Advice on second hand Kayak please

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Indiasydney

Advice on second hand Kayak please

Post by Indiasydney » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:04 pm

Hi there, i am.new to this group and forum and looking at getting a second hand kayak. I have been offered an Osprey tandem sit on top and wondered if anyone has any experience with these at all?
It is for myself (5 ft 5 female) and my 6 year old daughter. My considerations are maneuverability, weight, lifting it onto my car roof etc.
Any help or advice really appreciated.

😁😁

Richwatt

Re: Advice on second hand Kayak please

Post by Richwatt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:41 am

I cant comment on the osprey, but I have a perception Gemini 2 person SOT for taking my son out, it weighs a ton. I can manage to put it on the roof but ts not easy and I know a lot of people would not, especially after a paddle.
The Gemini is faster and more manouverable than you would expect.

Indiasydney

Post by Indiasydney » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:10 am

Hi Richwatt thank you. Just thinking i may have to reconsider my options and perhaps go down the inflatable route.

simon64

Post by simon64 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:30 am

May be worth looking at the point 65 range of sit ons, these are sectional can be taken apart, so if you have the 2 seater, you can leave one section out to make it a solo kayak.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:00 pm

I have no experience of an Osprey but I see from the specifications that it weighs 33kg. That's quite a lot to put on a roof rack by yourself. If the rear bars on your roof rack is near the back of the roof (for example, as on an Estate with roof rails) have a look at rollers that sit just behind the bar. Then you can lift one end onto the roller, walk to the other end, lift that and roll it on.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:53 pm

You may well be better of looking at a kayak that is for an adult and child rather than a 'tandem'. they will tend to be lighter and less bulky and would be perfect for a 6 year old. I had a quick seach and the following came up but worth you doing a bit more checking around to see what else is available.
https://www.cornwall-canoes.co.uk/feel-free-juntos.htm

Rog.

pugwash

Post by pugwash » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:13 pm

I used an Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 with a nine year old, and got a nine year old and a 13 year old on a Malibu 2 XL, I also paddled a Tarpon 130T, and recommend all three providing you don’t push them beyond their limits. But they are really heavy, and as they are quite wide they are inefficient to paddle. I used Thule Slide bars for single person loading when I had the tandem sit ons, although I now have a Karitec on the car roof which would have been a simple if expensive solution. Others use the rollers mentioned above, bits of carpet on the rear of the roof or even rollers attached to sucker cups attached to the rear window.