Plastic Welding

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Ken_T

Plastic Welding

Post by Ken_T »

Has anyone had a polyethylene kayak welded to repair damage? If so are you able to recomend someone that can do the job?
Thanks Ken

PlymouthDamo

Re: Plastic Welding

Post by PlymouthDamo »

Ken_T wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:20 am
Has anyone had a polyethylene kayak welded to repair damage? If so are you able to recomend someone that can do the job?
Thanks Ken
I have - at a car body repair shop. They use plastic welders to repair bumpers. Phone round and let them know it's cash-in-hand and off-the-books, so they don't get paranoid about liability. Also, if possible, phone the boat manufacturer and beg for some (long) off-cuts to use in the welder as this will be the right plastic and colour.

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent »

I'd say that's good advice and would like to add that a friend has fixed his cockpit rim of his poly boat, using G flex. I've watched for a few years now and it's not shown any fail signs.

https://www.westsystem.com/specialty-ep ... ned-epoxy/
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey »

Ken_T wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:20 am
Thanks Ken
If you're in the south east, Paul Knight can help; http://www.pkpaddlesport.co.uk/canoe-an ... 4557937481. Top bloke.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Yep, I use a local plastics fabrication company for whom welding polyethylene is just one of many techniques they use almost daily.
One of the reasons I knew about them was we did some FEA for some PE pressure vessels they built with welded fittings. Doing a couple of boat repairs for me is easy lunch break work, they can tackle much more serious PE welding jobs.

I suspect there are companies doing this kind of work all over the country.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Just spotted the following text on my local plastic fabricators website:
In response to recent advancements in the qualifications and accreditation available for plastic welding QD has become one of a select few plastics fabrication firms in the UK to have our plastic welders trained and accredited to EN 13067. The qualification covers PVC, Polyethylene, Polypropylene and PVDF, this was deemed to be an important factor in setting QD ahead of other plastic fabrication firms.

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker »

If you live reasonably close to the kayak manufacturer perhaps you could ask them if they could repair it for you.
They are likely to do the best job as they should be able to match the plastic. Also they know the manufacturing layup of the boat so should know how best to repair/weld. This is more significant if its triple layer build.
Having had a crack in my boat repaired myself I was surprised to find out that triple layer boats are not all triple layer. There is in fact single layer plastics used in some parts of the boat. Mostly high flex and wear areas.
I hope you find someone.

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T »

Hi Thanks,
I have contacted Paul Knight & he can probably help me.
Ken