PLB registration - is this a record?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
seawolf856

PLB registration - is this a record?

Post by seawolf856 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:48 am

I got a lovely new rescueME PLB1 for Christmas last year and registered it on line on boxing day 26/12/17. I have just received my acknowledgement and stickers in the post 11 months later - is this a record?
For the avoidance of doubt, I rang the registry to check that my device had been registered all along and would have worked from the day I did it on line. I was assured that it was and that it would.

andynormancx

Re: PLB registration - is this a record?

Post by andynormancx » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 am

Nope. Just got mine, that I registered sometime in autumn last year.

I wasn't expecting any actual paperwork, so I was surprised when it turned up yesterday.

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:17 pm

The backlog is due to increasing demand on a very old system.
The IT system emails the registrations to a data entry team, who have to type it in to a separate system! It seems mind blowing that this has been going on for years and nobody has hired a programmer to eliminate this step. Perhaps waiting to be part of some big new overall system redesign. No doubt the backlog is increasing as well because they are spending time responding to all the queries about why things are taking so long. Crazy.

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/ ... cons-.aspx

Daker

Post by Daker » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:33 pm

And meanwhile there are call-outs to PLB / EPIRB activations from devices which are not registered so the owner cannot be traced to confirm if a false alarm.

Like this one recently in Eyemouth -

Last edited by Daker on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:14 pm

andynormancx wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 am
Nope. Just got mine, that I registered sometime in autumn last year.

I wasn't expecting any actual paperwork, so I was surprised when it turned up yesterday.
Oh well, I can't even break a record when all I have to do is sit on my ar$e for a year! I knew there was a backlog with 406MHz beacon registrations I was just surprised like Andy when my stuff showed up.

Billy The Fisherman

Post by Billy The Fisherman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:26 pm

Mine took ages when I changed boats in 2016, possibly knocking on for a year. When the confirmation e-mail came it was oddly titled “Beacon registration Ref: Name (Official)”. Despite taking so long to clear in the system, the e-mail stated “Your data should become operationally effective from approximately 20.00 hrs this evening.” Which was very precise after so many months waiting.

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 pm

We received ours today after sending off the forms in mid September so 5 month wait; they seem to be slowly catching up

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Haha, I've just received a second identical letter and another set of stickers for my PLB - talk about waiting for a bus....

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:00 pm

You are getting paperwork for the registration, not only an email? I recently changed the address on my registration. At least I think I did as I didn't received an email. When I registered the PLB first time, I got an email stating because of time and cost, it will be send electronic only.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:28 pm

Yes, real paperwork, through the post. Along with stickers that I'm supposed to stick to my PLB, which for a kayaker is pointless as after a few immersions in sea water they'll be completely unreadable...

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Yes, real paperwork for me too! Only I received TWO sets of identical paperwork and TWO sets of identical stickers. Still, at least I've got some spares as the stickers will inevitably fall off as andynormancx has pointed out.

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:02 am

Yesterday I got an email
"We recently tried to contact you by post regarding your beacon registration (ADDRESS). Unfortunately our letter was returned to ourselves as unknown."

No wonder, I moved out of ADDRESS 7 months ago and updated to my new address 2 months ago.

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:05 pm

Wow, there is a record! I sent the email with the new address (what happened to my online change?) last night as I was on night shift. This morning I already got an answer attached the copy of the updated registration.

Though, someone hadn't her first coffee yet and there was a typo in the postcode. So I responded to highlight it as wrong postcodes, within a few minutes I got another email this time with correct data in the correction and the lady also stating that she is better getting herself some coffee :D