Question for Ethos 10 owners

Inland paddling
pw3

Question for Ethos 10 owners

Post by pw3 »

I'm considering buying a Wavesport ethos 10 as i like the idea of having a boat that can do a bit of everything.

Is it a good boat to learn ww skills on or would I be better off with a dedicated ww boat ?
Would this boat be considered too large to use at places like Lee Valley and ciww ?

Thanks Pete.

twopigs

Re: Question for Ethos 10 owners

Post by twopigs »

Here is my opinion - others might disagree.

If you're learning ww skills then the Ethos (or any cross-over) is not the correct boat. You need a boat which will trip up if you don't get things right - like the old InaZone - not much volume, quite a flat back end - and then you have to learn to edge your boat and paddle positively. Big boats can float down stuff and so long as you keep your head and body in the right place you'll stay upright!

More modern boats are available - for example the Dagger GT range.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Sometimes you need to consider what your range of compromises comprise ( ;-) ).

The Ethos is a similar length to the Perception Overflow which was used on the first expedition down the Zambezi. Indeed, you might argue it has better whitewater profile with a good front rocker profile and progressive edges. Sure, if you want to become an out and out whitewater paddler, Paul's advice that you should choose a more 'aggressive' design is sound but if you plan is a combination of touring and grade 2 rivers, I'd say it was a sensible choice. A boat like this would be great for a canoe camping trip in the Massif Central, assuming you'd discounted a canoe!

Mini2

Post by Mini2 »

Hi I'm also looking to get a cross over thing this will suit my needs .
I'm thinking of a fusion.
Some really good advice been given hear . Can these boats be used or allowed on park and play such as CIWW thanks

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

This:
I'm considering buying a Wavesport ethos 10 as i like the idea of having a boat that can do a bit of everything.
and this:
Is it a good boat to learn ww skills on or would I be better off with a dedicated ww boat ?
to me are two different types of boat. If you'd like a boat that "can do a bit of everything", the ethos is a good choice. It can handle easy whitewater.

It is however not a good choice if you're trying to learn ww skills. If you're planning to go to whitewater parks more than once, I'd recommend a ww boat. If you just want to paddle easy rivers and catch eddies every now and then, crossover boats are a good choice in my opininon.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

"easy white water"

Go onto the Wavesport site for this product and there is a video of the boat in use. It's a bit long and rather a lot of chat but some really nice video of the boat handling some fairly challenging water.

countvoncount

Post by countvoncount »

I think the white water parks will have no problem with your paddling there in a crossover--but I also think a long boat like that is harder to control in whitewater, because you have to control boat angles much more precisely when breaking into the current, and need a lot more muscle to correct. I think an experienced WW paddler can probably run all sorts of things in an Ethos, though the relatively flat bow will cause some problems. Are you planning on doing a lot of touring/long-distance flatwater paddling? If not, a river runner might would still allow you to have a fun re-creational paddle on a canal or lake, but be a lot better learning platform in WW (say: a Pyranha Burn or Z-One, a Dagger Axiom or Rewind, a Wavesport Diesel).

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”