Which kayak should I be looking at?

Inland paddling
MartinP

Which kayak should I be looking at?

Post by MartinP »

Hi all,

New comer looking to get into some recreational river kayaking on the Thames and need some advice please.

Living close to the Thames I’ve been wanting to purchase a second hand kayak for a while but I’m not sure what sort of thing I should be looking at?
I’d like something that you can paddle/tour around in for a few hours but also with a couple of weirs very local something that could handle the more turbulent water for more fun, I’ve no idea if you can get a kayak that would do both so out of the two I’d prefer something that could handle the more turbulent water.
I have a club local which I’d eventually like to join and paddle with but obviously with all the COVID situation at present that is all closed up and I can’t get any help or information from them.

It’s getting the right kayak for my height and weight I’m unsure about so any help would be greatly appreciated - I’m 6’1” and approx 96kg

Thanks very much

andynormancx

Re: Which kayak should I be looking at?

Post by andynormancx »

The boats you probably want to look at are the so called crossover ones. They have whitewater style hulls, that have been stretched in length to make them more enjoyable for long trips and to add storage.

The two obvious examples are the Pyranha Fusion and the Wave Sport Ethos. The Fusion comes in S/M/L, the Ethos comes in two sizes the 9 and 10.

I'm 6'2" and 95kg, I've got a medium Fusion. It certainly is a compromise, in whitewater I'd rather be in my Wave Sport Diesel and touring I'd rather be in my 15 foot canoe. But if you aren't able to have an array of boats on hand the crossover boats make sense.

MartinP

Post by MartinP »

andynormancx wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:33 am
The boats you probably want to look at are the so called crossover ones. They have whitewater style hulls, that have been stretched in length to make them more enjoyable for long trips and to add storage.

The two obvious examples are the Pyranha Fusion and the Wave Sport Ethos. The Fusion comes in S/M/L, the Ethos comes in two sizes the 9 and 10.

I'm 6'2" and 95kg, I've got a medium Fusion. It certainly is a compromise, in whitewater I'd rather be in my Wave Sport Diesel and touring I'd rather be in my 15 foot canoe. But if you aren't able to have an array of boats on hand the crossover boats make sense.
Thanks andynormancx,

I’ll definitely look at the crossover versions if I can find a second hand one👍

There is a second hand wave sport D75 for sale near me, it’s the correct weight limit for me as it’s up to 109kg I think but I was unsure if it would be the right size for 6ft plus?

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

Wiers can be a very dangerous place and can look deceptively benign. Please be careful

MartinP

Post by MartinP »

charleston14 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:20 pm
Wiers can be a very dangerous place and can look deceptively benign. Please be careful
Thanks charleston14.

Sorry I should of added that I’m not a total novice looking to get into it, I did own an old glass fibre kayak and paddle the local Thames/weirs back in the day but that was 30yrs ago, now looking to paddle again I’m well out of the loop as to what sort of kayak would be ideal.

I will be looking to join my local club and paddle safely in a group I’m just after some ideas of what to be looking at for when the club reopens again post COVID lockdown.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

The D75 was the largest of the previous generation Diesel. I've got a Diesel 80, which is the largest of the current generation.

The D75 is a little bit smaller than the 80, but should* fit you fine. You never no for sure until you sit in a boat though.

* guessing at fit isn't as simple as just looking at people's height. I've got relatively long legs for my height and there have been plenty of times when people around my height have said "sure, you'll fit in boat X", only for me to jump in and find there is just no where for my feet to go...

And people with a heavier build can easily have an effective leg length 4-5 cm longer when they are sat down. And of course cold weather gear make a very big difference to, my Diesel is a much tighter fit for me when I've got big boots and a drysuit on.

https://www.wavesport.com/en/products/d-series-d75-club
https://www.wavesport.com/en/products/d ... e-whiteout

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

While the local clubs aren't open, you might still find local coaches doing social distanced 1-to-1 coaching sessions, which might be a good way to help you get back on the water.

MartinP

Post by MartinP »

andynormancx wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:23 am
While the local clubs aren't open, you might still find local coaches doing social distanced 1-to-1 coaching sessions, which might be a good way to help you get back on the water.

Thanks for both replies👍

I hadn’t thought of a 1-1 session I’ll have to check that out 👍

There were 3 guys in one of my local weirs this morning, 2 had short stumpy wave sports and the other had a Dagger, couldn’t really gauge their sizes from where I was watching from but all 3 were short at the front.
I would say for my height I have a fairly normal leg length but are longer in the body.

Franky

Post by Franky »

MartinP wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 pm
I would say for my height I have a fairly normal leg length but are longer in the body.
Surely if your legs are normal length, your body (torso?) must be normal length as well? Unless you have a small head.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

Sounds like they were probably paddling playboats, extremely short boats designed for playing waves and doing acrobatic "freestyle" tricks.

They get away with being a lot shorter as you tend to have you knees higher in them than normal boats. Even then, I've still only found one playboat that my legs fit it...

https://www.wavesport.com/en/products/m ... 5-whiteout

MartinP

Post by MartinP »

andynormancx wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:57 pm
Sounds like they were probably paddling playboats, extremely short boats designed for playing waves and doing acrobatic "freestyle" tricks.

They get away with being a lot shorter as you tend to have you knees higher in them than normal boats. Even then, I've still only found one playboat that my legs fit it...

https://www.wavesport.com/en/products/m ... 5-whiteout
Only going on what the Mrs says about normal legs long torso🤷‍♂️

They were definitely little stubby things that they were entering into the white water and just gliding backwards with the current

thomaspkayaks

Post by thomaspkayaks »

do you want to get into playboating? if so a playboat!
to get started id go with an older boat, more slicey easier to get started with. shouldn't lose much value. once you're ready upgrade to something like the Jackson rockstar or pyranha je.

thomaspkayaks

Post by thomaspkayaks »

pyranha jed*

MartinP

Post by MartinP »

thomaspkayaks wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:41 pm
to get started id go with an older boat, more slicey easier to get started with. shouldn't lose much value. once you're ready upgrade to something like the Jackson rockstar or pyranha je.
Hi thomaspkayaks,

I guess maybe in the long term after I get to some sort of level where I could safely play around like that, short term I’m just looking to get into it learn to paddle properly and safely then go from there.

thomaspkayaks

Post by thomaspkayaks »

MartinP wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:20 pm
thomaspkayaks wrote:
Hi thomaspkayaks,

I guess maybe in the long term after I get to some sort of level where I could safely play around like that, short term I’m just looking to get into it learn to paddle properly and safely then go from there.
id go for something cheap but with a good reputation. if your budget is around 200 for a playboat go for a dagger geforce or kingping, somewhat boxy which inspires confidence on low grade water. under 400-500 a wavesport project x or a pyranha jed would be a goo starter.If you can get your hands on a blisstick tey are FANTASTIC beginner boats, but I justsold my old one as it was too small. At the end of the day its personal preference but these are all trusty boats :)

MartinP

Post by MartinP »

thomaspkayaks wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:39 pm
MartinP wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:20 pm
thomaspkayaks wrote:
Hi thomaspkayaks,

id go for something cheap but with a good reputation. if your budget is around 200 for a playboat go for a dagger geforce or kingping, somewhat boxy which inspires confidence on low grade water. under 400-500 a wavesport project x or a pyranha jed would be a goo starter.If you can get your hands on a blisstick tey are FANTASTIC beginner boats, but I justsold my old one as it was too small. At the end of the day its personal preference but these are all trusty boats :)
Nice one thomaspkayaks, thanks for the info.

Budget really will be £200-£350 maybe depending on what I can pick up second hand.

Are all those you’ve mention good for paddlers 6ft and over?

Franky

Post by Franky »

All the boats thomaspkayaks mentioned are playboats. Something gives me the impression he likes playboats :)

A playboat definitely *isn't* a boat for touring in, unless you're a masochist. On flat water it will travel at a fraction of the speed of a touring boat or even a crossover.

You can however do short-distance touring in an entry-level white water boat like the Dagger GT. Such boats are commonly referred to as "river runners". They are are slower than crossover boats, but are much more fun for playing on waves with, without the serious compromise in forward speed of playboats. Paddling them is still a slog compared with touring boats, but as someone said above, if you want a single boat that does a bit of everything, it will always be a compromise. Most people who get the paddling bug end up buying at least two boats over the years. Often more!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”