White Water London HELP

Inland paddling
sbrymatthew

White Water London HELP

Post by sbrymatthew » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:52 pm

Hello Everyone!

So, Ive been kayaking in London recently up lee valley, But its over 2 hours away! I want to find a community in London that goes white water kayaking maybe in the surrounding areas, the kind that trek through a field to find the right river!

Just really want to get out on real rivers and develop my skills and enjoy it all at the same time, without the burden of paying the lee valley fees! Don't get me wrong I love it up there, But 4 hours of travel for an hour on the water isn't ideal and just not enough to satisfy what I'm chasing.

Im looking for club recommendations, Ideas on places to visit, Ways to expand my skills! I want to fit as much kayaking in as I can!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, All support appreciated!

Strad

Re: White Water London HELP

Post by Strad » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Where in London? there are quite a few active clubs - Clapham and Meridian (based Bexley / Erith area) are ones I would recommend in the SE.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

sbrymatthew

Post by sbrymatthew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:58 am

East, Just past Stratford! Ill look into them I heard regents is the most active on the white water sounds of things but there club nights start before I finish work

bolaen

Post by bolaen » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:09 am

Tower Hamlets Canoe Club would be a bit closer to you. Club nights are based at Shadwell Basin in Wapping.

We do quite a bit of whitewater as well as sea kayaking. Club trips to Wales and Devon are roughly once a month during the season.

http://towerhamletscanoeclub.co.uk/wiki/Home

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Strad wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:54 pm
Where in London? there are quite a few active clubs - Clapham and Meridian (based Bexley / Erith area) are ones I would recommend in the SE.
Graham - Clapham CC is Canoe polo only and is in SW, (not SE!), London.

Lots of clubs in London catering for all types of paddling. (e.g. Shepperton - slalom, Richmond - racing, Chelsea - Sea kayaking, Clapham - polo, Battersea - various etc etc).

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/canoe-near-you

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:06 pm

PaddyW wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:54 pm
Strad wrote:
But all of London is in the SE...

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:25 am

PaddyW wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:54 pm
Strad wrote:

Lots of clubs in London catering for all types of paddling. (e.g. Shepperton - slalom, Richmond - racing, Chelsea - Sea kayaking, Clapham - polo, Battersea - various etc etc).

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/canoe-near-you
Na, you're not in SW London until you hit Putney :-), didn't know Clapham was polo only, thought they did real paddling as well :-D
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 pm

Emigrate to Wales!

mudlark

Post by mudlark » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Clapham is very def. south London

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:47 pm

The Royal Mail would agree with me that Clapham is SW rather than SE London! SW4 to be precise!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Londo ... 7753?hl=en

lakesboy

Post by lakesboy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:04 pm

lee valley, But its over 2 hours away! I want to find a community in London that goes white water kayaking maybe in the surrounding areas, the kind that trek through a field to find the right river!
2 hours drive....in the surrounding areas?

mmmm think you need to rethink your location if you want to go white water paddling......basically the south-east has none!!

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Your nearest white water is Lee Valley, your nearest ww rivers are Devon and South Wales (all further away). As stated above your home location is not good for closer ww trips.

Also 4 hrs, 2hrs each way from Clapham to Lee Valley, are you using a push bike. Its only 2 hrs from Southampton.

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 pm

Chas C wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:17 pm
Also 4 hrs, 2hrs each way from Clapham to Lee Valley, are you using a push bike. Its only 2 hrs from Southampton.
Actually it takes about 1 hour 15 or 1.5 hours from Clapham to LV. So about 3 hours travelling in total. There is a bit more traffic and red lights in Central London than on the M3 and M25!

Don't forget Thames weirs can have some meaty ww and they are popular with playboaters.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:31 pm

PaddyW wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 pm
Chas C wrote:
Actually it takes about 1 hour 15 or 1.5 hours from Clapham to LV. So about 3 hours travelling in total. There is a bit more traffic and red lights in Central London than on the M3 and M25!

Don't forget Thames weirs can have some meaty ww and they are popular with playboaters.
Thames weirs in the Winter months indeed, but time wise its not 2hrs so not sure what your trying to say. Clapham down the M3 to M25 then easy route round, in no way is it 2hrs.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Chas C wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:31 pm
PaddyW wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 pm
Chas C wrote:

Thames weirs in the Winter months indeed, but time wise its not 2hrs so not sure what your trying to say. Clapham down the M3 to M25 then easy route round, in no way is it 2hrs.
In any case it appears he lives in Stratford - so it would be hard to be more than 30 mins away :-)

PaddyW

Post by PaddyW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:48 pm

Chas C wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:35 pm
In any case it appears he lives in Stratford - so it would be hard to be more than 30 mins away :-)
A lot of London based ww kayaking newbies from local clubs go to LV for coached sessions by public transport and hire kit there. No need for a car however it can take a while, (several hours), to get there and back depending on where you are travelling from.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:59 pm

PaddyW wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:48 pm

A lot of London based ww kayaking newbies from local clubs go to LV for coached sessions by public transport and hire kit there. No need for a car however it can take a while, (several hours), to get there and back depending on where you are travelling from.
Indeed but finding somewhere closer for ww will be not possible for them - so again LV is likely to be his closest point whether they have a car or not.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”