Wilderness gentle paddling with mountains?

Inland paddling
banzer

Wilderness gentle paddling with mountains?

Post by banzer » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 am

Hi all

For her 40th, my wife and a friend or two would like a bit of a summer adventure probably in Europe somewhere. Ideally she would like:

1) Some gentle paddling on safe waters (eg Finland lakes / Stockholm archipelago / Ardeche - type rivers, though not busy like the Ardeche)

2) Wild camping with ability to have camp fires

3) Mountains maybe with the odd hut, not too busy, maybe some colder stuff, possibly a glacier, possibly hire a guide for a couple of days for something mildly 'interesting'

Probably a week, ten days. What can you suggest? They are fairly flexible and open to ideas but I think the main proviso is not too busy and certainly some degree of 'wilderness'. Sweden I know has mountains and rivers but the weather can be variable, they wouldn't want to be up the mountains in bad weather.

Thanks, Rich
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Doorman

Re: Wilderness gentle paddling with mountains?

Post by Doorman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:07 pm

We once went to the Finnish archipelago. 2 kids+ 2 adults so it was not too challenging but great fun. not sure about camping (we hired a home out there) but there were little, uninhabited islands everywhere which we used as snack breaks but I am sure you could camp on them. Does that help?

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:09 pm

You could also think of Norway where did our latest kayaking holiday. Very scenic, mountains everywhere and lovely kayaking also

frazerp

Post by frazerp » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Montenegro. Tara canyon. Talk to Slime.

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:04 pm

They look good but in terms of wild camping and camp fires I think Finland out-performs it. Also there is not really any cold features like banzer was looking for.

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:09 pm

I think for Banzer Finnish archipelago sounds perfect. Definite feel of wilderness and a great adventure in terms of having a different island to camp on everyday which you can explore. Definitely gentle paddling but still great fun because it is still coastal.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:11 pm

Euphrates Erzican to Ilic. Stunning trip. Fly to Erzican spend a night in town shopping for food etc. taxi to Alp launch down the river for four to five days get out at Ilic and get bus taxi back to Erzican. The train no longer runs. pm me for details. THY fly boats and inflatable kayaks would be good boats to use

roo

Post by roo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Doorman wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:07 pm
We once went to the Finnish archipelago. 2 kids+ 2 adults so it was not too challenging but great fun. not sure about camping (we hired a home out there) but there were little, uninhabited islands everywhere which we used as snack breaks but I am sure you could camp on them. Does that help?
This (or Stockholm) is on our to do list. More info and useful links please!! 2 adults, 3 children - might be challenging in many ways :-)

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:48 pm

stayed here:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/18082947 ... 5lHgq9Vxsj

it was great.Just ask thehost about the kayaking as I cant rmeber the name

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”