Lofoten - the drive

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
JMarkW

Lofoten - the drive

Post by JMarkW » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:53 pm

Thinking about a trip to the Lofoten Islands this summer.

Will have at least a month so thinking about taking the van but I'm not looking forward to actually driving there.

Anyone done it? How bad?

Cheers
Mark

jmmoxon

Re: Lofoten - the drive

Post by jmmoxon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:26 am

Viamichelin gives you a good idea of costs & times, based on your vehicle, but you seem to need to register to use it now. Obviously need to add rest breaks to the calculation.
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:27 pm

We drove from Cheshire to Roros/Rogen, which is only about half the way up Norway towards Lofoten. This took 3 days each way, basically, almost non-stop. We used the Harwich-Hook of Holland ferry, timed it so we could sleep on that, then drove across Holland/Germany/Denmark, ferry from Grenaa to Varberg (second nights' brief kip!), then up Sweden to Rogen, another day's drive. You'd need to add another day or two.

To be honest, it was fine on the way, with the excitement of the trip to come, but on the way back, it was pretty hellish! I'd probably think of breaking the journey for a day, or at least some proper nights sleep in hotels, as the "sleeping on the move" thing isn't the same at all. You might want to look at other ferry options, say from Kiel to Oslo, which would break the journey more. With a month to play with, maybe pick a couple of halfway destinations to enjoy each way, and stay there a couple of nights. There are plenty of spectacular places to stop at, that's for sure!

Other things. Driving some of the way in Sweden allows for some cheaper shopping! Speed limits are generally fairly low. Roads are easy, beautiful but you won't be moving at motorway pace much once in Norway.

On the way back we used the Bridge of Doom from Sweden to Copenhagen. So called because of how it feels when you're two hundred feet up in the sky for miles, in a gale, with 2 large canoes on the roof of the van, and the drivers knuckles turning white as he gripped the wheel to counteract the gusts...

We need the rumoured return of the Newcastle-Bergen ferry to happen!

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:11 pm

Unfortunately hasn't been even a rumour since 2015, cheap flights pretty much did for any profit they could make.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

JMarkW

Post by JMarkW » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks guys.

Though it doesn't inspire me....especially as I'll be doing the drive solo. At least I'll be in my van so sleep en-route easily enough.

I'll be going to Flatanger on the way back for a few weeks which will hopefully break the journey up a bit...

Just got the guide book to Lofoten. Wow.

thanks again
cheers
mark

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:27 pm
On the way back we used the Bridge of Doom from Sweden to Copenhagen. So called because of how it feels when you're two hundred feet up in the sky for miles, in a gale, with 2 large canoes on the roof of the van, and the drivers knuckles turning white as he gripped the wheel to counteract the gusts...
Heh. I live in Denmark. A few years ago, a fellow paddler and I reached the conclusion that it wasn't our paddling skills which set the limitation for allowable wind speed for kayaking - it was our fear for driving over the Danish bridges in wind with a kayak on the roof.

JB-NL

Post by JB-NL » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:44 pm

Allan Olesen wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:32 pm
Mal Grey wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:27 pm
Heh. I live in Denmark. A few years ago, a fellow paddler and I reached the conclusion that it wasn't our paddling skills which set the limitation for allowable wind speed for kayaking - it was our fear for driving over the Danish bridges in wind with a kayak on the roof.
As alternative you can take the ferry helsingbor-helsingor, no bridge but short brake....
JB
--==Never go faster than your Angel can fly==--

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:46 pm

JB-NL wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:44 pm
As alternative you can take the ferry helsingbor-helsingor, no bridge but short brake....
JB
I think I have a pretty good idea of the transportation options in my home country.

JB-NL

Post by JB-NL » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 am

Allan Olesen wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:46 pm
JB-NL wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:44 pm
JB
I think I have a pretty good idea of the transportation options in my home country.
Allan, I am pretty sure you have a good idea of the possibilities in your area.
But my comment was meant for the TS. ;)

JB

Allan Olesen

Post by Allan Olesen » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:01 am

JB-NL wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 am
Then I see no reason for quoting me in your comment.

JB-NL

Post by JB-NL » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:14 am

Allan Olesen wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:01 am
JB-NL wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 am
JB

UKRGB Moderator

Post by UKRGB Moderator » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:56 pm

As a reader of the thread, I assumed the quote (from two paddlers who both found the winds on the bridge difficult) to be to add context to the reason for suggesting an alternative route.

JMarkW

Post by JMarkW » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:16 pm

Hey guys thanks everyone.

It's all going a bit scando noir!!!

Happy paddling.
Cheers mark

Backwater

Post by Backwater » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:52 pm

You could contact Lisa &Duncan Greene of Greene Adventures (other excellent sea kayaking guides are available) who do the trip, although their level of van comfort may or may not be superior to yours. Have fun. Would love to do the trip sometime too. Touchy folk though over there. :)