older valley skeg cable repair/upgrade

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
carpel21

older valley skeg cable repair/upgrade

Post by carpel21 »

Took my boat (valley aquanaut circa ~07) out for a paddle around calshot today. After a spot of lunch at the beach cafe I launched back to find the skeg jammed with rocks and bent the cable. It measures 3mm on the Vernier but the casing has room for 4mm. Am I asking for more problems to beef it up a little? Also I find myself knocking my thumb on the skeg slider a lot (mushroom shaped). I see the newer models have a lower profile button. Had anybody tried replacing this with the newer design? I think the newer slider has a thicker, hollow running bar but I could probably fabricate a work around without drilling any new holes in the hull.

Just wondering if anyone has attempted this before me and thinks it's not worth the hassle?

Chris Bolton

Re: older valley skeg cable repair/upgrade

Post by Chris Bolton »

I'm not familiar with the cable route on Valley skegs, but if there are any bends, 4mm wire is much stiffer than 3mm and will create a lot of friction on the casing as it's forced round.

carpel21

Post by carpel21 »

It has 1 turn above the skeg box with a radius similar to a football. Without the pebbles it had little resistance, although the more I consider it, the more I think to just stick to what's there already. The skeg could retract from grounding as is but possibly not with a thicker cable. I may attempt to shave down and reshape the mushroom though to a lower profile as it has enough clearance above the grub screw, and if it doesn't work replacments are cheap.

SJD

Post by SJD »

3mm is the standard original diameter size. In case you need them, here is a link to replacement instructions.

https://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/vall ... 011-models

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Not all wire is created equal. If you've not seen it yet, this article on fixing skegs may help. Use furniture polish on the cable - and hose the conduit out to clear any sand. Adapting the slider should be easy enough.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Valley sent me a couple of the old style mushrooms free of charge when mine disintegrated from UV and old age. The wire they run on is only just glassed in at one end so can be eased out to slide a new one on and then re-glassed in. It is so quick to change a skeg wire that I just carry a spare cut to size and an allen key to fit the slider. Once off the boat it would be easy to sand down the mushroom, but mine are barely proud of the deck and already hard to move with frozen fingers. Maybe your carrier wire is too high in the moulding?