Kayaking/Rafting near Cusco, Peru

Inland paddling
chrissloan

Kayaking/Rafting near Cusco, Peru

Post by chrissloan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Me and some friends are going to be travelling in Peru next month and we're thinking of doing a 2 day rafting trip in the Cusco area. 2 of us are experienced kayakers (comfortable on grade 4) and the other 3 aren't, so we were looking at either all rafting, or us renting boats while the others raft the same river. Does anyone have any recommendations for companies running these sorts of trips? It's hard to tell how competent they are from websites alone.

Poke

Re: Kayaking/Rafting near Cusco, Peru

Post by Poke » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:47 pm

When I was in Peru, there were three companies who did trips on the Apurimac and Urubamba.
Mayuc, Swiss Raft and another I can't remember the name of.

Mayuc were the outfit that I paddled with most and seemed quite well set up. That was a loooong time ago though (2003!) so it could well have all changed by now!

I seem to remember the 1 day Urubamba section was quite chilled, max grade 3. The Apurimac was much more of an undertaking - a fair few raft portages due to preivous accidents on certain rapids and some meaty siphons. Stunning gorge though and beautiful rocks and scenery. Way better as an experience than the Urubamba. The Apurimac rafting trips were done over 3 days/2 nights, with great food, though if you were motivated I think it was perfectly possible to paddle that section in a day! There's another few days of paddling upstream of the commercial put in if you want to extend your trip, though maybe not so great for your non kayaking mates!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

DButler

Post by DButler » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:09 am

We went out in 2015, and hooked up with Amazonas Explorers, based in Cusco.

Very highly professional outfit, have some spare kayaks for rental. Paul (the boss) has undertaken several first descents, is British but now lives out there full time. He'll probably try to join you on the river if he can!

Apurimac is amazing, deffo top end 4 when we got on it at the end of the high water season.
www.danwilkinson.org
formerly known as Butler!

JohnV

Post by JohnV » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Seconded for Amazonas Explorer, very professional outfit.

chrissloan

Post by chrissloan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks a lot, I'll check out Amazonas Explorer.

KenHy

Post by KenHy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:00 am

I kayaked with Mayuc in 2014. They rented me all the gear and I tagged along with a rafting trip.

Did a cruisey section of the Urubamba one day to show I could actually paddle. Following day went along with their 2 or 3 day trip (can't actually remember how many nights on the river!) on the Apurimac. as Pole mentioned there were a few portages for the raft but everything runnable in a kayak (not that I did as remember on rapid in particular that had multiple fairly nasty looking siphons)

Would happily recommend Mayuc again.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”