Xceed-S?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Nicholas2

Xceed-S?

Post by Nicholas2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:14 am

Greetings!

I'm based in South Australia and from what I've been able to find out, the Xceed-S (the 'S' version given that I'm around 67kg) seems like a kayak with my name on it. Testing one here is not a practical option (at least, not any time soon) since the only place selling them in Australia is 1500km away.

There are not a huge number of personal observations about for this kayak, so I was hoping that since the Xceed was released, a few more people might be using them and can comment what it's like to use them? Anyone tried them in relatively rough sea waters for example?

Many thanks.

Cheers,
Nicholas

Murray carp

Re: Xceed-S?

Post by Murray carp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 am

Other option in your weight range is the valley Gemini. My fighting weights 62 and I find both the SP and ST versions very playful and not too slow compared to longer boats.

Although it’s a long way from you the NSW sea kayak symposium in 2 weekends time (30-31 March) would be a great chance to trial them

Nicholas2

Post by Nicholas2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 pm

Murray carp wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 am
Although it’s a long way from you the NSW sea kayak symposium in 2 weekends time (30-31 March) would be a great chance to trial them
Thanks. Sounds like fun, but interstate travel is not on the cards just at the moment. I may get to the East coast eventually though.

Cheers,
Nicholas

Nicholas2

Post by Nicholas2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:55 pm

Couldn't help myself. I ordered one. Should have it in May.

I suspect I'll be the only person with one of these in South Australia at this stage ... sort of test pilot. Hope I don't crash land, LOL.

Aled

Post by Aled » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:36 pm

Wishing you many miles of happy paddling! Aled

Nicholas2

Post by Nicholas2 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:43 am

Thanks, Aled.

I'm looking forward to using one of your latest creations!

Nicholas2

Re: Xceed-S? Update!

Post by Nicholas2 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:50 am

My Xceed-S arrived a couple of weeks ago - delivered from Expedition Kayaks in Sydney (thanks Mark Sundin!)

I figured I should at least report on it here, having started the thread during my initial investigations.

All I can say is that I was not disappointed! The caveat here is that I'm not an experienced kayaker (mostly a runner all my adult life), but I have tried various kayaks on a regular basis over the months this year. I was not able to try an Xceed here because there weren't any! However, the specs looked up my alley and advice from those I trusted tended to support that view. Also it's a beautiful boat :). It was the one with N9 (carbon-epoxy) lay-up that I chose.

The Xceed-S fit me perfectly - total comfort. Feet weren't squashed (most of my length is in my legs) and I didn't have to adopt an extreme frog-like position to anchor my legs under the braces. It was Goldilocks positioning - just right. No water leaked in, the boat handled predictably and moved swiftly. Below is a photo from my first session with it. Now, after my third session, I'm much more familiar with it and though it's in the middle of Winter here, I'm looking forward to paddling up to several times weekly - weather permitting.

In my paddling club, the Xceed certainly garnered a lot of interest.

SJD

Post by SJD » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Good luck with your new kayak. I’ve been curious to see reports on the Nelo built Tideraces. How is the construction, fit and finish?

Nicholas2

Post by Nicholas2 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 am

Thanks! It's beautifully finished - can't find fault with it. Fits me well. No water leakage into the hatches. Everything seems put together quite precisely. Would appear to be strong (N9 build), though I haven't tried dropping it onto concrete yet ;). This has worked out very well for me.

SJD

Post by SJD » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:10 pm

Thumbs up!