Shrike, a lightweight sea kayak for home construction.^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Spikeedog

Re: Shrike, a lightweight sea kayak for home construction.^

Post by Spikeedog » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:49 pm

I used a modified wooden egg cup and stainless steel rod mounted on a wooden plate that sits under the deck. Works and looks great.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 am

Oisin wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:03 pm
The local 3d printing route hasn't worked so I've been looking at surfboard leash plugs, mock up in the pictures above. 20 of those are very inexpensive.

I can drill the hole with a forstner bit and have a backing plate under the deck I think
Oisin, that looks to be a good solution, provided it can be secured strongly. In a rough water capsize and wet exit, a single fitting would need to be strong enough to take a shock loading of the paddler's weight. How do you plan to strengthen the fitting against a high upward load? On a GRP surfboard one can laminate glass cloth and resin into the grooves below the surface. Would you plan to do this, or perhaps to insert small pieces of plywood to achieve the same object?
Thanks for the input.
Nick.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:31 am

Spikeedog wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:49 pm
I used a modified wooden egg cup and stainless steel rod mounted on a wooden plate that sits under the deck. Works and looks great.
Spikeedog, that's a good solution. I guess beech is a suitable timber: https://bit.ly/2kW3cRE
Nick.

Spikeedog

Post by Spikeedog » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:09 am

I think those were too small. The oned I used were about 3" wide but beech and a plywood Base plate with a good length of stainless steel rod to spread the load.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:52 pm

nickcrowhurst wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 am
In a rough water capsize and wet exit, a single fitting would need to be strong enough to take a shock loading of the paddler's weight.
For hammock suspension, the rule is to use cord etc rated at least x5 the person's body weight to cover shock loading & any weakening from knots or splices.

Presumably a kayak leash (and fittings) would need to be at least this strong. There's the same inertial mass to accelerate plus the water resistance of the human sea anchor being dragged through the water.

nickcrowhurst

In Luxembourg.....

Post by nickcrowhurst » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:40 pm

In Luxembourg, a young lady glasses the hull. This will be the second Shrike in her family.

Beryl

Post by Beryl » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:43 pm

On the subject of leash to attach kayaker to boat... I’ve been worrying this as most places on the Shrike are only 3mm thick. You could use the Masik I suppose but that puts the safety cord in your lap with possibility of entanglement. I’m thinking a solution might be an external cord attached to the stern. You have the solid wood of two gunwales, possibly already drilled for a lifting grip and the advantage that the dead weight of the kayak will not be side-on.
Growing old disgracefully