WANTED... Sit in for new to sport

Inland paddling
TheCanoester

WANTED... Sit in for new to sport

Post by TheCanoester »

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and new to Kayaking. I'm extremely keen on buying my first sit-in kayak. My budget is up to around £600. I live in South Wales and am fortunate to have 2 canals, a number of lakes, rivers and the sea all within 30 mins of where I live - I'll probably use it on freshwater more than the sea. Can anyone recommend one that will suit me and what I'll use it for? Im 6'3" tall and hovering around 15stone. Thanks.

RichardP

Re: WANTED... Sit in for new to sport

Post by RichardP »

Hi Canoester

If you go to the search box above, and put in some key words, there is lots of advise on starting out. kayak size, weight, leg room and recommendations on best buys. ( go second hand) But don't forget safety and training. Lots of advise on youtube as well.

Happy paddling

Richard

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

Probably flat water touring kayaks; stable in calm water and not slow

Dagger Charleston 15
Perception Carolina
Dagger stratos L (which can do more dynamic water too)
Easky 15
Perception expression 15

Suggest you join a club. Boats to try, people to go with, training and advice.

Demondave

Post by Demondave »

I’d advise to join a local club. They will have a fair variety of boats for you to try before you buy.

I stupidly took to plunge of buying a kayak before trying (would not recommend doing). Luckily for me the kayak I chose (Pyranha Z One - medium) worked rather well for me (despite sitting low in the water). I eventually did a few courses (old 3*) in a Pyranha Burn 2 (large). I eventually settled on selling the Z One and treated myself to a Burn 3 (large). Best decision ever. Feel so much better in it.

Learn from mine and others mistakes and try as many as you can before parting with your money. You will thank us in the long run. There is nothing worse than trying to paddle in something that doesn’t properly fit.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”