River Derwent - Bamford to Calver

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
Chris Bolton

River Derwent - Bamford to Calver

Post by Chris Bolton »

Last edited by Mark R on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Rae1

Re: River Derwent - Bamford to Calver

Post by Rae1 »

We did this section today, on a Sunday in mid January.
Got on at the sports field in Bamford, off at the road bridge in Froggatt.
The gauge at Mytham bridge was at 1.10.
https://flood-warning-information.servi ... irection=u

It is pretty low all the way at this level, the first 100metres are very shallow until the confluence of the River Noe from the right hand side. Any lower and you'd be hard pushed to get a boat down that first section. After that it gets deeper, but you do scrape a bit at many of the rapids
It was at this point that a most unpleasant fellow came out of his house (river left where the rivers meet) and told us we shouldnt be on the river and we should F.O. We didnt exchange pleasantries with him.
A pretty pleasant trip with just enough interest to keep you awake. It is a touring trip really, with a few minor rapids. A great introduction to WW I think.
We got off before the bridge in Froggat, to 2 more unpleasant fellows.
Apparently we should be getting out after the bridge, but "you cant do that anyway as there is a canoeing ban here".
They got ignored, which riled them more, so one of them said they are taking down our car numbers and reporting us! There is a sign on the bridge which says 'No boating/canoeing/bathing'. At that time 2 ladies got into the river for 10 minutes and had a swim. Yes, it was a 7 degrees air temperature, and the water similar. Mad. Yet the moaning blokes didnt have a word with them. It appears semi-naked frozen ladies are allowed to bathe, yet kayakers are not.
Oh well, I'm glad we just ignored them.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Please would you report these unpleasant fellows to British Canoeing using their online form (you don't have to be a member):

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/go-c ... -reporting

andypagett

Post by andypagett »

Approximate levels at Mytham Bridge (which is actually on the trip, unlike Chatsworth)

Scrape - 1.0
Low - 1.2
Med - 1.4
High - 1.6

Rae1

Post by Rae1 »

Another of our friends did the section from Bamford to Curbar on Sat. 1st Feb. Had no comments at all toward him, but maybe he just didnt see the locals!

andypagett

Post by andypagett »

Rae1 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:25 am
Another of our friends did the section from Bamford to Curbar on Sat. 1st Feb. Had no comments at all toward him, but maybe he just didnt see the locals!
I think you were unlucky. I've done this trip several times and on the rare occasions that I've met locals they've been friendly - more often than not actually been positive and happy to see us on the river, and one one occasion they ran ahead to watch us go down the weir at Froggatt.

Good to see people out on this stretch.

Return to “England - Midlands”