Anyone used a RUK Load Assist?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Jonny Hightower

Anyone used a RUK Load Assist?

Post by Jonny Hightower »

Has anyone used one of these with a proper sea kayak?

If it works as advertised, it seems great value.

Cheers,
Jon

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

charleston14

Re: Anyone used a RUK Load Assist?

Post by charleston14 »

Looks like it would be good on square bars not sure about the brackets compatibility for aero bars.

wooden plank zip tied to the roof bar or raised roof rails can achieve the same.

If using cradles like j bars etc you can get a bit “creative”

My solution aka bodge.. using j bars was to slide in a spare roof bar I had, Approximately 1m long. use a strap to lash it down and a large screwdriver is slotted in to the end of the bar where I had drilled out a hole (stops a kayak sliding off the end)

It worked, just takes a few mins to set it up. No problem with a 25 kg 17ft pudding of a sea kayak.

In the image below a square Thule roof bar is threaded into the gap in the j cradle ( just under the pad that the kayak sits on) it’s Then strapped down (Either side of the j) using a roof strap wrapped around several times and a bit of White foam Is inserted, it takes out any slop or sag in the bar, as there is a gap between the square bar and the aerodynamic bar below it. (will modify that foam Insert for something more solid)

One you’ve got the kayak in the cradles just undo the strap and yank the bar out, then run after the white bit of foam that’s blowing away.

It’s not the best picture so I can post more if that’s of interest to anyone. I had considered the ruk load assist system that does this but everywhere was sold out and decided I’d go with what I had since it worked Better than I’d thought it would’ve

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

Rhino have a removable load assist bar compatible with aero and square bars, nobody seems to stock it though.

Note, if you don’t want to drill a hole in a square bar (quite hard steel) just use a 90degree shelf bracket clamped on using 2 jubilee clips and cover the bracket in foam and duck tape so it won’t scratch the kayak.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play »

I have the RUK gadget. Its an excellent bit of kit. I could not get my sea kayak on to the roof of my Van without it.

It is really good value for money and does little to add to the drag of the roof rack. The only minus point is that the boat gets black rubber marks on it when sliding the hull onto the roof bar section.
I have the VW roof rack so I had to source some longer bolts which was no big deal.

I am local to you Jon, you are welcome to have a look. From a distance of course.

andycon

Post by andycon »

I use one to get SOT onto the roof of a car. I have tried it with the sea kayak it also works but makes it difficult to get into the V bars. It would work fine if securing directly onto the roof bars or with J bar arrangement.

Sent from my CPN-W09 using Tapatalk

Jonny Hightower

Post by Jonny Hightower »

Thank you all for your replies.
jamesl2play wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:25 pm
I have the RUK gadget. Its an excellent bit of kit. I could not get my sea kayak on to the roof of my Van without it.
I am local to you Jon, you are welcome to have a look. From a distance of course.
Thank you James. Kind of you to offer for me to come and have a look.

As it happened, very shortly after I posted this an opportunity came up to buy a second-hand Karitek easy load roof rack system with two sets of J bars for an excellent price, so I nabbed that. I still haven't been able to pick it up yet because Bridgend has been in lock down since then, but unless there's some fatal flaw matching the Karitek system to my car, I'll no longer need one of these.

Cheers,
Jon