Drysuit Socks Leaking at the seams is it a common problem

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
kayakbiker

Drysuit Socks Leaking at the seams is it a common problem

Post by kayakbiker » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:01 pm

Despite being super careful with my drysuit by standing on a clean mat when changing and washing out my boots i found I have been getting damp wet feet. This is in a drysuit that i've worn maybe only 10 times or so.
I have checked the rest of my suit and its dry so its definetly coming in from the socks. I put a small amount of water in the sock and it appears from my limited testing to be leaking from the seams rather than a hole

Do all drysuits go in the feet this quick or have i just been unlucky.

andynormancx

Re: Drysuit Socks Leaking at the seams is it a common problem

Post by andynormancx » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:34 pm

The socks on my Typhoon are still dry after a couple of years of frequent use.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:39 pm

kayakbiker wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:01 pm
Do all drysuits go in the feet this quick or have i just been unlucky.
Earlier this year, I fitted fabric socks to a new drysuit I'd just bought (a military suit which doesn't come fitted with any socks at all) and got very wet feet. I investigated, like you, by filling the legs with water and seeing where the leak was. They were leaking all the way along the seam - on both feet. I contacted the supplier (Nookie) to tell them it looked like there was a bad design defect with them. To cut a long story short, Nookie correctly identified the problem was that I had chosen to test the socks out before I'd finished the repair - I hadn't put drysuit repair tape around the glued join between the socks and the suit. The way these socks are manufactured means that the seam has a tiny circular hole running all the way down it. If any water can get in at the top, it will run down this hole and can then escape anywhere along the length of the seam - on the outside of the sock. Putting repair tape around the suit/sock glued join solved the problem.

I don't know if this is relevant to your problem, but it's worth being aware of. Other than this, I've never had any problems with fabric socks.

Beryl

Post by Beryl » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:02 pm

Have you pulled on the socks by pulling on the leg rather than the sock itself? Also, because of the right-angled nature of the foot, fabric socks need to be eased into and out of in two stages otherwise the seam of the sock will be stressed, especially if they are a good fit.
Growing old disgracefully

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi
No I've always been very careful getting in and out of my suit. Its also a really big suit so plenty of room in it
I always go with a bigger suit for the extra insulation in winter. That goes for boots too so I'm not stuffing my feet and all that sock in tight boots
Perhaps I've just been unlucky and its just a bad pair of socks. Its back at Typhoon for further testing at the moment so cross fingers it can be repaired easily enough.
Thanks