DSC VHF Woes

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Northern Blue

DSC VHF Woes

Post by Northern Blue » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:54 am

Standard Horizon HX870E

I was out for a day paddle from Tayvallich, Mid West Symposium on Friday and had one of three radios in our group. While we were test calling each other before setting off, it soon became apparent that my radio was jammed in transmit and was continually blocking the other radios in the group.
I had to switch the radio off and noticed there was a little bit of fogging on the inside of the display screen, which I’m assuming is from a small amount of water ingress.

Since returning home, I have kept the radio warm and dry, hoping to dry it out and return it to working order, but last night the radio switched itself on and began to transmit an emergency call. I couldn’t cancel the call via the keys and had to power the radio down to stop it, but within a few minutes, it powered itself back up and started transmitting the emergency again.

The battery has now been removed and an email sent to SH, querying if this is likely to be repairable, or if a new radio is on the cards.

ian johnston

Re: DSC VHF Woes

Post by ian johnston » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi NB,

Interesting...I've not had a handset do that particular trick! (I'm a seafarer and responsible for all the onboard radios on ships). The SH HX870E is rated at IPX8 which should give adequate water ingress protection, but I note that the strobe is water activated - even when the set is powered off. We'd not normally use a set with a feature like that as having a strobe activate when the handset was soaked by spray or flying "green" water isn't always a desirable feature.

Out of interest, are you using the radio in a bag? Sometimes the heat and humidity in an Aquapac type bag is worse than immersion for electronics in a salt water environment.

Given the symptoms you've described, not sure I'd be completely confident in that handset.....

Kind Regards

Ian

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks Ian,

The radio is not used inside an Aquapac or similar. I carry it in the front pocket of my PFD with the aerial protruding from the zip and prior to this fault developing, the radio wasn’t submerged at any point. Two days earlier I was playing in small surf on Tiree, but my PFD was barely splashed and the inside of the pocket remained dry.

I believe from memory that the LED function is selectable within the menu and mine has never activated.

There is a red flap on the side of the radio, which has to be lifted to press a button to activate the distress call and it is this button that illuminated last night, as well as the display screen showing a distress message. There was nothing near my radio that could have accidentally lifted the flap and depressed the emergency button, so I’m assuming it to be an internal failing of some sort.

Ken.

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi Ken,

I'd agree that it sounds like an internal failure. The display fogging seems to indicate moisture ingress somewhere, I'm guessing you've done a detailed look sround for case damage....have you tried dunking it to check fir signs of water getting somwhere nasty?. It'd be good to know what the diagnosis from SH is...

Kind regards

Ian

sandybottoms

Post by sandybottoms » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Sounds like a 'feature' of this set a paddling buddy had similar symptoms with his in March of this year