Mega Sea Kayaks

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
G0rd0nj

Mega Sea Kayaks

Post by G0rd0nj »

Hi I’m considering buying a Mega Viking Sea Kayak. The price and spec look to be very good, does anyone have any experience of these boats? I’m struggling to find any reviews online.

Thanks

Gordon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Shiner

Re: Mega Sea Kayaks

Post by The Shiner »

Not heard great things about Mega these days, QC is very poor and so is the customer service.

I’ve not had first hand experience of this, but have friends that have been left very disappointed.

G0rd0nj

Post by G0rd0nj »

Hi thanks for that

overfallpaddler

Post by overfallpaddler »

I think this is a little harsh.

The Viking sea kayak is a good piece of kit. There are a few kayaks like this about. It has a long water line so it’s fast but if you edge it it’ll turn really well. The Viking kayak has been used for a lot of distance and open water trips and for a traditional boat (depending on paddler) it will keep up with an FSK in certain conditions.
Mega are built in the UK and have a great price.

A similar kayak would be something like a big pong maanta, SKUK Greenlander pro or maybe a P&H Sirius and Cetus in terms of style and function.

Cheers

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

So,.... just a little bit off subject...does anyone know if the Greenland and Greenland T in their range are the same as the ones that used to be produced by Tahe. Don't recall seeing them in Mega's line up previously and they look very similar.

Rog.

Just an update on my own question..rang Mega and they confirmed that they are going to now be selling what is basically the Tahe Greenland and Greenland T boats...excellent! The Greenland was one of the most fun boats I have paddled and I regret selling the one I had.
Last edited by rockhopper on Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

and, back on topic...... it may be worth you asking about Mega's quality control and customer service on the Surf section as they are better known for their surf boats:
viewforum.php?f=36

Rog.

G0rd0nj

Post by G0rd0nj »

Hi thanks for the advice I’ll take a look at the other boats you listed. I had a chat with Phil at Mega the construction techniques they use sound very innovative and the standard fit out seems pretty decent when considering the price. Only thing I couldn’t work out was the lack of bow and stern toggles (which they can fit as an option). I was interested in how the. Boat handles I guess I would be considered as an ‘improver’ it’s my second year sea kayaking, I’m looking for a boat that my skills will grow into as opposed to a boat that I would quickly grow out of.

PS. The Greenland and Greenland T are Tahe Marine I have a Reval Mini which I love but is a tad cramped.

G0rd0nj

Post by G0rd0nj »

Sorry just pressed the thumbs button against a fed of the replys. I have no idea what that does but no offence intended if it shows as a thumbs down 😬

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I have no idea what that does but no offence intended if it shows as a thumbs down
No, it's a thumbs up. If you look at the bottom of the posts where you pressed it, it says "These users thanked the author [overfallpaddler] for the post: G0rd0nj"

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Pete who now owns Mega used to be a partner in kayakingkit.com and imported Tahe and Zegul boats.
I bought both a Tahe Greenland T and later a Zegul Greenland GT from them. Both great boats.

Re the Viking I have one and do like it. Glynn Brackenbury used one for his Lands End John O'Groats trip. Mine is in the Xtech spec so is pretty light weight for a large boat. It's fast but not quite FSK fast, very comfortable and forgiving. It is a big boat. Mine has both rudder and skeg and I use a Flat Earth sail with it and it's great.
I bought mine at about a year old and there were a couple of QC issues
1. interior seam tape come away from the seam inside the front hatch, starboard side, bit of epoxy sorted this.
2. Hatch rims were bolted as well as sikaflexed in place and the bolts stuck out beyond the nuts so could snag on drybags etc, easily cured with some domehead nuts.
Would I buy one again - yes but ideally second hand as they are cheap, but very rare. Buy it if you want/need a big expedition boat, or you're a big guy and need a big boat.

This is mine.

G0rd0nj

Post by G0rd0nj »

Hi Fozzy thanks for the information! Your boat looks fantastic in the green and black. I suspect the Viking might be larger than I need . I’m 6’1 and 70kg will be using it to day trips initially.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

For your weight it will be too big unless fully loaded.
There's a North Shore Atlantic for sale on Facebook Used kayaks

or a very nice looking Tiderace Xplore MV on the for sale page on here.

G0rd0nj

Post by G0rd0nj »

Thanks much appreciated