For sale: P & H Sirius HF

Sea Kayaking for sale and wanted adverts
PaulScorpio

For sale: P & H Sirius HF

Post by PaulScorpio » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:59 pm

I have my P & H Sirius HF sea kayak (keyhole cockpit) for sale, to make room for my new boat.
It has had the skeg cable and slider, hatch covers and deck elastics all replaced in the last 12 months.
It comes with the split paddles which fit the deck recesses.
It also has a compass recess.
As can be seen from the pictures this kayak is in very good condition as it has had an easy life, which is reflected in the condition of the hull and deck.
Located: Christchurch, Dorset.
Price £600

Dave O Hare

Re: For sale: P & H Sirius HF

Post by Dave O Hare » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi,
I am fairly new to paddling and not familiar with this boat, i am looking for a composite for sea and day tours,i am 5'9 and around 11.5 st? Would you say this is suitable for me?

Dave

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:52 pm

The Sirius would be fine for your height and weight but would be a challenge to your paddling experience. It's intended as an expedition boat and has a reputation for 'twitchy' initial stability, particularly unloaded. I'd look for something like an NDK Explorer, P&H Cetus or Rockpool Alaw (and there's a Tiderace equivalent but since the names all begin with X I can never remember which!)

ringmaster

Post by ringmaster » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi...PM sent! Very interested....

Irish Sea

Post by Irish Sea » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:47 pm

Chris Bolton wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:52 pm
The Sirius would be fine for your height and weight but would be a challenge to your paddling experience. It's intended as an expedition boat and has a reputation for 'twitchy' initial stability, particularly unloaded. I'd look for something like an NDK Explorer, P&H Cetus or Rockpool Alaw (and there's a Tiderace equivalent but since the names all begin with X I can never remember which!)
The TR Xcite should be the one closest to the Rockpool Alaw/Alaw Bach

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:22 pm

My apologies to the OP - I replied to the interested second poster without thinking where the post was, I didn't mean to be effectively reviewing the boat he was trying to sell and listing alternatives!

PaulScorpio

Post by PaulScorpio » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:07 am

I've read all the comments about the Sirius and would like to offer the following observations as the owner.

I first paddled this boat several years ago as an absolute beginner with no kayaking experience whatsoever, and on my very first outing successfully paddled around Brownsea Island in Poole harbour without falling in. It's a boat that tracks beautifully, behaves at its best when in rougher water (something I have read other paddlers remark on) and really makes you work on fine-tuning your skills.

I have had many people ask what size of paddler it suits - well, I am 5'8" tall and 11.5 stone and it fits me very comfortably. That said, it has also been paddled 50 miles around the Isle of Wight by someone over 6 foot tall, so by adjusting the seat and / or the thigh braces, you can get a good paddling position.

Let me know if you need any more information.

PaulScorpio

Post by PaulScorpio » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:07 am

Thanks perhaps to the great weather we've been having recently, this boat has now been sold.

Return to “Sea Kayaking Gear For Sale”