Paddling Near Birmingham

Inland paddling
Liam1909

Paddling Near Birmingham

Post by Liam1909 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:45 pm

Anyone know of any places to paddle grade 3 or above water near Birmingham? The closer the better

TIA
Pyranha Machno

DaveBland

Re: Paddling Near Birmingham

Post by DaveBland » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:51 pm

Nuttun nearby.
If you go by time rather than distance, HPP is probably closest.
There's a few weirs around Warwick and Stratford that are okay with water for a splash around.
Mattlock is probably next closest but a bit crap.
Otherwise you are into Wales.
dave

John K

Post by John K » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Llangollen is only 90 minutes away. That counts as local in my book!

Liam1909

Post by Liam1909 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Cheers guys, we normally do the Dee, Tee or go to CIWWC.

Was just looking/Hoping and praying for something a little closer
Pyranha Machno

Franky

Post by Franky » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:49 am

You need high hills for grade 3 or above. If you look at a relief map of Britain, you'll see that the area around Birmingham is not very hilly.

Shropshire and the Peak District are hilly regions that are closer to Birmingham than Wales, but for some reason neither has good white water, as far as I know.

Living in East Anglia (even flatter and further from hills than Birmingham), I just accept that 80% of my paddling is going to be at Lee Valley.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:09 am

They don't have large catchments with steep run off.

If you click on map there's a couple of weirs on the Trent & at Shrewsbury (all too low at mo):
http://rainchasers.com/river-levels

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:20 pm

Franky wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:49 am
You need high hills for grade 3 or above. If you look at a relief map of Britain, you'll see that the area around Birmingham is not very hilly.

Shropshire and the Peak District are hilly regions that are closer to Birmingham than Wales, but for some reason neither has good white water, as far as I know.

Living in East Anglia (even flatter and further from hills than Birmingham), I just accept that 80% of my paddling is going to be at Lee Valley.
Peak District has a few good runs, but you need to see zebras queueing up in twos before they're runnable

EDIT - a bit more info:

Runs that occasionally get when it tips down - Wye (Buxton to Litton) G2(3), Derwent (Bamford to Calver) G2(3), Ashop G2-4 depending on who you ask, where they got in and how high the water was), Etherow 3-4 as above, River Noe G2(3), River Dane G2(3), Heyden Brook (4/5??? can't remember)

Also rumoured that Burbage Brook has been done a couple of times at a Grade 2/3 ish tree strewn pinball experience, and it's continuation down Padley Gorge at a death defying grade 5 ish.

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:43 pm

The upper Don, from Deepcar to Oughtibridge North of Sheffield deserves a mention at Grade 2/3 ish too. It's probably easier to catch than any of the true spate streams, but even so you only really get a few hours after the rain stops.
andypagett wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:20 pm
Also rumoured that Burbage Brook has been done a couple of times at a Grade 2/3 ish tree strewn pinball experience, and it's continuation down Padley Gorge at a death defying grade 5 ish.
I saw Bar Brook in a similar condition one day last winter, the bit that runs parallel to the A621 as you drive from Sheffield down in to Baslow. Anyone surviving the experience would have been deposited into the Derwent on the Chatsworth Estate, where they'd have been over the two big weirs and away towards Matlock before anyone could stop them. ;-)

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:42 pm

I think you'd better face it, there's not much around Brum for paddling. But on the upside, you get to live in Brum.
dave

Franky

Post by Franky » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:24 pm

DaveBland wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:42 pm
I think you'd better face it, there's not much around Brum for paddling. But on the upside, you get to live in Brum.
:)

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Once discussed the plan to build a cross between LV and the eden project south of London. If only one of us had won the £142M jackpot......
I can roll :)

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:50 am

DaveBland wrote:
Is that why you live in Canada?

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:41 am

Sean_soup wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:43 pm
The upper Don, from Deepcar to Oughtibridge North of Sheffield deserves a mention at Grade 2/3 ish too. It's probably easier to catch than any of the true spate streams, but even so you only really get a few hours after the rain stops.
Good shout - I'd forgotten about that - and really ought to do it soon!
I saw Bar Brook in a similar condition one day last winter, the bit that runs parallel to the A621 as you drive from Sheffield down in to Baslow. Anyone surviving the experience would have been deposited into the Derwent on the Chatsworth Estate, where they'd have been over the two big weirs and away towards Matlock before anyone could stop them. ;-)
Amazing. I'd always wondered if that 'goes'

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:00 pm

jmmoxon wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:50 am
DaveBland wrote:
Is that why you live in Canada?

Mike
Ah, I didn't say Canada wasn't even better... But yes, I love Brum.
dave