Stratos 12.5 or 14.5

Inland paddling
Chris UK

Stratos 12.5 or 14.5

Post by Chris UK »

Hi all,

I hope posting this is OK, I'm new to this forum and am looking for a bit of advice.

I used to kayak around 15 years ago, mainly rivers and lakes, and have suddenly got the urge to get back into it.

I'll be mainly paddling rivers and lakes around the UK, and occasionally taking it to the coast. After much looking, I was about to make the jump on a stratus 14.5 L (I'm 6'2" and 90ish kg), but then noticed the 12.5.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used both sizes, or get advice from anyone who can help guide me. As most of my kayaking will be on inland water - would the 12.5 benefit me more? I do plan on doing some long day's touring - I have a friend who kayaks, so we plan to make some days of it, but I'm not sure the benefits of the 14.5 would outweigh the better maneuverability of the smaller model on rivers and lakes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

charleston14

Re: Stratos 12.5 or 14.5

Post by charleston14 »

The stratos doesn’t lack manoeuvrability compared to other 14ft touring kayaks it’s in a league of its own. .. and a longer waterline makes for more efficiency in distance covering. The smaller boat will Be a shade lighter.

Chris UK

Re: Stratos 12.5 or 14.5

Post by Chris UK »

That video is impressive - I don't think I'll be attempting any class 4's in my stratos, but it's great to see what it's capable of in experienced hands!

I've ordered a 14.5 L and am picking it up next week. I can't wait :D.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”