Ears

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Big Ade

Ears

Post by Big Ade »

I had very painful ears after rolling, being old school I’m of the opinion that the roll should be regularly practiced.
Because nearly every problem in a sea kayak is going to involve water...
Therefore I ended up largely stopping kayaking for a number of years.
Has anyone successfully made the return to paddling and rolling after years off, and if so did the ear problem resurface?
What do people do about ears?
I’ve had the camera down recently and the eardrums were pronounced healthy, so I’m thinking of dusting the years of dust off the boat.

Bod Bagby

Re: Ears

Post by Bod Bagby »

Ear plugs are easy to get and largely stop water getting in. In Southwest England, many WW paddlers swear by Surfplugs. Custom moulded. £75 or so but worth it. They prevent my ears being blocked which can last for days on end. And ultimately will avoid the need for them to be reamed with a Black and Decker.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

Big Ade wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:27 am
...What do people do about ears? ...
One of the members on this forum has posted about how they've been really badly affected by surfers/swimmers ear. It seems like it's difficult and unpleasant to treat, and the risk factor is having water down your ear canal in cold weather. A few years ago I therefore bought some very cheap waterproof ear-plugs from LIdl like these ones: http://offers.kd2.org/en/gb/lidl/pbxuY/ I have them tied to my nose-clip and use them every time I roll - it's surprisingly quick to shove them all in, and water doesn't get past them.

I'd also been told that you can avoid it by keeping cold air out of your ears, so my previous method was to roll my neoprene beanie hat down to cover my ears. However, I couldn't find any authoritative source to confirm this would work, so I switched to the ear plugs.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

I surfed for just eight years until I ran out of ‘puff an bottle’ in my mid fifties. Recently an ear blocked up with wax and was syringed. Nurse noted I had developed a marked restricted opening (surfers ear) Prior to this I had done no watersports or even much swimming bar the usual two weeks in the balmy med each year. I surfed throughout the year but even so that’s a rather rapid development.
Growing old disgracefully

SJD

Post by SJD »

Big Ade wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:27 am
I had very painful ears after rolling, being old school I’m of the opinion that the roll should be regularly practiced.
Because nearly every problem in a sea kayak is going to involve water...
Therefore I ended up largely stopping kayaking for a number of years.
Has anyone successfully made the return to paddling and rolling after years off, and if so did the ear problem resurface?
What do people do about ears?
I’ve had the camera down recently and the eardrums were pronounced healthy, so I’m thinking of dusting the years of dust off the boat.
I have been through a similar situation with surfer's ear over the course of time and breaks in waterborne activity. Good quality, well fitting ear plugs are the only thing that really helped. If I did not wear ear plugs surfer's ear would return. Experiences were in cold water, which seems to make things worse for me.

twopigs

Post by twopigs »

No experience of ear issues, but I did have a paddler who returned to paddling after a ten year gap. She could almost roll, but got really frustrated after a large number of failures - usually a few tries each session always on the same side. After getting them back in the kayak for the umteenth time I said "Try the other side." They laughed and said "No way, never even tried that before." Rolled successfully four or five times in a row! Next session I told them to roll on the successful side again - success. Then pushed our luck and asked them to try the original side, more success! Funny thing this returning after a lay off.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

robhorton

Post by robhorton »

I wear a neoprene skull cap under my helmet if I'm planning to get wet and the water (or air) is at all "cold" - that seems to work for me but earplugs presumably offer better protection.

Outside of playing in surf (which is great, but only a small part of sea kayaking) and practicing rescues, I think it's rarely necessary to get your head wet. I get that regular roll practice is important but if it's making your ears hurt it might be worth cutting back a bit.

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. »

When I’m practicing my rolls on the sea I try wear my Reed hood. It doesn’t keep the water out but it does stop water being suddenly forced into my ears.

Touch wood - that seems to have protected the so far.

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent »

The only thing not mentioned here, possibly just overlooked, is how you enter the water at roll time. I used to get a pain from falling in to either side. In time, I tried rotating my head, nearer the deck. So you might say I put one ear on the deck. That changed the angle of entry to the water so that instead of slamming my ear straight onto the surface of the water, my ear "eased" into the water. It's also a might slower entry, being closer the the center of rotation. Quieter, no ringing in the ears.

I also have used a neoprene head covering that extended past the ears. That was much warmer in the air and did buffer the impact to the water, but of less effect than above.

This was another grand question on the forum.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

Pitchpole

Post by Pitchpole »

Swimmers ear is an infection of the ear canal which can be treated with antibiotic drops. Surfers ear is an overgrowth of bone in the ear canal thought to be due to repeated exposure to cold and wet. If causing problems it needs an operation to drill the bone away.
I guess both would be less likely with regular use of ear plugs. The surfers locally use white tack (like blue tack but different). I have no experience of this so would be interested to hear from anyone who uses it.

blueythe

Post by blueythe »

Ok I’m throwing this one in. Who experiences dizziness when rolling or exposed to cold water? I also get extreme ice cream head in the winter even with a 7mm neoprene hood. I’m putting the dizziness due cold water entering the ear canal. I have tried surf ears but they still seem to let water in. Currently got some blue tack stuff and alpine surf earplugs on order but would welcome any suggestions as to cause and solution to both issues.

Pitchpole

Post by Pitchpole »

blueythe wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:06 pm
Who experiences dizziness when rolling or exposed to cold water?
It's the caloric reflex. Everyone should get it if one ear suddenly gets cold.

blueythe

Post by blueythe »

Thanks pitchpole for the pointer. None of my friends seem to experience but from what you say a decent set of earplugs should work, fingers crossed

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

I use docs pro plugs for rolling, you need to get the correct size for your ear. AS water sports in Exeter had a range you can test to get the right size.

Once you figure out how to fit them properly they are superb.

Pro plugs have a tiny hole that allows you to hear but self seals when underwater. I also use them swimming. Fraction of the price of surfplugs.

They fill all of your inner part of the ear but not the whole of your ear so are quite discreet.

https://www.aswatersports.co.uk/shop/ac ... plugs.html

I think some ear discomfort can be related to sinus issues : my ears hurt when my sinus gets blocked Which can happen after a rolling session so now always wear a nose clip when practicing rolling.