Comfortable surf kayak?

Riding the waves
Jim Potter

Comfortable surf kayak?

Post by Jim Potter » Tue May 14, 2019 7:58 am

Hello,

I am based up in North Wales and am after some ideas on comfortable surf kayaks... I realise this is probably a personal thing. I got hold of an old radical moves hooker last year which I have used at Rhosneigr a few times. It's a pretty tight fit and I have to have ballerina/ pointy toes when in it which is limiting my ability to engage with turns etc. I like it, but am considering getting a newer design if I can find one I can afford.

What do people with big feet and long legs paddle?

Cheers,

Jim

Colin C

Re: Comfortable surf kayak?

Post by Colin C » Thu May 16, 2019 10:39 pm

I am neither, but I know some big guys who paddle surf boats comfortably.

The boats that they paddle are the long short boats like the Eclipse, Banshee, Bullet S, and also most modern IC boats.To make them even more comfortable you can cut away part of the centre pillar, to allow your heels to come together and put your feet in a more normal position.
There are some bigger HP boats as well, such as the Solar, Megatron, and a few more that have a little more room, but It depends on your weight whether the extra room is no good, as you are quite light, but I suggest you have a look at the long short boats to start with, and see if you can try, or even sit in some.

Colin