back down to the swing bridge and return. My concern on the city section wasn't water quality or wild life but more about low life flinging missiles which does appear to have happened to a couple of folks I know . They could of course have been unfortunate.

jackp

Post by jackp »

Flat calm out today ...a bit chilly though so layered up ...100% polyester thermal suit and thin fleece seems work best under drysuit for cold days .any other ideas what to wear that isn’t going to overheat too quickly

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

jackp wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:30 pm
Flat calm out today ...a bit chilly though so layered up ...100% polyester thermal suit and thin fleece seems work best under drysuit for cold days .any other ideas what to wear that isn’t going to overheat too quickly
To be honest on the canal trips I've been concentrating on temperature control and comfort so I've just been wearing comfortable wicking layers under my Kokatat storm cag - no dry suit or wetsuit. The Kokatat storm cag also fits round the cockpit rim so I've not even been wearing a spray deck. I've been very comfortable with loads of movement so the breathability of the storm cag has been superb, hence great temperature control. 40km is a pretty decent distance to paddle in a day and we have been in the boats for between 7 and 9 hours so I wanted to be as comfortable as possible.

Jim

Post by Jim »

jackp wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:30 pm
I was only out for a short interval session on the river today, but wore the same as the last few weeks, board shorts, merino t-shirt and winter cag deck (i.e. a waterproof one, not a stretchy one). I find that as soon as I put some effort in I get nice and warm quickly.
Of course if I was paddling any distance off shore now I would choose something to give me a chance to survive a dunking... but even then I would mostly carry spare stuff and not actually wear too much from the off.