Nordkapp Forti bilge pump storage

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
snookfly

Nordkapp Forti bilge pump storage

Post by snookfly »

Hello all!

Long time lurker here from the states. I've been the proud owner of a Nordkapp Forti and a Nordkapp RM for several years now. Where do owners of any of the newer fiberglass Valley kayaks store their hand held bilge pump?

With the front day pod, there's not enough room to velcro it under the deck like I do with my Nordkapp RM. Currently I use industrial strength velcro to attach it to the floor right between my legs. It's not such a big deal when launching/landing from a beach or ramp but it gets in the way when getting in/out from a dock and you need to step in.

I prefer to keep it off of my deck as I roll a lot. I'm not too keen on adding a permanently installed, battery operated pump as I don't want to add any more weight. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Tony

Chris Bolton

Re: Nordkapp Forti bilge pump storage

Post by Chris Bolton »

In my Rockpool GT, I keep the pump in a loop of bungee elastic at the side of the cockpit, just in front of the seat. On the GT, the footbrace and seat are attached to alloy rails, and the bungee is just tied round them, but you could glass in an eye. The loop is too small to get my foot caught in it. I have never found the pump to be in my way.

snookfly

Post by snookfly »

Thanks for the reply. That's the area that I've been thinking about trying out as it's about my only option. I'll give it a try to see if I have enough leg clearance.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

I just put mine behind the seat in my Etain. It's held in by the elastics for the back-rest and stays in place during rescues etc. but is reasonably easy to get out if I need it. I presume the Nordkap has the same sort of seat arrangement?
So much sea - so little time to see it.

SJD

Post by SJD »

I too store the pump behind the backrest in a pre-Forti Nordkapp with no problem.

snookfly

Post by snookfly »

My seat is all the way back so I can't fit anything behind my back band. Also, my pump is too long to fit cross-wise in the kayak. I've tried several friends pumps to see if a slightly shorter pump will fit any better but so far nothing.

What brand and length are your pumps that you're able to fit behind the back band?

I also don't have enough room on the side of the cockpit under my leg so my only other option is to try to secure the pump under the deck between my feet (velcro to deck and bottom of front day hatch).

WatchHillRI

Post by WatchHillRI »

No room at all behind the seat in my Nordkapp LV, so I had the option to mount on the floor or under the deck between the knees. I opted for the latter and it has worked well and used elastic loops.
I have just the run-of-the-mill NRS-type floating bilge pump.

It has not been any problem with exit or reentry.

I like to keep the outer deck clear as I enjoy getting tossed about in the surf and rough water.

-Dave

snookfly

Post by snookfly »

Thanks Dave! That's what I was thinking also. I'll fashion up some sort of elastic loops also.

Tony

SJD

Post by SJD »

snookfly wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:51 pm
My seat is all the way back so I can't fit anything behind my back band. Also, my pump is too long to fit cross-wise in the kayak. I've tried several friends pumps to see if a slightly shorter pump will fit any better but so far nothing.

What brand and length are your pumps that you're able to fit behind the back band?

I also don't have enough room on the side of the cockpit under my leg so my only other option is to try to secure the pump under the deck between my feet (velcro to deck and bottom of front day hatch).
Aqua-Bound Bilgemaster pump is the one that fits behind the back band in my Nordkapp.

snookfly

Post by snookfly »

Great and thanks! I'll check it out.

SJD

Post by SJD »

I forgot to mention, the Aqua-Bound Bilgemaster is 17 3/4” long.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Don't want to fit electric in order to keep the weight down... you must be thinking of the carrying weight because when paddling you have the weight of whichever pump you choose.

Assuming weight when paddling is not an issue, just size/shape storage, have a think about an Attwood water buster portable electric pump. Uses batteries mounted in the pump (C or D cell) and the outlet tube can be neatly wrapped around it making a cylindrical package probably around 100mm diameter and around 100mm high which can easily be mounted on the hull just in front of the seat without interfering with entry/exit. You have to unwind the hose and pop it out of the cockpit to use it. If you arrange loops of elastic to hold it in place you can take it out for carrying and/or pass it around within a group as easily as your stirrup type pump.

Personally I just fit a permanent electric pump which in itself is smaller and lighter than the Attwood, and make the battery removable, but I know several people who swear by the Attwood.

snookfly

Post by snookfly »

Thanks for the dimensions.

Yes, concerned about the carry weight. The elastic loops or straps affixed to the underside of the deck seem to be my best option. I prefer to stick w/a portable hand held bilge pump as my girlfriend (and others) also use my pump as she forgets to bring hers along on trips.

Thanks again for all of the replies!

Tony

Jim

Post by Jim »

The attwood is portable and can be swapped from boat to boat easily.
This is the first link from google:
https://www.force4.co.uk/attwood-waterb ... jkQAvD_BwE

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

The review of the Attwood on Amazon suggest that quality has dropped and recent production is unreliable.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

The switch on mine broke after a few months. Attwood sent a replacement from USA, no charge, so their customer service was very good a few years ago.
Mine's been OK since.
So much sea - so little time to see it.